U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:48 AM

6,362 posts, read 1,401,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Not that this should matter and I don't get why it has to be a non-majority white country? Maybe you can expand on this because it makes you sound quite bitter.
Everywhere you go there are different types of prejudice and discrimination. Perhaps he is looking to live somewhere with less discrimination based on race/color and is therefore exploring options outside of predominantly white nations. Of course, such prejudices can and do exist in various non-white majority nations as well. However, there is nothing problematic in looking for a different experience in another country.

As someone of African descent who has lived in the mainland U.S. and in the predominantly non-white U.S. Caribbean, I favor various aspects of life in the latter. As far as raising children, I believe that there are major benefits to raising children of African descent in predominantly African or mixed nations/territories, after which they are better off when living in predominantly white or other environments. They will then have a strong cultural foundation and somewhere that is unquestionably home.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

2,301 posts, read 870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuscus_ View Post
I've traveled all over America and if one thing is consistent it's this "We are the best and have the best of EVERYTHING, and we're the most accepting...", attitude without having been anywhere else besides America. I've talked to Black Americans who are much happier abroad, and have experienced LESS racism and/or no racism in countries other than America. Got to love that Western media, and how they portray the rest of the world. I see and understand why American's have such a negative reputation around the world. Places that I have researched that have excellent standards of living that are non-White majority are Barbados, Gabon, Seychelle, the Bahamas, Philippines, Nigeria, and much of the Caribbean those are the ones I can think of based on the little research I've done, I'm sure there's MANY more...Before anyone gives a knee jerk reply, please do your research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannen View Post
A lot of people's posts have summed up quite nicely why I'm looking to get out of here. There are SEVERAL developed non-White majority countries. I've traveled all over America and if one thing is consistent it's this "We are the best and have the best of EVERYTHING, and we're the most accepting...", attitude without having been anywhere else besides America. I've talked to Black Americans who are much happier abroad, and have experienced LESS racism and/or no racism in countries other than America. Got to love that Western media, and how they portray the rest of the world. I see and understand why American's have such a negative reputation around the world. Places that I have researched that have excellent standards of living that are non-White majority are Barbados, Gabon, Seychelle, the Bahamas, Philippines, Nigeria, and much of the Caribbean those are the ones I can think of based on the little research I've done, I'm sure there's MANY more...Before anyone gives a knee jerk reply, please do your research.
Hmm...🧐

Old Today, 10:28 AM

1,815 posts, read 796,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Everywhere you go there are different types of prejudice and discrimination. Perhaps he is looking to live somewhere with less discrimination based on race/color and is therefore exploring options outside of predominantly white nations. Of course, such prejudices can and do exist in various non-white majority nations as well. However, there is nothing problematic in looking for a different experience in another country.
Consider the opposing OP statement.

"I'm looking to move to Africa or the Caribbean for a while. What is the best non-black majority country for me to move to - or at least where the black population is less prevalent?".

Old Today, 10:41 AM

6,362 posts, read 1,401,949 times
Quote:
Consider the opposing OP statement.

"I'm looking to move to Africa or the Caribbean for a while. What is the best non-black majority country for me to move to - or at least where the black population is less prevalent?".
This is not the equivalent of what the OP asking. It would be coming from someone who is already living in a predominantly African/African descended nation, looking for the best majority white or majority non-black place to live.

Old Today, 12:08 PM

13,261 posts, read 14,554,043 times
Quote:
Not that this should matter and I don't get why it has to be a non-majority white country? Maybe you can expand on this because it makes you sound quite bitter.

It depends what your criteria for white is. This Chilean in the following video will almost definitely identify as white but its obvious he's not completely white. Conversely the Venezuelan and Colombian dudes in the video will almost definitely identify as Mestizo (Mixed native American-white), however, in my opinion they look more "white" than the Chilean. So yes, as has been said, you should take census recorded percentages in Latin America with a pinch of salt.
If OP simply wants to not see many "white" people, there are certainly plenty of locations around the globe where he can find that. The vast majority of the world, in fact.

However, with regard to whether Latin Americans, like in the example of Chileans, Venezuaelans, and Columbians and their racial self-identification is concerned, the point is moot. If he is trying to find a country where people will act with some sort of "Non-White Solidarity" to him, he is in for a sad disappointment.

No one will invite him to Christmas dinner just because he is a "fellow brown brother". The White vs. POC (person of color, i.e. not white) dichotomy is largely a U.S. phenomenon, and one that has been socially engineered rather recently, at that. In fact, out of SJW circles and university protests, I'd say it doesn't even exist in the U.S.

Old Today, 12:08 PM

1,815 posts, read 796,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
This is not the equivalent of what the OP asking. It would be coming from someone who is already living in a predominantly African/African descended nation, looking for the best majority white or majority non-black place to live.
Let's say the OP in this scenario is hypothetically a white South African looking for another country in Africa or a white Trinidadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World