U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these is the world's most futuristic city?
Abu Dhabi 2 6.45%
Abuja 0 0%
Amsterdam 0 0%
Astana 2 6.45%
Bangalore 0 0%
Brasilia 0 0%
Curitiba 0 0%
Doha 2 6.45%
Dubai 6 19.35%
Helsinki 0 0%
Hong Kong 1 3.23%
London 1 3.23%
Los Angeles 1 3.23%
Moscow 0 0%
New York City 1 3.23%
Osaka 0 0%
San Francisco 0 0%
Sao Paulo 0 0%
Seoul 1 3.23%
Shanghai 3 9.68%
Singapore 1 3.23%
Sydney 0 0%
Tokyo 8 25.81%
Toronto 1 3.23%
Frankfurt 0 0%
Other 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
Old 01-09-2018, 09:06 PM
3,046 posts, read 1,347,000 times

Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Some of these shouldn't even be listed (Sydney, Toronto, SF, Moscow, Helsinki and Bangalore???)
I think there are certain angles of Moscow that look futuristic

Last edited by grega94; 01-09-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 AM
9 posts, read 2,773 times
Moscow? Are you serious? Moscow is medieval city lol.

I think only Tokyo.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 AM
3,046 posts, read 1,347,000 times
Originally Posted by Kaaaan View Post
Moscow? Are you serious? Moscow is medieval city lol.

I think only Tokyo.
I agree, I wouldn’t vote Moscow, but I understand why someone might, Moscow City (place with all the skyscrapers) looks very modern and futuristic, and with the strong contrast with Soviet, Stalinist, imperial and medieval architecture gives this dystopian feel, especially when cloudy.

And I don’t think Tokyo looks that futuristic, or at least not the modern concept of it. I think Doha/Dubai or Hong Kong/Shanghai looks the most futuristic.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:31 PM
3,094 posts, read 2,153,210 times
Again, part of this subjective and depends on what your vision for futuristic is. It isn't a one size fits all answer. Rationale for each of these

Sydney: A major hub for it's region, with plenty of modern architecture, somewhat clean/modern feel, well educated, and has a heavy Asia-Pacific influence. Has a design for it's suburbs that fits the SoCal model of design (dense, inter-nodal), where there's a major business and tourism center, but people in areas around community still live in places that are perhaps more neighborly, and much of what they need is around them.

Toronto: The city, that demographics wise, aesthetic wise, etc. seems to be very much a match of Sydney. Extremely diverse and well educated, plenty of modern architecture. Has more of an international outlook that passes it beyond the boundaries of it's country.

SF: Is one of the largest tech hubs on the planet (when thinking at the metro level. Has a very clean and modern feel throughout many areas, excellent modern architecture, ahead of cusp on many cultural/building trends, very diverse, well educated, good regional transit system (at least by US standards). Many things changing the way we live our built here.

Moscow: Has some dystopian aesthetic left over, but also acts as a multinational business hub with an incredible central skyline. Has links to many corners of the globe.

Helsinki: Known the world over for it's innovations in modern design (World Design Capital), Livability (a consistent world leader), education, park space/bicycle friendliness, and data transparency. Keep in mind, Nokia came from here.

Bangalore: As much of a clean/modern tech hub as one will find in the developing world. Will be interesting to see the influence/development of a place like this in the years ahead.

Not saying any of these are an absolute winner, as the one I picked would be different from any of these also, but I figured I'd rather include a wider rather than narrow range of cities for consideration.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:40 PM
1,115 posts, read 523,172 times
Dubai for sure
Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 PM
3,208 posts, read 4,875,902 times
A mix of Pyongyang and Mogadishu.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 PM
13,940 posts, read 15,178,194 times
I distinguish between modernism, futurism (which I see as a rejection of both modernism and post-modernism), and whatever architectural aesthetic the actual "future" might hold.

