U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:19 AM

654 posts, read 143,683 times

Advertisements

Ethiopia has only about 20% cell phone penetration, he only country on this list that has significantly less than almost one per person (besides Cuba and NKorea).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._phones_in_use

Not every country is listed. Canada, Australia and Mexico are very low on the list, and the USA has barely one cell phone number per capita.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-14-2018 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 PM
pdw

1,461 posts, read 1,739,342 times
With the rise of right wing populism, there seems to be more idiotic divisive kind of thinking across the globe. Look at what's been happening in Europe and the United States. Immigrants are used as scapegoats for the problems of globalization when the real villains are the borderless corporate billionaires.

The same goes with defense. Things like the UN are at least semi-effective for stopping conflict, but NATO, NORAD, Five Eyes and the like are just bad for peace and sovereignty. "Let's give up our national rights for a little extra protection which isn't even needed."

Globalization is good when it's designed to benefit the common people. I'm not scared of immigrants, I'm scared of big corporations from superpower countries crushing local businesses like we've been seeing here in Canada since the 80s. Almost every successful Canadian business has been bought out or shut down by foreign buyers and competitors. Countries should welcome newcomers with open arms but make it clear that we're not for sale. That's the kind of globalization we need.

To answer your question, my bets would be on somewhere like Switzerland where the governments are directly controlled by the local people.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 AM

712 posts, read 441,757 times
ICLEI = International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives is part of the UNís Agenda 21 program. And I suspect why you are realizing similarities in governance, protests, big business outrageous successes, failures of small businesses, more taxation, lack of privacy, restrictions on your activities & purchases and more. I doubt you will be able to escape this control since every corner in the world is being targeted. The way their agendas are being implemented is very sneaky so most people donít notice itís happening nor how it affects them. Kudos to you for thinking for yourself.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:22 AM

659 posts, read 266,685 times
ICLEI
Interesting you mentioned this. While its true they are pushing their agendas this in many parts of the world. Which is scary.
Though its also the matter of whether individual governments whether national, regional, or local are willing to give in to such control. It seems Agenda 21 is pushed hard through Sierra Club and Surfriders foundations local chapters and their local spinoffs. Progressive politicians blindly believe each word they say.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM

377 posts, read 115,773 times
A lot of islands around the world are devoid of what we Westerners would call a rat race.

I'm currently vacationing in the Galapagos, and am quite amused by the locals who seem to do everything 50% slower than I'm accustomed to. They sit around talking, laughing and drinking while they wait for some tourists to come and patronize their businesses. But there seems to be no stiff competition for business either. For them it either comes or goes, but they won't fight for it.

Galapagos is not the only island (island archipelago in this case) like this in the world. A lot of the South Pacific islands, some of the Caribbean ones as well.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 AM

327 posts, read 102,723 times
it looks in my mind like to me that we are all world wide rat race.
white race vs black race vs. brown race vs. yellow race vs. red race = rat race

Yep, that's what governments create...fetch yer number: SSS# = 666# workbuysellworknorestlittlesleep.
cradle to grave one way no returns.

otherwise known as some Beast System with some corporate governmental entity that cannot be held responsible for anything it decides to do, and does, other than a monetary fine with money they print as needed.

Whoopee! Then move to high heaven now that that God entity vs government entity is obsolete and [Men as gods] have the peoples all tied up with laws taxes and restrictions and of course whatever is very best for them is good for you as the reporting goes.

I think I will book a flight home and get some rest.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
ICLEI = International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives is part of the UNís Agenda 21 program. And I suspect why you are realizing similarities in governance, protests, big business outrageous successes, failures of small businesses, more taxation, lack of privacy, restrictions on your activities & purchases and more. I doubt you will be able to escape this control since every corner in the world is being targeted. The way their agendas are being implemented is very sneaky so most people donít notice itís happening nor how it affects them. Kudos to you for thinking for yourself.
Its very interesting how Agenda 21 became so powerful over the years. Despite how it started as a voluntarily program back in 1990.

International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives - So thats why local governments are even a step ahead of national governments. And progressive ones seems pressured to pass all those ridiculous radical ordinances even if they themselves don't necessary agree with them.

While their environmental saving agenda started with more user friendly agreements for manufactures to phrase in more eco friendly products such as phrasing out CFCs, lowering emissions in vehicles as well as industral process, increasing energy efficiency. Promoting recycling. However since the late 2000s their focus has turned to using the long arm of governments to control of the masses. Which is ridiculous as they already made high efficiency CFC free a/cs, low flow toilets, and vehicles much more environmental friendly and emission free than ever before yet now they want to penalize the end user for keeping cool and not sweltering in the summer heat, flushing their toilets, or idling their engines which when compared to their 1970s-1980s counterparts are practically emissions free. It would had made much more sense to ban idling in the 1970s and 80s back when vehicles were bleching soot and smoke whenever they are turned on. And despite improvements in wood stove emissions they still want to ban people to stop burning wood too. Yes they made their way into places like Hong Kong which once never allowed such interference into the free market. The Cool biz campaign in Japan forced office workers to swelter in 28c heat and high humidity between july and september lowering work productivity when their economy where already been struggling since the 1990s collapse and 2011 earthquakes. Really Japan already have among the best A/C efficiency technology in the world, all they need to do is to seal the leaks and insulate their buildings to achieve better results.

