U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 AM

9,410 posts, read 10,480,512 times

Advertisements

I am from Canada and the most exotic place I have been to for me is China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 06:15 PM

597 posts, read 263,613 times
And for me perhaps Sabah in Malaysian Borneo.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 PM

10,002 posts, read 6,544,033 times
Although a horrible country, Sana'a in Yemen has to be the most exotic and surreal looking location in the world.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:12 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,267,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Although a horrible country, Sana'a in Yemen has to be the most exotic and surreal looking location in the world.
Yemen's people are some of the kindest people in the world, and I don't say this lightly. Other Arab nations are not comparable, even the poor bombed ones.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:39 AM

1,729 posts, read 538,740 times
I might say Kyrgyzstan. First I saw the city, Bishkek, riding out of town. It still looks like the old Soviet Union, and in some instances, pre-Soviet. Then as the countryside opened up, and I saw yurts and herdsmen moving horses, and this was Central Asia, a million miles from the sea, and the trees look different and the grasslands look different and the snowcapped mountains separated me from China and I saw dilapidated trucks with China number plates a half a continent away from Beijing, and it was Ghengis Khan's Silk Road and didnt seem to have changed a bit except it was asphalt and I was in a Toyota. And I fell in love with the first Kyrgyz girl I met, and then the second one and then the third one, who had names like Aigerim and Tolkunai and Gulzat.. Yes, Kyrgyzstan.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM

2,553 posts, read 3,495,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I wouldn't call Yemen a "horrible" country but it has some tremendous challenges that have made it into the huge mess it is today. It is a really strange place. It's really eerie to be in the middle of Sana'a and hear the call to prayer. It starts slowly but builds to an almost deafening crescendo coming from every direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I might say Kyrgyzstan. First I saw the city, Bishkek, riding out of town. It still looks like the old Soviet Union, and in some instances, pre-Soviet. Then as the countryside opened up, and I saw yurts and herdsmen moving horses, and this was Central Asia, a million miles from the sea, and the trees look different and the grasslands look different and the snowcapped mountains separated me from China and I saw dilapidated trucks with China number plates a half a continent away from Beijing, and it was Ghengis Khan's Silk Road and didnt seem to have changed a bit except it was asphalt and I was in a Toyota. And I fell in love with the first Kyrgyz girl I met, and then the second one and then the third one, who had names like Aigerim and Tolkunai and Gulzat.. Yes, Kyrgyzstan.
Kyrgyzstan is really cool(I may have replied to an earlier post you made about it). Bishkek is my favorite Central Asian city. It's not as flashy as Almaty but it has more character. Lake Issyk Kul is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and the ride between there and Bishkek is impressive. I hope to take a trip down towards Osh soon.

That entire Central Asian region is pretty fascinating. Tajikistan has some jaw dropping mountain scenery and Uzbekistan has Bukhara and Samarkand.

I'll add Ulaanbataar, Mongolia as one of the strangest places I've been. The Mongols have one foot in the past and one foot in modern times. Yurts/gers surrounding sky scrapers under construction. Windswept Buddhist temples and rolling bald hills. The city literally feels like it is in the middle of nowhere and it arguably is.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 PM

3,235 posts, read 2,336,004 times
I’ve been to all 7 continents, so I don’t know that I’m most qualified to speak on this, but with some experience from an American perspective, that I’ve personally been to, on each continent. Exotic being different, out of ordinary from most things there.

North America: Lake Atitlan, Guatemala (though in part just to the humbling nature of witnessing the depravity/desperation of many people there.)
South America: Rio de Janeiro (for good and bad reasons. Other places may not have been as stunning visually, but also felt more stable.)
Africa: I’ve only been to Tunis. It didn’t feel as different as I thought it would, but it definitely felt different.
Antarctica: Has to be a leader in general
Oceania: Nadi, Fiji town. As far as ANZ go, probably Dunedin was most distinctive.
Asia: Ruins of Ephesus, Turkey (best ruin site I’ve been to. Only been to Asia Minor though)
Europe: Santorini, Greece (just a surreal level of beauty and distinctiveness there)

Old 01-03-2018, 09:28 PM

597 posts, read 263,613 times
Nadi surprises me. What did you think was exotic about it?

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 PM

1,729 posts, read 538,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
The poster was listing one entry per continent, and that was for Oceania. Me, Ive seen Guam and Darwin. My nomination for the continent would have to be one of those two. Darwin. Actually, Adelaide River, a few hours into the outback.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 AM

3,235 posts, read 2,336,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Exotic relative to me, and usual things in my life I suppose lol. We took a two week cruise that went from Auckland to Sydney, and we had a wonderful trip everywhere. Auckland, Melbourne, and Sydney all rank in my Top 10 favorite cities in the world and I really loved Dunedin as well, the beaches near Sydney and the southern fjords of NZ. That being said, I don't think any of those places were as different feeling as Nadi was. They were all in the developed world, and while they may have been more around natural beauty than I was used to, and more impressive cities than I was used to, the living of people and such didn't seem to be that far different. We were only in Fiji for one day, and we didn't do the standard resort on the beach type thing upon flying in. We got on a city bus (I think we were the only tourists on it, and it was a sort of run down school bus type thing), and passing scenery was quite impressive. Huge tropical plants, mountains, water in the distance etc. Anyways, we talked to a local on board (not sure if that was wise), and he even wanted to take us all over the island, into the rainforest, mountains etc. (I got the sense he was paid to talk to tourists. When we got into town (some of the streets were dirt, it was dense living, little mom and pop shops and a chain nowhere to be found, people poor but all friendly none bothering us), he took us through the central market which was almost like a shanty with covering about 100 meters or so long and wide, not massive, but impressive the sheer amount of vendors, the busyness, and exotic fruit and vegetables we had rarely if ever seen. He invited us into a souvenir shop for a traditional Kava (sp?) ceremony, which we weren't sure about drinking, but we did a bit because apparently it's a great honor, and they did a little dance for us, following which we bought some wood carved souvenirs, and caught the bus back to the hotel. Perhaps not the most exciting thing ever, but different from most anything I had ever done. Felt removed from the modern world almost, and people did have very carefree attitudes about things. That's probably (tl/dr), but for anyone going to Fiji, that might even be most exotic beyond Lake Atitlan for that type of thing for me, because it also was a welcoming experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or