U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:10 PM

4,787 posts, read 5,019,424 times

Advertisements

Oslo:

Buses: The best option, in my opinion

Metro: The trains are nice, but the lines should have been extended years ago.

Local trains: Hate it. Delays 99% of the time.

Tram: Please get rid of it. It is just expensive nostalgia.

Ferries: I think it is a good option for some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

6,719 posts, read 2,692,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Oslo:

Buses: The best option, in my opinion

Metro: The trains are nice, but the lines should have been extended years ago.

Local trains: Hate it. Delays 99% of the time.

Tram: Please get rid of it. It is just expensive nostalgia.

Ferries: I think it is a good option for some
It's pretty rare when someone says buses are the best option, since they are prone to delays/traffic the most. Do most of them have dedicated lanes?

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 5,019,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
It's pretty rare when someone says buses are the best option, since they are prone to delays/traffic the most. Do most of them have dedicated lanes?
Yes, outside the city center. Buses are definitely the best choice where I live.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,040,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
When a city barely has 700k people living in it it's pretty rare to have other options.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,360,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's true that there are often delays on the DC metro. That's the major problem that needs fixing. And the trains get overcrowded during peak time and special events. It has the second highest ridership in the U.S. after New York City.

But the system has gotten new trains in the last couple of years and those are nice and equipped with new technology. A lot of people like the Brutalist architecture of the metro stations. It actually won an award a few years ago. And I haven't seen too many problems with the escalators. For the most part, they work fine.
I've never met anyone who isn't an architectural or urban planning nerd who actually likes Brutalism. I can apreciate it in rare instances but it's too imposing and sterile for massive use in public spaces. Plus it looks very dated.

I lived in DC 2012-14 and the system was struggling. It seemed like at least half of the escalators were broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I live in Atlanta and I agree. It's one of the few American cities that does not have commuter rail to the suburban areas. But many American cities do not have heavy rail like the MARTA. Fortunately I live close to a MARTA station so it's actually convenient. I'm surprised you rated Atlanta higher than DC.
I guess I just expected more from the transit system of our nation's capital. MARTA is basic but the overall experience is slightly better in my opinion. The two systems are very similar.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

4,207 posts, read 2,528,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Of the major cities I've lived in:

Atlanta C
Unfortunately MARTA rail is very limited and the bus system can be confusing. It's really a shame that a city built by railroads doesn't have a commuter rail system as well.

New York City B-
The MTA has the potential to be amazing but it has been sliding for the past few years. On a recent visit to Manhattan I waited way too long for trains and I was reminded how miserable commuting in the the summer can be as some of the stations in lower Manhattan becoming stinking saunas. On a positive note coverage is comprehensive and runs around the clock.

Washington D.C. C-
It's pretty shameful that our national capital has to settle for the poor excuse of a transit system that is WMATA. I really am a little embarrassed for international visitors. When in lived there I experienced frequent service disruptions and incredibly rude employees all for the outrageous price of admission. Add to that the gloomiest metro stations I've yet been in. The escalator situation was a complete joke as well.

Moscow, Russia A
Moscow's Metro is by far the best I have used. Even the escalators seem to move faster than the DC metro's trains and they all seem to work. I very rarely had to wait more than 2 minutes for a train and I've never seen anyone rush to catch a train. The layout of the system is brilliant and offers pretty thorough coverage of a huge sprawling city. There is a huge new outer ring built on old train lines that makes it even more comprehensive. Buses seemed to have fallen off a bit during my time there but were still more reliable than most other places. I used taxis regularly for a couple months and had mostly positive experiences.
When I visited Atlanta some time ago, they had just two heavy-rail lines, one going east-west and the other going north-south. It seemed OK for what it was, but the system wasn't very extensive. I don't know if they've added to since then it or not.

New York's system is extensive, that's for sure. But it's also hands-down the most hideously ugly system I've ever seen. Granted, back in the 1980s it was far worse; at least they got a handle on their graffiti epidemic. But still, the architecture of the stations is just downright awful. I don't buy the excuse that it's because the system is old. After all, London's is older, and Paris' was being built at about the same time; but neither of those are anywhere near as ugly.

Washington's system was built to be the gold standard of rail transit, but it's been allowed to deteriorate through "deferred" maintenance and surly employees and increasing criminal activity. And "gloomy" is a good way to describe those dim stations. What, did they exceed their light bulb budget for the decade or something? I have to admit, I think the Brutalist architecture fits in well with a city whose core is often described as "monumental." Not that I especially like Brutalism, because I don't; just that I think it fits in pretty well in this setting.

Never been to Moscow so I can't comment there. The pictures look amazing.

As for the transit in my area, Baltimore gets points for being one of the most multi-modal cities in the country. We have heavy rail, light rail, commuter rail, intercity rail, local buses, express buses, commuter buses, and even the "water taxi" (pedestrian ferry). Just recently, bus lanes were introduced in congested parts of the city. The bus system was completely overhauled last year, so it's organized more logically than it had been before. It's built around a spine of several high-frequency (for here) routes that run 24/7 (well, OK, more like 22/7). It could be better, but it could be a lot worse too.

Old Today, 07:02 AM

1 posts
I live in Sydney and despite the fact it's been chaotic for the past days [url]http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-10/sydney-trains-issued-with-please-explain-over-network-meltdown/9316860[/url] - I will give Sydney's public transportation: B-

The modes are:
Sydney Train (21 Hours operation and more than 170 stations)
Light Rail (23 stations)
Buses (24 hours)
Ferries (8 routes) - Sydney's harbour is just amazing.

The city is experiencing massive infrastructure projects :
*Sydney Metro: 31 stations by 2024
*Expansion of the light rail system.

Pros:
It is clean and safe. Especially compared to other developed cities with similar population such as Berlin and San Francisco
It is not expensive compared to many other cities.
It is easy to use, friendly staff.
It is comfortable, especially Sydney trains, the ferries!

Best public transportation? I would say Berlin but I haven't been to Japan yet.
Best Public Transportation in North America? Montreal or DC.
Worst public transportation? I found Barcelona's very confusing, the metro closes at 12:30 am and then if you want to use buses you NEED a different card according to the bus drivers who were very rude too (I speak Spanish too)

Last edited by usuariodeldia; Today at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World