Sierra Club and and Surfriders foundations are strong lobbies to push these radical legislation across the world. And surprisingly you don't have to be near the ocean to fall into their grip as Surfriders foundation even has strong influence in areas that are thousands of miles away from the nearest large body of water.

SF Bay Area seems to be ground zero for these ordinances. Those ordinances that not only bans plastic grocery bags yet not other bags but demands stores penalize shoppers for using a non banned type of bag are among the most ridiculous. Belligent abuse of power. When is the last time a government told stores to charge for something that they used to comp? And its not even a tax either. Yet it goes unchecked as strong forces push these at alarming rates. These radical movements actually cause more harm than good with so much evidence yet the power of such radicalism continues to trample the truth.

Though the good news is some countries and juristicians are smart enough to fight back against the Agenda 21 and ICLEI creep. I heard Alabama is one of them. And Norway despite their long standing pro environment policies are learning that some radical measures are actually bad for the environment as well as the health of their country. They actually banned EU's efforts to farther restrict plastic bags in their country.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:11 PM

In the early 1970ís stores were not allowed to use paper bags due to all the rain forests being destroyed, especially in South America. Now, apparently it doesnít matter. And most recently even thicker plastic bags are acceptable for use. Iím all for not polluting the environment, but it seems conservation groups like the Surfrider Foundation, the Sierra Club & Greenpeace become so extreme in their efforts to stop pollution, they become more of a problem than the solution.

Agenda 21 is now known as Agenda 2030. Their ultimate goal is to decrease human population, have the population that will exist live along transportation corridors, increase automotive costs in order to make individual ownership prohibitive, get control of children from their parents. People will live free less & less.

I completely understand your desire to escape to a place away from this overbearing, progressive dominance so prevalent in all our lives today. Getting back to nature & self reliance seems to be a deep down desire of more & more people.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
In the early 1970ís stores were not allowed to use paper bags due to all the rain forests being destroyed, especially in South America. Now, apparently it doesnít matter. And most recently even thicker plastic bags are acceptable for use. Iím all for not polluting the environment, but it seems conservation groups like the Surfrider Foundation, the Sierra Club & Greenpeace become so extreme in their efforts to stop pollution, they become more of a problem than the solution.

Agenda 21 is now known as Agenda 2030. Their ultimate goal is to decrease human population, have the population that will exist live along transportation corridors, increase automotive costs in order to make individual ownership prohibitive, get control of children from their parents. People will live free less & less.

I completely understand your desire to escape to a place away from this overbearing, progressive dominance so prevalent in all our lives today. Getting back to nature & self reliance seems to be a deep down desire of more & more people.
I heard that Alabama ruled to reject Agenda 21.
Though interestingly this state was just going to vote on a legislation against smoking in private cars. Hard to believe a state like that would do this. While I don't like to smell smoke I believe sometimes the government is going to far when they couldn't govern themselves right.

Though I really like the places where the politicians who just say no to radical measures such as grocery bag rationing via mandatory fees. As its actually making things much worse than better. As many people reused bags for many household purposes, they are actually the most reused item, the most important reuse is tying up household garbage which includes a lot of other plastic products which these bans don't address. Interestingly plastic garbage increased in places that passed these ordinances so is street litter. Litter audits done by San Francisco and Toronto as well as google street view which took multiple photos a year clearly shows this.

Another issue is that homeless people who once used plastic grocery bags to contain human waste are running out of it. This has caused spread of disease. Also reusable bags often contain discomposing food inside also creating a health risk.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM

I wonder how many people know or care that in California anything added to the storm drains is carried, unfiltered to the ocean via the nearest river. Since the rivers in southern California are rarely more than a trickle, it isnít unti a big storm comes and fills up these rivers that all that trash and pollution end up at the various rivermouths. It is unbelievable the amount of garbage and the type of garbage that ends up in the Pacific Ocean. Access to these storm drains is in every neighborhood. Personal behavior is the source of the problem. Education, limiting access, adding filtration systems & applying hefty fines to those who dump into these storm drains would curb this problem greatly. I see no government efforts taking place regarding this very real & disasterous problem. Perhaps thatís why the Surfrider Foundation involves itself far from the ocean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World