U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 02:42 PM

29,113 posts, read 28,174,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Addis Ababa, because most places are a better choice than any wholly owned franchise of allah akbar.

Portland, Oregon or Budapest, Hungary.

Budapest, Hungary! I have friends in both places, but assuming I have about pretty equal financial standing in both places, I think Budapest is actually a much more charming and bustling city than Portland.

Two capitals way out in the hinterlands:

Ulan Ude, Russia or Puerto Natales, Chile
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 7,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Budapest, Hungary! I have friends in both places, but assuming I have about pretty equal financial standing in both places, I think Budapest is actually a much more charming and bustling city than Portland.

Two capitals way out in the hinterlands:

Ulan Ude, Russia or Puerto Natales, Chile
Puerto Natales Chile by a landslide.

Not only has stunning scenery (Snowcapped Andes in the background and an archipelago full of some of the best sea food in the world. Google: Chilean sea food.

Not only that, Ulan Ude is brutally cold, in the middle of Siberia, and landlocked with the sea thousands of miles away.

Iqaluit Nunavut Canada or Nuuk Greenland?

Last edited by inbred-anglo; 03-06-2021 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-07-2021, 07:21 AM

29,113 posts, read 28,174,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred-anglo View Post
Puerto Natales Chile by a landslide.

Not only has stunning scenery (Snowcapped Andes in the background and an archipelago full of some of the best sea food in the world. Google: Chilean sea food.

Not only that, Ulan Ude is brutally cold, in the middle of Siberia, and landlocked with the sea thousands of miles away.

Iqaluit Nunavut Canada or Nuuk Greenland?

Nuuk, Greenland. I was looking at them on Google street view and Nuuk actually has paved sidewalks in parts and drainage ditches whereas Iqaluit does not. I have the feeling that the Canadian government is a lot more willing to tell people in Nunavut to go pound sand in a disaster than Denmark's is willing to tell people in Nuuk during a disaster. Also, apparently, Nuuk is warmer and has twice the population. That last part seems important given how small the population of both is.

Jiufen, Taiwan or Ithaca, Greece

Old 03-08-2021, 11:04 AM

31 posts, read 7,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nuuk, Greenland. I was looking at them on Google street view and Nuuk actually has paved sidewalks in parts and drainage ditches whereas Iqaluit does not. I have the feeling that the Canadian government is a lot more willing to tell people in Nunavut to go pound sand in a disaster than Denmark's is willing to tell people in Nuuk during a disaster. Also, apparently, Nuuk is warmer and has twice the population. That last part seems important given how small the population of both is.

Jiufen, Taiwan or Ithaca, Greece
Ithaca Greece.

Taiwan probably has its charms but it is not a place I am interested in.

Whitehorse Canada or Yellowknife Canada.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:35 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,167,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred-anglo View Post
Ithaca Greece.

Taiwan probably has its charms but it is not a place I am interested in.

Whitehorse Canada or Yellowknife Canada.
And I thought the choices over on the US City vs. City board were bad...

Whitehorse. At least its more below the Arctic Circle and near some more interesting scenery. Its also on an easier highway to escape the winters, and parts of Alaska and Gold Rush territory make for interesting weekend excursions when I'm not snowbound. And best of all, it actually has a better airport to escape. But both are way too small for me to make a living and even though I like some winter, it basically lasts six-seven months up there and frequently, it's dangerously cold.

Armadale, Western Australia or Milton Keynes, England?

Old 03-22-2021, 10:25 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,759,340 times
Armadale. Perth would have more activities for younger people and ways to meet them. Though I'm not excited about the weather and the isolation.

Darkhan, Mongolia or Espargos, Cape Verde?

Old Today, 05:02 AM

443 posts, read 360,170 times
Dharkan, Mongolia

Riga, Latvia or Lisbon, Portugal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World