U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 431 times

Advertisements

its a safe place for everybody.Not only westerns. laws rule and it goes on everybody even locals.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM

15,378 posts, read 28,830,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I don't think it would be a good choice for me; I think I might ultimately run afoul of the authorities and get myself killed or imprisoned. But those architectural marvels are amazing.
It's a foreign country and a Muslim foreign country at that. They might be friendly toward ex-pats, europeans and Americans today, but tomorrow could be a completely different story. I personally wouldn't go anywhere that could turn south politically and put me in danger. I think I would much rather go to Amsterdam and marvel at the the windmills and tulips. Or maybe Germany or Ireland where I can drink without worrying if someone is going to "disapprove" of me and think I'm a loose woman because I'm having a few pints. I don't need anybody's judgment.

Australia is another place I would love to see one day.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:52 AM

15,484 posts, read 34,156,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I look at the futuristic architecture of Dubai, it really looks like an attractive place to live and work. But is it really safe for Westerners? I think if I lived there I would keep my hair covered with scarves, never drink alcohol or go out where alcohol is served, and never appear on a beach in a swimsuit, though I understand those things are allowed.

It just look like a good place to earn a good living, with excellent medical care and an international feel. Maybe a good place to work if you have a couple of doctorates and some common sense, along with sensitivity to another culture.
I really like DUBAI a lot. I've been there twice now.

I guess its like reading stories that take place in Los Angeles. Sure, people get killed in drive-by shootings, or whatever else...but when you are there, you have your own experience.

Headscarves: In general, some people wear scarves in UAE, but plenty of women do not. I have been at the Dubai Airport and watched a plane load of Iranians who landed, and they were quick to remove the headscarves, and gave this "AHH FREEDOM of CHOICE" feel. Not only that, but I think something like 70% of the population in UAE are not Emirates, and a ton of them are non-muslim domestic helpers, like from the Philippines or Ethiopia and such. You'll see Filipina women absolutely everywhere, and seldom would you ever see one with a headscarf, and if you do, she's probably actually Indonesian, etc.

Alcohol: There is a large expat population in UAE, and their social lives are often centered around alcohol. Go to most malls in Dubai, and you'll see entire sections set aside of drinking alcohol with your meals and such. It's just not a big thing. You'll also see tons of Islamic men, in full attire, drinking as well. It's more of an Islamic Man and Expat world. ALmost all of the hotels also have nightclubs and restaurants as well, and they are packed with people. I think if you were an expat in UAE, they'd be hard to avoid.

Swimsuits: They separate the beaches into family-oriented, some women's only, etc. The expats often hit the same types of beaches, and swimsuits are common among them.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 435,114 times
@ Tiger Beer: That's a good report; thank you for posting it. I'm also thinking the medical care is at the highest technical level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or