U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:32 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,188,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not really. At the surface maybe but that's all. It is mostly safe that is true, maybe even safer than most Western cities but when it comes to societal norms it is all but Western. I personally wouldn't want to live or travel to a place where hundreds of thousands of people are oppressed just because they are who they are.
This exactly, why would anybody want to live somewhere where people are so oppressed is beyond me, why not go somewhere with proper freedoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 03:39 AM

12,592 posts, read 6,409,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I look at the futuristic architecture of Dubai, it really looks like an attractive place to live and work. But is it really safe for Westerners? I think if I lived there I would keep my hair covered with scarves, never drink alcohol or go out where alcohol is served, and never appear on a beach in a swimsuit, though I understand those things are allowed.

It just look like a good place to earn a good living, with excellent medical care and an international feel. Maybe a good place to work if you have a couple of doctorates and some common sense, along with sensitivity to another culture.
I've worked for years in the ME and currently working in Kuwait and often go to Dubai. I would say that Dubai is safe for Westerners although you have to be respectful of the dominant religion/culture in the region. I see many women wearing western style clothes including bikinis on the beaches in Dubai. Dubai is a party city but is expensive if you drink and party.

At its core, Dubai is a fake city set up to allow foreigners to live and do business in the ME. I had a British woman working for me that was a Legal Consultant to our office that lived in Dubai....She liked Dubai and has lived there for years but the draw was the money and an acceptable lifestyle.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,463,552 times
Safe or not, it's a place where I don't want to visit any time soon. It may be luxurious, but artificial. If I want to see modern and luxurious things, then I would instead to go to Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM

13,845 posts, read 16,557,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not really. At the surface maybe but that's all. It is mostly safe that is true, maybe even safer than most Western cities but when it comes to societal norms it is all but Western. I personally wouldn't want to live or travel to a place where hundreds of thousands of people are oppressed just because they are who they are.
Well, that's not much different than the U.S. where millions of poor people - disproportionately black and Hispanic - are said to be oppressed because of who they are.

Or at least that's what we're told.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM

326 posts, read 88,866 times
I don't think it would be a good choice for me; I think I might ultimately run afoul of the authorities and get myself killed or imprisoned. But those architectural marvels are amazing.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:56 AM

326 posts, read 88,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Safe or not, it's a place where I don't want to visit any time soon. It may be luxurious, but artificial. If I want to see modern and luxurious things, then I would instead to go to Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong.
Hong Kong has a gorgeous skyline and port but I understand the air quality is extremely poor.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:26 AM

13,845 posts, read 16,557,881 times
More so than the issue of safety, I don't feel there's that much to do around Dubai once you're done with the playground aspects of it. The developed area is small and I'm not a big fan of barren deserts.

The people in Dubai are overall nice though. As long as you're not flashing your chest in public or something as a woman, then you won't likely run into any problems. It's a fun vacation spot as long as you have the money. Dubai Mall by itself has every high end brand you can think of. But if you don't have money, then oh well.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,710,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, that's not much different than the U.S. where millions of poor people - disproportionately black and Hispanic - are said to be oppressed because of who they are.

Or at least that's what we're told.
I don't know about the oppression of blacks or hispanics but at least they don't get thrown into prison because they're gay, because they were raped or showed any other behavior the religious police deems "indecent". Not to mention the discrimination of women.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 PM

914 posts, read 282,990 times
It’s a safe city to be sure. There are a number of things worth seeing on a first trip, it I feel that the city’s initial appeal wears off quickly.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:51 PM

346 posts, read 105,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Hong Kong has a gorgeous skyline and port but I understand the air quality is extremely poor.
Sounds like it is best if you stay home! I actually know people who have been living in Dubai for years who are gay, and couples who have been living there for years who are not married. Both are technically illegal but discretion is the key.
As far as Hong Kong goes, yes the pollution can be bad at times. However the residents have one of the highest life expectancies in the world, considerably higher than the US, I believe. It is unlikely that a visit for a few days would do anyone any great harm.
But no good wasting money to go places out of your comfort zone. Our friends have just been to and enjoyed Iran. I would not go as having to wear what is appropriate dress for women there is out of my comfort zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World