Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 AM

26,866 posts, read 13,088,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post

No the UK doesn't have the poverty found in some parts of the US (the US is much larger country so it's no surprise there are bigger regional differences including in terms of development) but its rough areas are even rougher than France's (I lived in a couple of them). And it certainly did have terrorist attacks just like Sweden...that was a blatant lie on your part.

Simon Kuper, just like yourself, is massively deluded in that case.

And yes public figures do get condemned if they call out fat people or even if they say they don't like women's football. Another blatant lie on your part...either that or you don't follow the news that much.
You are the one that is deluded, and I don't believe you have even set foot in the UK.

Even the Guardian acknowledges the difference in levels of poverty between London and Paris.

Paris? Give me diverse London any day - The Guardian

In terms of London it has a murder rate of less than 150 per year, which is pretty good for a city of over 9 million, with 3 million daily commuters and nearly 20 million foreign tourists.

There has also been massive investment in housing, and the post war estates in London and other cities have now largely been torn down and replaced by new community based traditional housing with estates such as the Heygate Esate, Aylesbury Estate, North Action Estate and over 118 housing sites are undergoing demolition or facing regeneration in London alone.

At the same time Crossrail, HS2, Thameslink, Northern Power House Rail etc are just a few of the vast transformative transport projects being under taken, whilst the London Underground has had much more spent on it than many other systems including the NYC subway.

As for poverty it has nothing to do with the size of a country, and can be tackled at a local and regional level.

As for going on about women's football and fat people, I really don't know what you are going on about, as women's football is no where near as big in the UK as in the US, whilst fatties are encouraged to go on diets by their local family NHS doctor.

Finally in terms of the news Paris and France have gone through massive yellow vest riots and many US cities are also the scenes of terrible disorder, and even Spain was the subject of Catalan riots and is now begging for EU funds to help it get through the current virus, along with Portugal which is one of the poorest states in Europe.

Italy is another country in serious economic trouble and even before Covid it's banks were close to collapsing, and then you have the likes of Greece, which has been left in a desperate state since the Euro-crisis.

Mass immigration in Germany has caused numerous problems including murders and rapes, and even countries such in Scandinavia such as Sweden are now the subject of immigrant gangs and regular bomb attacks.

So it beggars belief that you attack the UK, although given that you are not a long standing member you are probably somebody like the notorious Irene who has just come here to stir up trouble.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-05-2020 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 AM

364 posts, read 208,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You are the one that is deluded, and I don't believe you have even set foot in the UK.

Even the Guardian acknowledges the difference in levels of poverty between London and Paris.

In terms of London it has a murder rate of less than 150 per year, which is pretty good for a city of over 9 million, with 3 million daily commuters and nearly 20 million foreign tourists.

There has also been massive investment in housing, and the post war estates in London and other cities have now largely been torn down and replaced by new community based traditional housing with estates such as the Heygate Esate, Aylesbury Estate, North Action Estate and over 118 housing sites are undergoing demolition or facing regeneration in London alone.

At the same time Crossrail, HS2, Thameslink, Northern Power House Rail etc are just a few of the vast transformative transport projects being under taken, whilst the London Underground has had much more spent on it than many other systems including the NYC subway.

As for poverty it has nothing to do with the size of a country, and can be tackled at a local and regional level.

As for going on about women's football and fat people, I really don't know what you are going on about, as women's football is no where near as big in the UK as in the US, whilst fatties are encouraged to go on diets by their local family NHS doctor.
The Guardian?! Really?! The most leftist (and ridiculous) newspaper in the country and possibly the whole European continent? Yeah, they don't have a left wing bias at all.

Have you actually been in any deprived areas of London, or Birmingham, or Luton or anywhere else in the country and seen how bad they are? I have a friend for instance who lives in a super nice suburb of Brighton and who has never been to a slumy area and he has no idea what I'm on about when I talk about the social problems that the UK has. Maybe you're the same...although I tend to think you're just being facetious and lying to yourself about how downhill your country has gone...thanks to leftists like yourself!

There you go, you admit that you have no idea what I'm talking about (or maybe you're being facetious again). People get c**p from others these days if they say they don't like women's football or if they criticize fat people.

And you're saying those things that are happening in Germany and Sweden are not happening in the UK as well?? Your blatant lies are getting more and more ridiculous.

No need to point out that I'm not a long standing member. That has nothing to do with the issues hand. Are you running out of arguments or something?

All in all I'm glad that you're so relaxed about the state of the country and that you think it's going in such a good direction [sarcasm]. This will be my last reply to you on this topic so I don't keep hijacking the thread. I've made my point: political correctness and teenagers' behaviour is worse in the UK than in Spain and most of the western world. I'll let you have 'the last word' if you want. Bye!

Old 10-05-2020, 08:50 AM

36,883 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Finally in terms of the news Paris and France have gone through massive yellow vest riots and many US cities are also the scenes of terrible disorder, and even Spain was the subject of Catalan riots and is now begging for EU funds to help it get through the current virus, along with Portugal which is one of the poorest states in Europe.

Italy is another country in serious economic trouble and even before Covid it's banks were close to collapsing, and then you have the likes of Greece, which has been left in a desperate state since the Euro-crisis.

