U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 05:50 PM

428 posts, read 76,161 times

Advertisements

Portugal has risen to number three, after Iceland and New Zealand, on the rankings of the Global Peace Index, based on 23 criteria. In past years, Portugal was barely in the top 20. Most of the other top spots are not surprising. Predictably, the USA flounders in the lower quartile, behind countries like Honduras and Myanmar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 06:42 PM

682 posts, read 1,018,698 times
Mexico and Colombia are surprisingly low on the list. Military expenditure is strangely a part of the criteria, which is probably a big reason for why the US is so low.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Mexico and Colombia are surprisingly low on the list. Military expenditure is strangely a part of the criteria, which is probably a big reason for why the US is so low.
The reason the US is so low is because it maintains an active military presence on every continent, is constantly at war in several countries, threatening war against a dozen others and supplying arms to most of the rest. With a home-based military industrial complex that foments wars and revolutions for profit. Not to mention the highest incarceration rate in the world, even higher than North Korea.

The countries at the bottom currently have shooting wars going on. A few, like India, Philipplines, Ethiopia, have long summering rebellions in progress that rarely flare up to attract the world's attention, but they are still there.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:16 PM

24,075 posts, read 15,687,761 times
We will drop further in the coming years as we're buying artillery, fighters and warships in the next years. And possibly more.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 PM

932 posts, read 287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The reason the US is so low is because it maintains an active military presence on every continent, is constantly at war in several countries, threatening war against a dozen others and supplying arms to most of the rest. With a home-based military industrial complex that foments wars and revolutions for profit. Not to mention the highest incarceration rate in the world, even higher than North Korea.

The countries at the bottom currently have shooting wars going on. A few, like India, Philipplines, Ethiopia, have long summering rebellions in progress that rarely flare up to attract the world's attention, but they are still there.
Most countries that have an MIC engage in the business of selling weapons. Nothing unique about that.
I will admit that you're right about the incarceration rate playing a big role.

I also firmly believe that there are far more important criteria than war itself to judge a country's peacefulness, as ironic as that may sound. Things such as gender equality, LGBT rights, SSM, freedom of speech, censorship, religious freedom, political party representation... basically things that affect people's daily livelihood.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:09 PM

6,267 posts, read 4,058,090 times
This index is full of ****.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Most countries that have an MIC engage in the business of selling weapons. Nothing unique about that.
I will admit that you're right about the incarceration rate playing a big role.
The USA originates 30% of all the international arms sales, ranking first, selling more arms than Russia and China combined.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_i...arms_exporters

Old 01-07-2018, 12:42 PM

113 posts, read 13,081 times
I can see why Iceland would be up there, surprised by the change in Portugal but hey, awesome right? Overall I see no reason to be surprised with the ranking of the USA on here.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:41 PM

932 posts, read 287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
I can see why Iceland would be up there, surprised by the change in Portugal but hey, awesome right? Overall I see no reason to be surprised with the ranking of the USA on here.
It's easy come on top when your population is so small. But kudos to those nations for getting a lot of things right.

I'm still surprised by the US ranking. If it were up to me it would be somewhere between 20-30, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 AM

5,582 posts, read 1,779,563 times
Portugal still has the paramilitary Republican Guard known as the GNR, which is the equivalent of the Spanish Civil Guard, who were recently subject to criticism in relation to their treatment of people during the Catalonia protests.

I know the GNR were accused of beating up Irish football fans in 2015.

l'I was hit over the head' - Irish fans allegedly attacked by Albufeira police ahead of Gibraltar qualifier - Irish Independent

I hardly think some of the countries on this list are that peaceful internally and many suffer serious corruption problems and have very dodgy authorities and police.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-11-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World