Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2020, 08:41 AM
 
Location: In the heights
37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Reputation: 21217

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
New Zealand as I love snow covered mountains.

Jeddah Saudi Arabia or Bethlehem Palestine?
I think Bethlehem though it's much smaller than Jeddah. Its climate seems more better suited for me, it's a lot of tourism which is a good chance to meet a lot of people, and its a religiously and linguistically diverse which could be interesting. I also assume this means less social restrictions in some ways. Plus, Tel Aviv is a relatively short distance away and that's a really fun city.

In honor of the Nobel Chemistry Prize winners for that delicious, delicious CRISPR work:

Berkeley (San Francisco Bay Area), USA vs Berlin, Germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2020, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix
11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Reputation: 12950
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think Bethlehem though it's much smaller than Jeddah. Its climate seems more better suited for me, it's a lot of tourism which is a good chance to meet a lot of people, and its a religiously and linguistically diverse which could be interesting. I also assume this means less social restrictions in some ways. Plus, Tel Aviv is a relatively short distance away and that's a really fun city.

In honor of the Nobel Chemistry Prize winners for that delicious, delicious CRISPR work:

Berkeley (San Francisco Bay Area), USA vs Berlin, Germany
Berlin, Germany - it's a major global city and hub of commerce and culture. Excellent music and arts scenes. Berkeley is a small city whose economy is largely continent on a single university there; it's COL is quite high for the return you get. Extremely, infamously far-left local politics and the ever-more-frequent risk of disruptive and dangerous protests and riots... Though the Bay Area itself is nice and the area's topography is great.

Macau vs Monaco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 AM
 
365 posts, read 215,738 times
Reputation: 174
Probably Macau because I think these days China is a better place to be than Europe since it has gone so downhill (especially the UK!)

Thailand or Malaysia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 AM
 
Location: In the heights
37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Reputation: 21217
Skipping the previous one because the topic specifically referred to cities and both those countries above have some pretty wild internal variations in regards to cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Berlin, Germany - it's a major global city and hub of commerce and culture. Excellent music and arts scenes. Berkeley is a small city whose economy is largely continent on a single university there; it's COL is quite high for the return you get. Extremely, infamously far-left local politics and the ever-more-frequent risk of disruptive and dangerous protests and riots... Though the Bay Area itself is nice and the area's topography is great.

Macau vs Monaco
Monaco! I might have picked Macau in previous years, but I think the crackdown on the SARs has sort of blunted my enthusiasm a bit. I also like Monaco's weather more and it's an easy jog to some very different cities by rail. The big issue is the cost-of-living in Monaco, but coming from a bougie part of NYC, it's doable though we'd probably opt for a smaller living space. Of course, if the French suburbs of Monaco are in the running, then it's actually quite a bit more affordable.

Oxford, UK vs Pasadena, US

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-13-2020 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 02:05 PM
 
Location: London, UK
4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Reputation: 2900
Oxford, love its architectual spires, cycling and academic culture.

Timbuktu vs Karakorum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 PM
 
1,764 posts, read 1,026,203 times
Reputation: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Oxford, love its architectual spires, cycling and academic culture.

Timbuktu vs Karakorum
Karakorum because Timbuktu is too hot for me. I rather experience cold than constant hot weather Timbuktu experiences.

Amritsar India or Kyoto Japan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2020, 10:10 AM
 
4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Reputation: 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Karakorum because Timbuktu is too hot for me. I rather experience cold than constant hot weather Timbuktu experiences.

Amritsar India or Kyoto Japan
Kyoto for being first world.

Oklahoma City or Adelaide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 AM
 
Location: London, UK
4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Kyoto for being first world.

Oklahoma City or Adelaide?
Whilst I'd usually choose the States over Australia, Adelaide just seems prettier and a better city. Glenelg beach & Moseley beach club (the fact it has beach at all), the river Torrens & better public transit. Not to mention no Tornados.

Cuenca, Ecuador vs Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 09:48 AM
 
76 posts, read 38,867 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Whilst I'd usually choose the States over Australia, Adelaide just seems prettier and a better city. Glenelg beach & Moseley beach club (the fact it has beach at all), the river Torrens & better public transit. Not to mention no Tornados.

Cuenca, Ecuador vs Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chiang Mai - Lived there for a while and absolutely loved it. Great weather, people, food, and lots to do and great location in proximity to other great places. Colombia is about as close to Cuenca as I got. I couldn't relate to the culture as much doesn't seem as vibrant in Cuenca.


Madrid, Spain vs. Istanbul, Turkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Taipei
7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Reputation: 4989
Madrid I suppose. I've never been to Istanbul and I feel it would probably be my pick if I was single, but with the family in consideration Madrid seems the safer more stable choice. But it could easily flip if I ever get to visit. They're both high on my preference list.

Valencia, Spain vs Antalya, Turkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top