Mass immigration in Germany has caused numerous problems including murders and rapes, and even countries such in Scandinavia such as Sweden are now the subject of immigrant gangs and regular bomb attacks.
In terms of infrastructure, in some ways London is playing catch up to Paris. Through-running commuter / regional trains through the center as Crossrail does is something Paris had done decades ago while high speed rail and a good lot of faster regional / commuter rail has been in France's non-primate cities have been up for a bit. Paris isn't exactly resting on that either as they have some very large transit projects currently under construction many of them under the umbrella of the Grand Paris Express project and some big ones outside of that larger project like the RER E line extension which is a bit of a Crossrail project itself (extends the existing E line westwards in new dedicated double track tunnels to meet with another existing rail line that it'll take over and then take over another existing rail line for a very long east-west service.

Paris did go through the yellow vest riots, though some of their discontent is reasonable. France did push for diesel and then it turned out diesel wasn't such a good idea and they now have essentially stranded assets and vehicles are usually the second largest part of the budget after housing.

I do like both cities though!

Here's a classic (but let someone else answer this since it's pretty much guaranteed your choice is London!):

Paris, France versus London, UK

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-05-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 AM

26,866 posts, read 13,088,379 times
Quote:
The Guardian?! Really?! The most leftist (and ridiculous) newspaper in the country and possibly the whole European continent? Yeah, they don't have a left wing bias at all.

Have you actually been in any deprived areas of London, or Birmingham, or Luton or anywhere else in the country and seen how bad they are? I have a friend for instance who lives in a super nice suburb of Brighton and who has never been to a slumy area and he has no idea what I'm on about when I talk about the social problems that the UK has. Maybe you're the same...although I tend to think you're just being facetious and lying to yourself about how downhill your country has gone...thanks to leftists like yourself!

There you go, you admit that you have no idea what I'm talking about (or maybe you're being facetious again). People get c**p from others these days if they say they don't like women's football or if they criticize fat people.

All in all I'm glad that you're so relaxed about the state of the country and that you think it's going in such a good direction [sarcasm]. This will be my last reply to you on this topic so I don't keep hijacking the thread. I'll let you have 'the last word' if you want. Bye!
What are you going on about, there are rich and poor areas in every city in the world, and London and Birmingham have some very wealthy areas, whilst poverty is no worse than in other European cities, and in terms of Luton which is only a relatively small place by comparison, there are some very wealthy areas nearby, and even Luton has an expanding airport and other facilities.

In terms of the UK there has been a massive improvement in many towns and cities, including better housing, transport, schools, hospitals etc, and a number of areas you call slum areas have been demolished.

Have you been to US cities, or seen the tented shanty towns in many cities or the vast immigrant tents in Paris, or the social problems in Southern Europe caused by the Euro-Crisis or the immigrant areas of Sweden.

I am not sure what your point is in terms of singling out the UK, and you can now scurry away to whence you came as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In terms of infrastructure, in some ways London is playing catch up to Paris. Through-running commuter / regional trains through the center as Crossrail does is something Paris had done decades ago while high speed rail and a good lot of faster regional / commuter rail has been in France's non-primate cities have been up for a bit. Paris isn't exactly resting on that either as they have some very large transit projects currently under construction many of them under the umbrella of the Grand Paris Express project.

Paris did go through the yellow vest riots, though some of their discontent is reasonable. France did push for diesel and then it turned out diesel wasn't such a good idea and they now have essentially stranded assets and vehicles are usually the second largest part of the budget after housing.

I do like both cities though!

Here's a classic (but let someone else answer this since it's pretty much guaranteed your choice is London!):

Paris, France versus London, UK
They're both equally bad these days but I'll go with London because to me it feels like it has more character.

Costa Brava, Spain or South -western coast of France?

Old 10-05-2020, 02:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,596,487 times
Quote:
They're both equally bad these days but I'll go with London because to me it feels like it has more character.

Costa Brava, Spain or South -western coast of France?
I'm gonna go Costa Brava since I kinda like Spain

Bari, Italy or Split, Croatia

Old 10-05-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I'm gonna go Costa Brava since I kinda like Spain

Bari, Italy or Split, Croatia
Split because I think Croatia is even prettier.

Costa Rica or New Zealand?

Btw so glad this thread has gone back to normal. I just hope the drama queens will let it be.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:41 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,006,709 times
Quote:
Split because I think Croatia is even prettier.

Costa Rica or New Zealand?

Btw so glad this thread has gone back to normal. I just hope the drama queens will let it be.
New Zealand as I love snow covered mountains.

Jeddah Saudi Arabia or Bethlehem Palestine?

Old 10-08-2020, 01:21 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,874,969 times
Quote:
Um no, I've lived in the UK for several years now and I've seen it go downhill overnight.

And why are you so bothered by my view and getting so defensive without providing any counterarguments?? Is it because you know it's true and you're bothered by it?
Ive lived in the UK for a LOT longer than 'several years' and really it hasn't gone 'downhill', Britons enjoy a better standard of living than at ANY time in their history, compare Britain now to Britain of the 1970's! Now of course Covid has somewhat 'b*ggered' things up a bit but thats not just the UK now is it?

Old 10-08-2020, 09:03 PM

30,454 posts, read 17,876,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
New Zealand as I love snow covered mountains.

Jeddah Saudi Arabia or Bethlehem Palestine?
This is tough as I'd really hate to live in either location. Ultimately, though, I'd live in Jeddah over Bethlehem. Both seem relatively stable today, but the West Bank is more of a powder keg waiting to go off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World