U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:03 AM

6,278 posts, read 6,717,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
While I’ve stated in the past that I support Israel’s claim to Jerusalem, I’m not sure this is the best move. There are still far too many tensions in the area and this is likely to cause more strife.
What are your thoughts on this?
the only good thing about it is that it removes any shred of doubt that the usa was ever anything but 100% biased towards israel in that particular conflict

it will go down very well in america and will give trump a big bump in the polls , unconditional support for israel is about the one thing which all americans and political parties wholeheartedly agree upon , israel has cult like support in america , its an absolute article of faith , so much so that many over there put israel ahead of their own country on a regular basis , america is truly unique in this regard

there never ever was a peace process in the mid east as israel have absolutely no interest in any , expansion is what they are about and they will get it too over time , the second most powerful nation on earth

Old Today, 05:13 AM

5,742 posts, read 9,135,854 times
The problem is East Jerusalem, reunified with W Jerusalem in 1967. The Palestinians never accepted that reunification. Most non -israeli people are perfectly fine with having that city divided. It wasn't fine for Berlin, neither is it for Nicosia, but Jerusalem should remain divided because of a 1948 treaty. They want History to remain stuck in the past. Personally, I don't buy it. Trump did the right thing.

Old Today, 05:19 AM

235 posts, read 59,619 times
I was just in Jerusalem last weekend.

It should be stated that Israel controls the entire city, and has no plans to give back Jerusalem to some internationally administered district as was proposed in the 1948 treaty. So this move is largely symbolic. It's time for the Palestinian people to accept reality. In day-to-day life, they already have since those in E. Jerusalem already live in Israel and need to cross a check point to go into the West Bank.

I have sympathy for the Palestinian people but reality is reality, and just as this area was under the British and Ottomans before, it's time for Palestinians to accept they're under Israeli/Jewish rule now.

Old Today, 05:25 AM

235 posts, read 59,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the only good thing about it is that it removes any shred of doubt that the usa was ever anything but 100% biased towards israel in that particular conflict
If you needed this event to understand the US is biased towards Israel then you were living under a rock for many years.

Quote:
it will go down very well in america and will give trump a big bump in the polls , unconditional support for israel is about the one thing which all americans and political parties wholeheartedly agree upon , israel has cult like support in america , its an absolute article of faith , so much so that many over there put israel ahead of their own country on a regular basis , america is truly unique in this regard
I have seen something I never expected to see in the American media - light criticism of Israel and the idea of the embassy being moved to Jerusalem. The media used to be lock-step in favor of Israel as long as I can remember - at least the MM like CNN. But now the climate has changed - due to their constant opposition to Trump and this is reflected in the coverage of this story.

Quote:
there never ever was a peace process in the mid east as israel have absolutely no interest in any , expansion is what they are about and they will get it too over time , the second most powerful nation on earth
Israel is no where near the 2nd most powerful nation in the world. Israel would be lucky if it broke the top ten.

Now, Israel also has no interest in expending. Most of the southern portions of Israel is desert and mountains and canyons and can be developed if need be. Israel has returned territories (like Sinai) and I think at this point Israel just wants to control the territories she has in peace.

Old Today, 05:56 AM

961 posts, read 327,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
What does he hope to accomplish?
Two major things:

a) He confirms the concept to other world leaders that when he (and therefore, we) says something, we mean it (as opposed to "the red line in the sand" & Syria), .... and...

2) establishes a larger pool of bargaining chips for use as sacrificial concessions when we all return to peace negotiations.. which he is about to advocate.

As others have pointed out above, the bad actors in the area already have plenty of excuses to justify their violent actions.

This doesn't really change anything except to raise the level of the inflammatory rhetoric. Please remember the really lame worry of the Liberals that "Guantanamo was a recruiting tool of the Extremists", yet there were two attempts on the WTC BEFORE that prison camp had been established and NONE after.

Old Today, 06:08 AM

5,235 posts, read 1,640,141 times
Getting involved in Middle Eastern Politics yet gain - what could possible go wrong.

Jerusalem status: World condemns Trump's announcement - BBC News

U.N., European Union and Pope Criticize Trumpís Jerusalem Announcement - New York Times

Old Today, 07:27 AM

2,036 posts, read 643,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

Right, they're about "expansion." And they "expanded" by unilaterally withdrawing from Gaza going so far as forcibly removing Jews who refused to leave because the PA demanded their newly acquired territory be Judenfrei. Israel's thanks from the people who finally got the land they've been demanding for decades? A 10-year wave of terror and thousands upon thousands of rockets rained down on them from the land they had just ceded. And then thickies wonder why they're not in any hurry to cede the West Bank and make themselves vulnerable from BOTH sides instead of just one.

Even so, Israel has also pushed their "expansion" plan in other such dastardly ways as offering to cede substantially ALL of the West Bank, an offer that was summarily rejected with no counter-offer.

But as the "expansion" agenda goes, nothing is so bold and cheeky as declaring their capital city is their capital city. Now THAT takes the cake.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I was just in Jerusalem last weekend.

It should be stated that Israel controls the entire city, and has no plans to give back Jerusalem to some internationally administered district as was proposed in the 1948 treaty. So this move is largely symbolic. It's time for the Palestinian people to accept reality. In day-to-day life, they already have since those in E. Jerusalem already live in Israel and need to cross a check point to go into the West Bank.

I have sympathy for the Palestinian people but reality is reality, and just as this area was under the British and Ottomans before, it's time for Palestinians to accept they're under Israeli/Jewish rule now.
few people will happily submit to such a duff deal , i would not hold out too much hope of the palestinians doing so either , nor do i expect them to pay much heed to what most americans think about the issue , seeing as the vast majority are utterly brain washed when it comes to this subject

Old Today, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
If you needed this event to understand the US is biased towards Israel then you were living under a rock for many years.

I have seen something I never expected to see in the American media - light criticism of Israel and the idea of the embassy being moved to Jerusalem. The media used to be lock-step in favor of Israel as long as I can remember - at least the MM like CNN. But now the climate has changed - due to their constant opposition to Trump and this is reflected in the coverage of this story.

Israel is no where near the 2nd most powerful nation in the world. Israel would be lucky if it broke the top ten.

Now, Israel also has no interest in expending. Most of the southern portions of Israel is desert and mountains and canyons and can be developed if need be. Israel has returned territories (like Sinai) and I think at this point Israel just wants to control the territories she has in peace.
israel has absolute support from america , for all intents and purposes , it can rely on the usa for everything , no other country has this level of support from the u.s , it is far and away its closest ally

Old Today, 09:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 16,322,433 times
This was decades in the making. It was inevitable that Jerusalem would become the capital of Israel. Trump is merely a catalyst.

Israel is the most successful and the most democratic nation in the middle east. Why wouldn't America stand by Israel? Good move, I say. America is back. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World