U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 12:18 PM

1,215 posts, read 378,267 times

Advertisements

When I look at the futuristic architecture of Dubai, it really looks like an attractive place to live and work. But is it really safe for Westerners? I think if I lived there I would keep my hair covered with scarves, never drink alcohol or go out where alcohol is served, and never appear on a beach in a swimsuit, though I understand those things are allowed.

It just look like a good place to earn a good living, with excellent medical care and an international feel. Maybe a good place to work if you have a couple of doctorates and some common sense, along with sensitivity to another culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,340,436 times
If it is not safe, why the hell there are 200 000 British expats that live there, and thousands of Europeans, North Americans and Australians as well as New Zealanders, and also it is one of the most popular destinations for South Africans to work in?

You do not need to wear a scarf to live there either, and you are only allowed to drink alcohol in hotels only.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:39 PM

8,611 posts, read 8,771,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When I look at the futuristic architecture of Dubai, it really looks like an attractive place to live and work. But is it really safe for Westerners? I think if I lived there I would keep my hair covered with scarves, never drink alcohol or go out where alcohol is served, and never appear on a beach in a swimsuit, though I understand those things are allowed.
Nearly everyone in Dubai has been to Europe or the USA at least once. Your concern is unjustified. Just don't be offensive and be extra careful during Ramadan,

Old 12-21-2017, 04:56 PM

This could happen anywhere, but remember that woman who was murdered in a women's bathroom by a conservative Arab woman? Wasn't that in Dubai?

Wonder what teaching there is like? I'm sure most people speak English but learning Arabic might be a good idea, it seems to me.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Nearly everyone in Dubai has been to Europe or the USA at least once. Your concern is unjustified. Just don't be offensive and be extra careful during Ramadan,
Just "don't be offensive" covers a lot of ground. I'm a woman, an atheist, a liberal. Lots of things to hide.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM

11,485 posts, read 6,609,637 times
Quote:
This could happen anywhere, but remember that woman who was murdered in a women's bathroom by a conservative Arab woman? Wasn't that in Dubai?

Wonder what teaching there is like? I'm sure most people speak English but learning Arabic might be a good idea, it seems to me.
People are murdered in American, European, and Asian cities too.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:11 PM

14,812 posts, read 17,544,493 times
Quote:
When I look at the futuristic architecture of Dubai, it really looks like an attractive place to live and work. But is it really safe for Westerners?
It is practically a western city, except demographically.

They even have Christmas trees and Santa Claus in their mall.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:12 PM

377 posts, read 146,798 times
Quote:
Just "don't be offensive" covers a lot of ground. I'm a woman, an atheist, a liberal. Lots of things to hide.
Then don't go. No one in Dubai/UAE is begging for you to come. Not that I know of anyway.

But all your statements are unfounded. No one is going to assault or kill you for being a Western woman who drinks alcohol - they will look down on you however. Arab men tend to view European women as promiscuous and without morals, but this is something else altogether.

UAE/Dubai do have laws that throw some Westerners for a loop. PDAs can get you fined or jailed. And there have been Western women who were jailed when they reported rape (if they were telling the truth is another story).

As to the city itself - you're not missing much. Once you get passed the shiny new buildings, it's pretty unremarkable and boring imo.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 PM

597 posts, read 268,977 times
Quote:

You can teach in an international school, as does my sister. They have lived in Dubai for about ten years and have no plans to leave any time soon. They do not speak any Arabic and basically expats do not mix with the locals, who are actually a small proportion of the population.
you have to be prepared to not drink and drive at all. No need to wear scarves, you drink in the international hotels where it is allowed and the big social events of the week are in them on a Friday. It is very much an indoor life because of the heat but they feel safer there than most other places.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,789,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is practically a western city, except demographically.

Not really. At the surface maybe but that's all. It is mostly safe that is true, maybe even safer than most Western cities but when it comes to societal norms it is all but Western. I personally wouldn't want to live or travel to a place where hundreds of thousands of people are oppressed just because they are who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or