U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2018, 05:28 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,234 posts, read 5,626,069 times
Reputation: 4109

Advertisements

Colombia has a better healthcare system than the US too lol. Our healthcare system is a disaster especially for the amount of money we pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
6,772 posts, read 3,037,806 times
Reputation: 2194
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,062 posts, read 7,805,361 times
Reputation: 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This argument between PPP and nominal figures is stupid. Both are good indicators for different things i.e. local cost of living vs international market purchasing power.

The whole argument of the cost of an iphone is such a snowflake thing to say. An iphone is not a necessity for life or even happiness and there are plenty of more economical quality options out there. Shelter, Food, Water and Clothing are the basic human needs, followed by healthcare, sanitation and education. All these factors and even technology are touched upon in the video I posted. To say cost of living has no bearing (which PPP represents) is to be uneducated in economics or just basic common sense.
Yep, they're both highly relevant for different things. PPP is relevant to what you can live on but doesn't help you buy that Mercedes or Iphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM
 
3,089 posts, read 1,860,559 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, they're both highly relevant for different things. PPP is relevant to what you can live on but doesn't help you buy that Mercedes or Iphone.

Not all global items are priced the same in different markets....the Mercedes example is a good one.....in Australia a German luxury car is much more expensive than the US (even when considering exchange rates) because of additional taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,062 posts, read 7,805,361 times
Reputation: 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Colombia has a better healthcare system than the US too lol. Our healthcare system is a disaster especially for the amount of money we pay for it
Cheaper but better?....I don't think so. Columbia still has a murder rate 5 times higher than the US and the lifespan is 5 years less then US. Otherwise, it's a nice country provided you don't have to earn your income there....you can certainly live very cheaply there but you could also live cheaply in Peru which is safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Washington State
15,062 posts, read 7,805,361 times
Reputation: 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Not all global items are priced the same in different markets....the Mercedes example is a good one.....in Australia a German luxury car is much more expensive than the US (even when considering exchange rates) because of additional taxes.
That's true but the point I was trying to make is that you can buy services and food very cheaply in low wage countries like Columbia or Vietnam but you can't buy a foreign manufactured item below the cost to make it so that prevents the average working person in those countries from buying international products in many cases even though they can live on much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
 
3,089 posts, read 1,860,559 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's true but the point I was trying to make is that you can buy services and food very cheaply in low wage countries like Columbia or Vietnam but you can't buy a foreign manufactured item below the cost to make it so that prevents the average working person in those countries from buying international products in many cases even though they can live on much less.

Many countries have an economic policy based on import substitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 04:37 PM
 
577 posts, read 380,919 times
Reputation: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Cheaper but better?....I don't think so. Columbia still has a murder rate 5 times higher than the US and the lifespan is 5 years less then US. Otherwise, it's a nice country provided you don't have to earn your income there....you can certainly live very cheaply there but you could also live cheaply in Peru which is safer.
sure.






Last edited by joacocanal; 01-04-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
9,598 posts, read 10,801,520 times
Reputation: 3986
Wow Gold Coast has a really good cost of living for Aussie standards! I could so see myself living there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,234 posts, read 5,626,069 times
Reputation: 4109
^

You can't always trust that sort of statistic, especially when comparing between different countries, and moreso when these countries have different economic situations. You don't really believe that Haiti or Belize are safer than the US, right? Argentina, Ecuador, and Peru are all known to be the safer Latin American countries and have better police than somewhere like Mexico or Honduras
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top