Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times

Advertisements

I dont see a lot of people sneaking across the borders to get out :-)

why do people in other countries keep sending their children to the USA to get a college education ? and than their kids all stay here to live ?

why is that ?

'cause we suck ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,175 times
Here's my opinion as someone from a foreign country who has spent about 2 months in total travelling around the U.S (I have family and friends living there). I didn't realise what a diverse country the US was going to be...that was my biggest surprise. There is no way to pigeon-hole the entire country. I'll try for some generalisations however:

*A majority of people were very friendly and curious, esp. when they heard my accent. People were very polite, well-mannered and generous. They hold doors open and apologise when they bump into you (except perhaps in NY!).

*Despite constantly hearing about US politics in the news overseas, many people seemed to be politically apathetic, they either didn't know or didn't care about their own politics. On the other hand, I've never seen so much grass-roots political activity (probably among a minority of the population though)...it was a real eye-opener.

*The people I met were either very educated, well-read and well-travelled, or just the exact opposite. This has nothing to do with intelligence, probably more life experiences. Sheltered is probably the best term for it. I met Americans who were asking ME about Washington D.C and New York and asked me with a straight face if there was a bridge from Australia to NZ. In addition, those Americans who could fall into the category of 'ignorant' seemed not just ignorant about the rest of the world, but also the rest of their own country.

*I wasn't prepared for how racially segregated some cities were. And I couldn't get over the fact that you could be in a 'safe' area but only a few blocks away was a no-go zone, a completely new concept to me (maybe I'm the sheltered one!)

*While there is no such thing as a perfect political system or democracy, the U.S. certainly has an extremely transparent system with many checks and balances that other democracies lack. While people may form opinions on the country based on the current administration (myself included), they don't reflect the fairness and equality that the US, in principle, stands for.

Overall a wonderful country to visit and very friendly people. It's not my no. 1 choice in countries to live in but I always look foward to going back and visiting.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I have heard in many places (including this site), California being referred to as the "most American state", the "all-American state", or "the REAL America", etc. It's mainly because it's the most popular state for foreign visitors and immigrants, and most of the American youth contemporary culture derives from there.
I think it has more to do with the fact that much of our media originates from there.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,286 times
Well I'm from Guatemala an the US has a lot of influence in here some good others not so good. But in general I try to avoid going to the US when you go through an US airport they treat us like prisoners (I really hate that) and you can't deny that your knowledge on world geography is the best. I reacently talked to someone in the US and told him I was from Guatemala central america, and his answer was "i didn't know there was a town called guatemala here in the US". But in general I really really hate your goverment, but most of the people in the US is kind and good people and like any society ithas its pros and cons

Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
With all of the problems the U.S. has today it's not hard to see why the people in foreign countries think we're all a bunch of numskulls.

I'd probably rather live here than anything else. Unfortunately, our country is going downhill, and I feel it's going to continue going that way.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy58 View Post
Well I'm from Guatemala an the US has a lot of influence in here some good others not so good. But in general I try to avoid going to the US when you go through an US airport they treat us like prisoners (I really hate that) and you can't deny that your knowledge on world geography is the best. I reacently talked to someone in the US and told him I was from Guatemala central america, and his answer was "i didn't know there was a town called guatemala here in the US". But in general I really really hate your goverment, but most of the people in the US is kind and good people and like any society ithas its pros and cons
I think the reason for this is because many Guatemalans coming to the U.S. are illegal immigrants and are starting gangs in our country. It's happening in my city right now. It has a large Guatemalan population and many of them join gangs and are completely un-Americanized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
I dont see a lot of people sneaking across the borders to get out :-)

why do people in other countries keep sending their children to the USA to get a college education ? and than their kids all stay here to live ?

why is that ?

'cause we suck ?
This is another thing I've heard from these people. They tell me they don't like America or its values, and that they are only here for its benefits.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneysider View Post
Yeah, and a right-wing slant is so much more unbiased. We all know that because George Bush told us. And he is real smart, you hear!
Why do you not complain about the many news stations (and newspapers) with a left-wing slant, yet single out the lone news station which doesn't have a left-wing slant? Do you think that ALL news stations should have a left-wing slant?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,985 times
I find it disturbing that so many Europeans actually take the news so seriously. Most Americans realize that the news is simply an aspect of the entertainment industry that thrives on shock and lives off advertising. I've always thought it was a bit amusing that so many self proclaimed enlightened people have failed to notice. Oddly enough there seem to be more Americans telling me that Europeans have a low opinion of the US than Europeans. Go figure.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I find it disturbing that so many Europeans actually take the news so seriously. Most Americans realize that the news is simply an aspect of the entertainment industry that thrives on shock and lives off advertising. I've always thought it was a bit amusing that so many self proclaimed enlightened people have failed to notice. Oddly enough there seem to be more Americans telling me that Europeans have a low opinion of the US than Europeans. Go figure.
Uhm, we don't have the same news industry. The news I watch/read/listen to are very intelligent and are not focused on "selling" something- they are just telling the news.
Sweden and the US do not have the same type of news.
What news are you taling about, by the way? Entertainment news (à la Britney Spears etc) or "real news"?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:46 AM

66 posts, read 268,809 times
America has given me many opportunities for education, a job, a car, meeting people from all over the world, travelling, and many more things. I tried to go back to live in my country, because I had a false image that "Europeans" lived a more comfortable laidback lifestyle than we do, but once I realized that's not true, I came back running. I was working my ass off 65 hours a week only to get 700euros. America is my home now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World