U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 04:04 AM

14,617 posts, read 17,438,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I don't know about the oppression of blacks or hispanics but at least they don't get thrown into prison because they're gay, because they were raped or showed any other behavior the religious police deems "indecent". Not to mention the discrimination of women.
Yeah, I don't know too much about what it's like to live in Dubai. I have a buddy from India who's living there and he's actually the one who urged me to visit.

There are some issues he told me about that would be out of whack for western people. For example, it is pretty much impossible for any foreigner to become a UAE citizen no matter how long he or she lives there. A foreign woman cannot give birth to child there. If a foreign woman gets pregnant, then she has to go to another country to have her child. And if you want to start a business, then you have to pair up with a UAE citizen who automatically gets 50% of the profits from the business even though he doesn't have to do anything.

So, there is discrimination like that. But if you're just visiting, then you don't have to worry about those things. Dubai is a playground for the rich. They only care about your money. Other than that, they leave you alone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 04:18 AM

401 posts, read 139,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, I don't know too much about what it's like to live in Dubai. I have a buddy from India who's living there and he's actually the one who urged me to visit.

There are some issues he told me about that would be out of whack for western people. For example, it is pretty much impossible for any foreigner to become a UAE citizen no matter how long he or she lives there. A foreign woman cannot give birth to child there. If a foreign woman gets pregnant, then she has to go to another country to have her child. And if you want to start a business, then you have to pair up with a UAE citizen who automatically gets 50% of the profits from the business even though he doesn't have to do anything.

So, there is discrimination like that. But if you're just visiting, then you don't have to worry about those things. Dubai is a playground for the rich. They only care about your money. Other than that, they leave you alone.
I don’t think so.
Giving Birth in Dubai as an Expat Explained in 9 Easy Steps - Dubai Expats Guide
https://expatconnect.com/blog/posts/...expat-in-dubai

Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 AM

3,767 posts, read 3,593,135 times
Seems like a ****ty place. Even if I had the money there would be a million places on the planet I would rather visit.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:12 AM

9,397 posts, read 10,465,200 times
Not really my cup of tea to be honest... I wouldn't mind going once to say I have been and spend maybe a week but after that, I am sure I would have my fill and move on. I am in interested in visiting many other different places first.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 PM

6,795 posts, read 1,799,149 times
Nowhere is one-hundred percent safe but Dubai is clearly considered safe by numerous Westerners who reside there. If you are interested, go and visit a few times to ensure that the environment is for you and, if so, make the move.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:50 AM

11,232 posts, read 12,529,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I look at the futuristic architecture of Dubai, it really looks like an attractive place to live and work. But is it really safe for Westerners? I think if I lived there I would keep my hair covered with scarves, never drink alcohol or go out where alcohol is served, and never appear on a beach in a swimsuit, though I understand those things are allowed.

It just look like a good place to earn a good living, with excellent medical care and an international feel. Maybe a good place to work if you have a couple of doctorates and some common sense, along with sensitivity to another culture.
I know two people who live and work there. I find their lifestyle and Dubai itself very "artificial" or peculiar in my opinion and not at all what I would want for myself, but certainly not unsafe. The rules of public conduct are clearcut, the one Westerners are most likely to forget is that any public displays of affection between adults are taboo.

These people that I mention have accommodated to Dubai very well and have lived there for years.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:44 PM

9,995 posts, read 6,531,641 times
Not if you're a gay couple. You have to be really discreet and secretive about that or else you'll be arrested.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:59 AM

5,932 posts, read 10,047,658 times
After such popularity glamour lens continuing endlessly for years maybe decades, how can anyone not acknowledge the entire cosmopolitan enough existence of this Persian Gulf megalopolis? Of course absolutely everyone is very calm without worries over there. Remember, Middle East or Islamic majority sovereignties are a triple personality game. Foreigners tend to prefer Group One only types of ethical or moral secular progressive relatives. UAE is in this classification label resembling Qatar, Morocco, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Albania, Mauritania, even Turkey for this last example. Simultaneously maintaining their own ethnic background culture. Alcoholic beverage in a Nightclub Discotheque Bar is quite common over there for a lot of these independent nations. People freely dress themselves in lots of various contexts. To smoke openly is essentially part of the nightlife vibrancy in a vast majority of cases. Their own music is quite mind expanding psychedelic bizarre surreal. Ultimate exotic aliens without any overly dangerous troubles for those in the relevant profile. Avoid the polar opposite ones that is outside of entire earlier list that are too xenophobic, political rebellion crazy driven, or conservative (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Syria, Libya, Afghanistan). They don’t represent them. Tons of available alternatives. In immediate surroundings next door, Abu Dhabi especially, and Doha Qatar are offering high to underrate reputation in particular coordinates to Dubai’s own situation.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:45 PM

1,690 posts, read 525,032 times
It is actually one of the safest. The most frequent crime experienced by foreign travelers is petty theft. Middle-easern countries in general, and UAE in particular consider any form of theft to be the most serious of crimes, and the penalties are severe. There is an unusually low risk of crime against travelers in the UAE, and among Emiratis, theft is a crime of very low occurrence.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 619 times
I travelled to UAE 1 week ago. I've visited the most famous places of Dubai, including Burj khalifa and Dubai Aquarium with the help of MUST2GO service. I want to live here)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or