U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 03:46 AM

5,956 posts, read 5,797,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
How is it not ironic? If the education in China (and other Asian countries) is so good, why are high schoolers and undergrads enrolling in American schools for tertiary and post-tertiary education en masse? If the math education is so bad in America, why are all the best institutions for science and engineering there?

And math is rote in Asia. You seem to think that you’re the only one who’s gone through the similar system, which couldn’t be further from the case here. Rote is not about memorisation, at least not primarily, it’s about repetition, which you have to do a lot in high school, especially in math.
Western countries developed science and technology earlier, but that doesn't mean they teach children math in the best way today. Isn't it simple? You think East Asian countries can improve themselves by adopting American math education? LMAO

In terms of technology, some European countries already fell behind Japan, South Korea, and China. America is doing OK because they can import talented people from other countries. Do you know most STEM PhDs in the US are international students? Especially in mathematics, statistics and computer science, the vast majority are from Asia and Eastern Europe.

Any complicated subject requires a lot of practice. You didn't write Chinese characters thousands of times? You didn't practice English grammar and vocabulary? Even singing, dancing and drawing require a lot of repetition. Math requires less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 04:55 AM

29,440 posts, read 30,149,515 times
Quote:
I'd say it's more like 90/10. With 90% on the hate side.

I disagree as I know quite a few children who like math now as well as when I was growing up. So perhaps it is more like 60-70% on the hate side but definitely quite a bit more than 10% like math.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM

14,668 posts, read 17,470,259 times
Quote:
How is it not ironic? If the education in China (and other Asian countries) is so good, why are high schoolers and undergrads enrolling in American schools for tertiary and post-tertiary education en masse? If the math education is so bad in America, why are all the best institutions for science and engineering there?
In America, the level of math education in high school and below is generally weak. In college, it is stronger. It also depends on which school district you go to. The educational level in good school districts is rated higher than in poor school districts. Also, there is a wide variation in states - Massachusetts is at the top and Louisiana is near the the bottom.

Lots of Asian students come to America largely because you make more money in America with high educational qualifications, especially for math-based professions.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:08 AM

6,424 posts, read 4,410,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Western countries developed science and technology earlier, but that doesn't mean they teach children math in the best way today. Isn't it simple? You think East Asian countries can improve themselves by adopting American math education? LMAO

In terms of technology, some European countries already fell behind Japan, South Korea, and China. America is doing OK because they can import talented people from other countries.
Math education in Western countries is appropriated according to the student's ability and interest. If a student is good at math or likes math, they will take advanced mathematics in high school. It's been this way for decades, and their higher education is still the best in the field by far.

And some European countries were never ahead.

Quote:
Do you know most STEM PhDs in the US are international students? Especially in mathematics, statistics and computer science, the vast majority are from Asia and Eastern Europe.
That doesn't mean American high schools are failing math while Asian high schools are doing well. If anything, that only means Americans don't need a PhD to survive while Asians need it to not have to return to the ****ty failed states.

Quote:
Any complicated subject requires a lot of practice. You didn't write Chinese characters thousands of times? You didn't practice English grammar and vocabulary? Even singing, dancing and drawing require a lot of repetition. Math requires less.
Have you been to high school? Ask any high schooler or anyone who's been to high school. They would tell you that math and physics are the hardest and require the most practice. In any Asian country there are way more cram schools for math than for any other subject. You must have been living under a rock if you think math requires less practice than subjects like Chinese or History.

Besides, it's laughable that you are claiming in some superior tone that Americans suck at foreign languages, as if Asians were linguistic geniuses. Give me a break. Most East Asians can barely finish a sentence in English despite having it shoved down the throat since primary school.

Asian schooling system is pure trash. It's that simple. Anyone arguing otherwise is just burying their head in the sand.

Last edited by Greysholic; 01-11-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM

24,268 posts, read 16,757,930 times
Quote:
In terms of technology, some European countries already fell behind Japan, South Korea, and China.

