Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Not sure that I'd say the right to bear arms, makes America great, but it's a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:42 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
The only way I would ever want to bear arms is to hold my arms out to give someone a hug.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
Copy/pasted from another forum...in a desperate yet heroic attempt to show people that Usa & Co. aren't that great...lol:

"I've spent a few months in Eastern Europe spread out over two years. Seriously was considering relocating if Shrillary had won. Decided for reasons mentioned above that the US is where I need to be for the foreseeable future. I'm maximizing my ability to influence my field of interest, make and save money, and soon relocating domestically for improved QoL.

The general inefficiency of govt processes, lazy / woe-is-me and anti-American attitudes of many people I met overseas convinced me it was no paradise. The language barrier also sucks and you're always an outsider. Worth having a fall back country or favorite vacation spot but I'm definitely about making the most of my opportunities here. With the way Trump and co. are shining lights on and cleaning out the bull**** and corruption, I'm even more proud to be an native-born American!"

Old 01-13-2018, 04:48 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Another important thing to note is that gun violence has declined dramatically in the U.S. over the last 30 years. There is reason to believe it will decline further as there is evidence that politicians and law enforcement are finally figuring out effective ways to combat and prevent violence and crimes in general. Technological changes are also helping in this regard.

It is entirely possible for gun violence in the U.S. to eventually come down to the average European level.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The best way to understand this is to realize that there are 2 Americas. The first America is the great majority of mainstream, law-abiding citizens for whom the right to bear arms in the U.S. Constitution is an iconic freedom that they hold in high regard and do not misuse.

The other America is a dark, isolated underworld of criminals, gang members and drug dealers in certain parts of U.S. cities who are literally at war with each other every year. For them, there is no sanctity of human life. Nobody with the means to live elsewhere ever wants to live in those places. This is where the high number of homicides in America comes from.
That doesn´t make America very great. The citizens of great America shouldn´t feel the need to carry a gun. Dark America shouldn´t be existing in great America.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not sure that I'd say the right to bear arms, makes America great, but it's a plus.
No it isn't, it means that the amount of people being shot to death every year there is shamefully, astronomically high, I don't think that is much of a positive! I also don't think its something to shout about, its something to be ashamed of.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Another important thing to note is that gun violence has declined dramatically in the U.S. over the last 30 years. There is reason to believe it will decline further as there is evidence that politicians and law enforcement are finally figuring out effective ways to combat and prevent violence and crimes in general. Technological changes are also helping in this regard.

It is entirely possible for gun violence in the U.S. to eventually come down to the average European level.
It's a moving target, if you pardon the pun Yes, it has declined in the US, but violence in other jurisdictions has also declined, so the US is still way out in left field compared to other countries.

How far will it decline? Well I guess that depends on what you believe is causing the decline. What is changing in the US is that mass shootings are on the rise. Which if I lived in the US, would cause me more concern about my personal safety than having the shootings being gangs fighting gangs, drug wars and being kept in certain neighbourhoods.

Mass shootings in America are a serious problem -- and these charts show just why - CNN

Why Are U.S. Mass Shootings Getting Deadlier?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
That doesn´t make America very great. The citizens of great America shouldn´t feel the need to carry a gun. Dark America shouldn´t be existing in great America.
This is true. There is no reason for people to carry guns in a first world country. That's one reason why many of us are starting to think that this is no longer a first world country. It's more like a place where you could get shot at any time. You never know who might be carrying a gun.

Police carry guns because it's their job to enforce the law but ordinary citizens should not be walking the streets with guns. A large number of innocent school children were murdered by a gun in my state a few years ago. Down south where people love guns so much, men walk into churches and murder dozens of people. That's what guns are for--killing. There are certain parts of this country where people are in love with guns--better to just stay away from those places. Those people don't like the rest of us anyway.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No it isn't, it means that the amount of people being shot to death every year there is shamefully, astronomically high, I don't think that is much of a positive! I also don't think its something to shout about, its something to be ashamed of.
I think it's a positive because it enables a person the best means to defend themselves.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:42 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That's an interesting take. Most people outside of the US view that as a negative. What do you think the benefits are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World