U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 390,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
This was the first place that crossed my mind. Most mainland beaches have too much river runoff to have that level of clarity.
The rockiness of the coastline also assists with clarity, since there is less sediment to be stirred up.

How warm are waters in the Med? Typically, warmer waters produce clarity, as there's less of the dissolved oxygen that supports plankton and other biotic life that clouds the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 04:54 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Shanghai? I've been reading up on that city, and apparently, for one of their beaches, they've installed technology that is able to clear sediment out of the water:
[Outbound]: Shanghai Has A Beach! A Journey To Jinshan | SmartShanghai

Old 12-30-2017, 05:37 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,790,472 times
North Queensland has some good clear beaches, I am sure the existence of the great barrier reef helps, it blocks off the waves.

http://www.destinationdaintree.com/f...104087-634.jpg

https://www.portdouglasdirectory.com...92_585x392.jpg

https://api.services.trvl.com/backgr...-douglas_1.jpg

This is cable beach in Western Australia.

https://s1.at.atcdn.net/wp-content/u...h-FIL20725.jpg

Old 12-30-2017, 10:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 568,150 times
Though Florida's white sand against its blue waters impresses me .... and not claiming tropical waters are not superior.

But Great Lakes waters are clear even on the shores of a American major city like Chicago along Lake Michigan.
It impresses visitors to see blue waters that are clear on the beach at the foot of all its Gold Coast here and its downtown.
These I took a couple years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
The clearest beaches in the world that arenít on an island?-waters-off-oak-street-beach-downtown   The clearest beaches in the world that arenít on an island?-oak-st-beach-downtown-chicago-.jpg  

Old 12-31-2017, 09:45 AM

2,531 posts, read 966,451 times
Good call on Lake Michigan. It surprised me the first time I saw it.

South Florida can have great visibility at times. Other times the runoff is extreme.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:53 PM

Lake Michigan is clear just after ice melt, before the algae sets in. Also, zebra mussel infestations in that lake, which filter out debis from the water.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:17 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,783,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Desert Rat View Post
So tomorrow i leave to my Cancun vacation trip and it got me curious as to wonder where else in the world has crystal blue, electric-like beach water such as Mexicoís Mayan Rivera.

I did some research and most of the results were islands. Made me realize that Cancun is fairly unique that itís attached to a mainland.

Hopefully some of you experienced travelers can give me some insight

Thank you
From an American perspective Mexico is definitely a far more affordable alternative to the rest of the world but there are definitely beautiful white sand and crystal/turquoise beaches around the world.

Here are some which stand out for me.

TEN OF THE BEST BEACHES IN GREECE

To select the best beaches of a country like Greece that has the eleventh longest coastline in the world and a mere 380 winners of the international Blue Flag for eco-quality is no easy task. Weíve picked ten of the best beaches throughout Greece, but you should know that there are countless other superb, exotic, gorgeous beaches Ė whether on the mainland or on a beautiful Greek island Ė that will blow your mind at just about any seaside destination you choose for your holidays in Greece. Discover 10 of the best beaches in Greece right here.

Top 10 Best beaches in Greece |Discover Greece

PELOPONNESE A JOURNEY TO THE MYTHICAL SOUTH

Holidays in the Peloponnese | Discover Greece

Old 12-31-2017, 03:07 PM

65,606 posts, read 55,858,698 times
The Adriatic/Croatian coast.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:40 AM

38,328 posts, read 13,358,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Adriatic/Croatian coast.
Agree. I haven't seen many parts of the world, but have been to the Adriatic/Croatian coast more than once and the water is crystal clear. So beautiful!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 568,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Lake Michigan is clear just after ice melt, before the algae sets in. Also, zebra mussel infestations in that lake, which filter out debis from the water.
Had to post again as to defend Lake Michigan. It's been spared the bad algae issues that Lake Erie has had. Lake Michigan IS NOT having this problem to any degree like that is Lake Erie..... sadly continues to have. You can read articles about algae in Michigan lakes ..... it is the state and not meaning Lake Michigan also.

Environmentalist Warns Toxic Algae Bloom Could Happen in Lake Michigan ę CBS Chicago

From link:
- Rob Moore, policy analyst at the National Resources Defense Council says toxin producing algae bloomed in Toledo, not Chicago, because Lake Michigan is deeper and colder that Lake Erie and most of our pollution gets sent down the Chicago River to the Mississippi, while much of Toledoís pollution stays where it is ** (Chicago's river was reversed in the early 20th century to protect Lake Michigan from industrial waste and sewage issues and locks open for boats entering the lake curtailing flow out too).
- further reduction of sewage and tighter controls over phosphorous runoff from farm fields are needed to prevent blooms of toxic algae from affecting Lake Michigan cities as they have Toledo.

Harmful algal blooms not likely on Lake Michigan | WOODTV.com

From link:
- Lake Michigan isnít likely to see harmful algal blooms like the one that happened on Lake Erie, but West Michiganís inland lakes are at a higher risk
- algae need three things to bloom: sunlight, warmth, and nutrients. He said Lake Michigan is currently low on nutrients, keeping the risk of dangerous blooms down. The lake also is much slower to warm up each summer than Erie.
- Lake Michigan is a much larger lake, a lot more volume of water. Itís not going to warm up nearly as much as Lake Erie .(the only one of the Great lakes entirely in the US).

The invasive mussels are a problem decreasing native fish populations by corruption of the food chain. Asian Carp are the next fear to the Great Lakes if they infiltrate it.

But Chicago beaches still remain improved from past decades when storm run-off in heavy downpours was a issue at times in higher bacteria counts. That has diminished with the city's Deep Tunnel Project.

Three Chicago North shore beaches to nice soothing music and clear waters ....

Hollywood beach (has scene of boulders under the water seen clearly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXAFPQoLAs

Montrose beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VU0wabQHIs

North Ave beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World