Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Australia does offer lifestyle choices that are far wider than the average person would ever seriously consider; corporate Sydney, alternative lifestyle and hippy coastal towns, farm and agriculture based towns, outback towns, historic and quiet Tasmania, tropical centres with unique population and social mixes, locals that are socially progressive and others that are distinctly conservative, .................

True it does have the opportunities, or competition for them, of the US.

To me Australia is definitely in the top 3 destination to live....Europe (especially Southern Europe), Australia and the US. I spent 3 years living Down Under and I loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaplundo View Post
I think Australia is ideal for people who appreciate food, coffee, fitness and outdoor activities. However, passionate urbanites from elsewhere might feel disappointed.
Yes, it is very much a day culture, especially compared to Europe. In the main cities, people work hard and generally do not have domestic help, except perhaps for a cleaner every two weeks. By the time your average family gets up early, gets themselves to work, school, daycare and back, eat, do chores etc they collapse into bed by 10pm.
it amazes me in Europe to see so many people wandering around later at night, even on a Sunday night.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
This is a pipe dream, and you know it. If Trump does figure out a way to stop illegal immigration (which he won't), there is absolutely zero chance that he will try to improve our healthcare. Because let's be honest, Trump doesn't give a crap about Americans, this is a big joke to him
After the Mexican border wall is built, the amount of illegal immigration into the U.S. will become minimal. That will allow our country to focus on improving the lives of American citizens without that distraction.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:38 AM

1,846 posts, read 832,803 times
Of those five countries. I could only see myself living in Australia, USA, and the UK with the exception of England. Personally i'd like to see some Asian countries in there Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea. Australia's little relative New Zealand would also sound nice.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Of those five countries. I could only see myself living in Australia, USA, and the UK with the exception of England. Personally i'd like to see some Asian countries in there Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea. Australia's little relative New Zealand would also sound nice.
England has some beautiful areas from Cornwall across the south and in to the North and there are numerous beautiful national parks such as the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District.

National Parks UK

Old 12-10-2017, 04:40 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
While Australia definitely belongs on the list, service in this country is severely lacking.

Businesses open and close without sticking to a proper schedule (mostly retail). Food deliveries often don’t come on time and no compensation is given for late arrivals.

The other thing that kind of annoys is me is how half of the people get lost when I ask for ketchup with my fries. Have you never seen a Hollywood movie in your life?

Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,520,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
While Australia definitely belongs on the list, service in this country is severely lacking.

Businesses open and close without sticking to a proper schedule (mostly retail). Food deliveries often don’t come on time and no compensation is given for late arrivals.

The other thing that kind of annoys is me is how half of the people get lost when I ask for ketchup with my fries. Have you never seen a Hollywood movie in your life?
Not necessarily and we do not necessarily want to adopt every random Americanism that someone likes to use. If you know you want what we call tomato sauce, just ask for tomato sauce. That is very much a first world problem.
Yes, service is not up to the standard of in particular, North America. You could argue til the cows come home (is that an Aussie saying? I am not sure!) whether that is entirely the blame of our non-tipping culture. I have not had any issues with retail businesses not opening on schedule in the part of Sydney that I live in. But in one of the nearby areas with a large Chinese population some of the shops open later than usual.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Not necessarily and we do not necessarily want to adopt every random Americanism that someone likes to use. If you know you want what we call tomato sauce, just ask for tomato sauce. That is very much a first world problem.
Yes, service is not up to the standard of in particular, North America. You could argue til the cows come home (is that an Aussie saying? I am not sure!) whether that is entirely the blame of our non-tipping culture. I have not had any issues with retail businesses not opening on schedule in the part of Sydney that I live in. But in one of the nearby areas with a large Chinese population some of the shops open later than usual.
I know it’s called tomato sauce in AU which is fine, I just don’t get how so many people are oblivious to ketchup when it’s such a common term. Most Aussies watch American movies, so I kind of expect them to know what Ketchup is.

The other thing is that I don’t associate tomato sauce with ketchup. To me tomato sauce refers to something like Napoli sauce.

First world problems indeed

Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I know it’s called tomato sauce in AU which is fine, I just don’t get how so many people are oblivious to ketchup when it’s such a common term. Most Aussies watch American movies, so I kind of expect them to know what Ketchup is.

The other thing is that I don’t associate tomato sauce with ketchup. To me tomato sauce refers to something like Napoli sauce.

First world problems indeed
They most likely totally understand what you want, but the issue is.... why would you want to?

Most people would probably use something like sweet chili or stay with flavored salt.

You will find “tomato ketchup” on sale in most supermarkets.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 12-10-2017 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 01:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaplundo View Post
I think Australia is ideal for people who appreciate food, coffee, fitness and outdoor activities. However, passionate urbanites from Europe might feel disappointed with the nightlife and public transport. Those are the weaknesses I've noticed.
Europe has great food and coffee, so it’s not an Australian thing.

But yes if one strongly prefers an urban life, countries like Australia, Canada and the US (except nyc) is not gonna cut it.

Depending on the region, outdoor activities can be as esasily accessible in Europe too. I live in one of those regions. Not everyone in Europe lives in Paris or Milan.

It’s an American forum so obviously English speaking new continents will be preferred. People elsewhere might have different preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World