U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM

786 posts, read 767,280 times

Advertisements

I don't think Asian kids particularly like Math more than anyone else {as no country seems to} but they excel at it because the Asian teaching system relies on rote learning.............endless memorization until you get it right and math works well with that line of teaching.

Conversely this is why East Asian students tend to do poorly in the more creative subjects such as social sciences, the arts, English {or whatever where the study of their native languages is essay and creatively expressed}...........rote learning doesn't get you anywhere. This is why there are so many Asian engineers, business professionals, and bankers where you play by the raw numbers as opposed to few in architecture, economics, and the social sciences where numbers are a small part of the equation but rather a profound understanding of the human condition and more creative thought.

Asian {especially Chinese and Korean} schools train students to "do" while Western schools train students to "think".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 5,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't think Asian kids particularly like Math more than anyone else {as no country seems to} but they excel at it because the Asian teaching system relies on rote learning.............endless memorization until you get it right and math works well with that line of teaching.

Conversely this is why East Asian students tend to do poorly in the more creative subjects such as social sciences, the arts, English {or whatever where the study of their native languages is essay and creatively expressed}...........rote learning doesn't get you anywhere. This is why there are so many Asian engineers, business professionals, and bankers where you play by the raw numbers as opposed to few in architecture, economics, and the social sciences where numbers are a small part of the equation but rather a profound understanding of the human condition and more creative thought.

Asian {especially Chinese and Korean} schools train students to "do" while Western schools train students to "think".
China, Japan and Korea have millions of artists, writers, singers... They just don't do it in western countries often.

Math is just memorization? How can you "memorize" what sin(x) means by rote learning, if you don't have the image in your head? For kids, math requires much less rote learning than language/literature and social science classes.

"Creative thinking" is just an excuse for lazy, bad students. The UK already woke up and started to use Chinese math texbooks.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 PM

909 posts, read 279,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China, Japan and Korea have millions of artists, writers, singers... They just don't do it in western countries often.

Math is just memorization? How can you "memorize" what sin(x) means by rote learning, if you don't have the image in your head? For kids, math requires much less rote learning than language/literature and social science classes.

"Creative thinking" is just an excuse for lazy, bad students. The UK already woke up and started to use Chinese math texbooks.
That's true. Math relies on far more than mere memorization. People who approach it with that mindset won't get far as the syntax will get lost on them.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 PM

6,260 posts, read 4,043,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I am not sure if it is simply a Western or American thing for people to hate math.

I do agree, at least with Asians, there is an emphasis on math in education because for careers and industries there is an emphasis to go into the sciences, engineering, computer related fields, medical field or business/finance.

I was born and grew up in the US, but both of my parents are from Taiwan. I remember when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I went to visit Taiwan over one school breaks. My parents wanted me to take my math book with me to prepare for class after the break is over. I had cousins the same age as me in Taiwan. When they saw my math book and the problems they started to laugh and started saying things- "man the problems in your math book as so easy" or that "we covered the same thing a couple of years earlier." Just showed the level of math they covered was higher than what we covered in the US at the same age.

I did not excel in math. I only did ok. I knew I would not become an engineer. I was more apt for the accounting math. I became a lawyer instead later on. Not sure what was the best career path to have taken. But, still surviving in it now. That is for another thread.

But, I do know plenty of Asians who do not like math, so it is not just a Western or American thing.
It’s so great that these Asian failed states enslave the kids with advanced, only to outsource the good ones when they become older to the country that doesn’t place any emphasis on math, aka America.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 AM

28,053 posts, read 28,717,874 times
I don't agree that most schoolkids hate math. I would say it is a 50/50 from my experience.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 AM

5,770 posts, read 9,219,813 times
I was part of the 50% who hated math , then. Even latin seemed to me preferable to maths, and latin is no fun either!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 AM

13,828 posts, read 16,540,863 times
Students are often pressured to learn math because it is required for a lot of high-paying jobs in much of the world. It really has nothing to do with liking/hating it.

In the U.S., engineering and the hard sciences pay the top median incomes for people with a bachelors degree. That's what it's all about.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 AM

6,260 posts, read 4,043,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't agree that most schoolkids hate math. I would say it is a 50/50 from my experience.
I'd say it's more like 90/10. With 90% on the hate side.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM

5,643 posts, read 5,422,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Students are often pressured to learn math because it is required for a lot of high-paying jobs in much of the world. It really has nothing to do with liking/hating it.

In the U.S., engineering and the hard sciences pay the top median incomes for people with a bachelors degree. That's what it's all about.
Young kids don't really think much about "high-paying jobs".
We learned math since 6 year old. Those who do well certainly enjoy it to some extent.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM

2,901 posts, read 2,387,891 times
Asian kids probably hate math as much as in the West. However in Asia there's so much family and social pressure to excel academically that kids mostly discipline themselves so as not to disappoint family and peers.

In Singapore kids have regular school hours and many then attend cram schools in the afternoon and evenings to enhance math skills and other subjects. The pressure can be enormous and can lead to suicide in rare cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World