Modernism, especially what the 21st century is bringing in the West, seems less beholden to futurism than it did when modernist architecture burst forth in the early-mid 20th century while maintaining a vision of aethetic innovation. This is exemplified in Oslo's recent development, and I see similar trends in new American architecture as well. In some ways, I consider this the most innovative streak in new architecture since the ideas seem more architect driven rather than architects taking cues from other sources, whether traditional or the fantasies of futurists.

On the other hand, a lot of Asian cities, especially in east Asia are firmly modeling their new architecture after a contemporary futurist aesthetic. An seemingly very consicious application of futurist, "cyberpunk" motifs, especially with proportions and light.

Then there is simple "future". Here is where considering decay (Pripyat), eclectic mixes of traditional/post-modern/modern/futurist (NYC, London, other Western cities), and dystopian (a lot of Western/eastern European modernism, including, for example, brutalism) come into play. Then, who knows what the aesthetic preferences of the future may hold? Heck, Neo-gothic or Art Deco could make a comeback. You never know.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 AM
6,014 posts, read 11,050,701 times
Shanghai and Dubai have the most futuristic architecture. The architecture in Tokyo is older so feels less futuristic.

Surprised that New York is on the list. NYC is far from the most futuristic place even in the United States. I would say the most futuristic cities in the US are Dallas and Houston (with Atlanta, Las Vegas, and Charlotte close behind), though these aren't the most futuristic in the world. I define mainstream America as "contemporary" so Shanghai and Dubai are futuristic in comparison.

I'm surprised to hear Moscow mentioned. I've always thought of Moscow as a drab, gray city which is part of its "charm" and authenticity and its Cold War era appeal. All the new modern buildings in Moscow detract from this mood and make Moscow more generic.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 PM
6,198 posts, read 7,021,902 times
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Question regarding Maglev. Is there a line of it in Tokyo already in use? If so, which one is it? I knew they had something in the works, but was not sure if it was done yet. Definitely want to ride the line if so.

What other features would you describe as more advanced, or that make it the most advanced city in the world? I know you described many positive features earlier in your message, but I'm mainly referring to technology/infrastructure here.
My sincerest apologies for the delayed reply.

You are correct. The Maglev doesn't exist right now but is instead under construction and will be a successor to the current Shinkansen bullet train. The Maglev in Japan began construction in 2014 and will be done in the 2020s and become fully operational then. The current bullet train system, the Shinkasen, connects Tokyo with Nagoya, Nagoya with Osaka, and then Osaka south into Fukuoka. The Maglev will cover the same ground but will increase the speed by 100 miles per hour faster. The Shinkasen's top out speed is in the 200 miles per hour, whereas the Maglev will top out in the 300s.

What makes Tokyo a very advanced city is in how much they use technology to make their resident's lives easier and more practical. It isn't just the LED screens and neonic lights but even things like the bathroom equipment at your hotel (with multi-functional toilets, hair dryers, and the like), the automated security clearance at the ATM machines, the infrared sensors that activate lighting or panel displays in office buildings without the need to press anything, the incredibly fast and reliable (stable) Internet connection service which is abundant all over the city, the early disaster warning system synchronized with people's cell phones, the well kept infrastructure designed to not only fit into the urban mold but to do so efficiently, the build of the structures - able to withstand violent shaking without taking damage, the infrastructure to fit vehicles and housing in such small compact spaces. It is like squeezing every bit of value out of something in the best possible way. It takes a lot of basic things that everywhere has and makes improvements on those very things, it not only makes things more efficient but it makes people's lives easier. Tokyo is elite in mobile technology and the way mobile technology connects people with others but also with their natural environs, lots of applications and programs have natural interfaces embedded into them that give people a better awareness of their surrounding environs. It's very organized and structured well, a model society in these regards IMO.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:17 AM
510 posts, read 443,269 times
Seattle, Washington.
It ranks pretty highly for looking futuristic imo

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or