How do you measure this? At least if you don't mean countries like Albania, Greece and Moldova.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 PM

228 posts, read 96,325 times
Yes, we all hate Maths.

I got used to it as I'm taking a finance degree due to good job perspectives but it's not my cup of tea.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:08 PM

529 posts, read 203,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How do you measure this? At least if you don't mean countries like Albania, Greece and Moldova.
It is true, Europe has and is falling behind, this is exemplified by the lack of tech companies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSU5MFPn6Zk

Old 01-11-2018, 02:52 PM

24,268 posts, read 16,757,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
It is true, Europe has and is falling behind, this is exemplified by the lack of tech companies.

Philips and Nokia haven't gone anywhere.

And new tech companies pop up across Europe all the time.

China, Japan and the worse Korea are doing great in the tech field, but I don't see Europe to have fallen behind but for maybe software companies, and maybe temporarily in consumer electronics.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM

5,956 posts, read 5,797,810 times
Quote:
Math education in Western countries is appropriated according to the student's ability and interest. If a student is good at math or likes math, they will take advanced mathematics in high school. It's been this way for decades, and their higher education is still the best in the field by far.

And some European countries were never ahead.

That doesn't mean American high schools are failing math while Asian high schools are doing well. If anything, that only means Americans don't need a PhD to survive while Asians need it to not have to return to the ****ty failed states.

Have you been to high school? Ask any high schooler or anyone who's been to high school. They would tell you that math and physics are the hardest and require the most practice. In any Asian country there are way more cram schools for math than for any other subject. You must have been living under a rock if you think math requires less practice than subjects like Chinese or History.

Besides, it's laughable that you are claiming in some superior tone that Americans suck at foreign languages, as if Asians were linguistic geniuses. Give me a break. Most East Asians can barely finish a sentence in English despite having it shoved down the throat since primary school.

Asian schooling system is pure trash. It's that simple. Anyone arguing otherwise is just burying their head in the sand.
LOL
Even Americans admit their math education sucks (on average). I don't know why you are so self loathing, although many Taiwanese are.
I used to be a math tutor in an accredited American university. Quite some college students cannot solve quadratic equations! In China there is no way to find such a college student.

You are laughable to deny American students have much worse foreign language proficiency than Asian students. I don't know what you do in Taiwan, but in China an average student can compose English sentences to express basic ideas. Yes their oral English is usually bad but at least they can write. American students usually can do nothing.

You are the only one I have met to claim math education in America is better than in East Asia.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 4,410,550 times
Quote:
LOL
Even Americans admit their math education sucks (on average). I don't know why you are so self loathing, although many Taiwanese are.
I used to be a math tutor in an accredited American university. Quite some college students cannot solve quadratic equations! In China there is no way to find such a college student.
If they had never taken math in high school they wouldn't be able to solve quadratic equations. The only reason why all Asian college students can solve quadratic equations is that everyone is forced to take math.

Even if American primary and secondary education are indeed underperforming, it's because of extreme inequality, not because their education sucks. Canada for example has excellent school results, almost on par with Asian countries without overworking students to suicide. If Western societies aren't happy with their public education they only need to take notes from Canada.

I don't know why you are so complacent and nationalistic, although all Chinese are.

Quote:
You are laughable to deny American students have much worse foreign language proficiency than Asian students. I don't know what you do in Taiwan, but in China an average student can compose English sentences to express basic ideas. Yes their oral English is usually bad but at least they can write. American students usually can do nothing.
That can't be further from the case. An average student in Asia can't compose English sentences to express basic ideas.

Spectacular English composition to express basic ideas, isn't it?

Quote:
You are the only one I have met to claim math education in America is better than in East Asia.
Nobel Laureate On Japanese and Asian education: "The Japanese entrance exam system is very bad. And China, Japan, Korea are all the same. For all high school students, their education target is to enter a famous university. I think the Asian educational system is a waste of time. Young people [should be able] to study different things."
And Japan is already a lot less brutal on its students than Korea and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World