U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mexico City or Cairo? (for a visitor)
Cairo 3 21.43%
Mexico City 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM

3,466 posts, read 2,595,077 times

Advertisements

Just as it is set, in regards to:

-Historical Sites
-Climate
-Natural Setting
-Safety
-Cultural Institutions
-Food/Drink Options
-Other Events/Traditions/Attractions
-Getting Around (Walkability and Transit)
-Day and Weekend Trips
-Miscellaneous Factors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM

4,295 posts, read 3,961,617 times
-Safety - Mexico, I rather get robbed than blown up,
-Food/Drink Options - I imagine Mexico as better food, drink and nightlife options.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:09 AM

6,111 posts, read 10,173,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
-Food/Drink Options - I imagine Mexico as better food, drink and nightlife options.
In terms of safety, Mexico City is certainly less bad for the reason you cite. Also the average North American or European is more likely to speak or at least understand at least some Spanish, compared to Arabic, so they would feel more at home.

As for food, realize that Egyptian would be on par with any Mediterranean country, plus influences, I imagine, from the vast continent of Africa to varying degrees. So that could be a toss up depending on one's taste. Personally I prefer Mediterranean and on that score I feel at home from Morocco to Italy to Greece to Lebanon, while the entire continent of Africa offers a vast variety that defies synthesis here.

As for history, I suppose Egypt has the advantage that it can speak to contemporaries for the most part in its own language over some three thousand years, while most of what is left of Aztec mythology, philosophy and codices comes through the Spanish over some three hundred years.

Personally I wouldn't travel to either at this stage of my life and content myself instead with armchair documentaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137
Quote:
-Historical Sites - Cairo/Egypt
-Climate - toss up
-Natural Setting - toss up
-Safety - Mexico City relatively speaking
-Cultural Institutions - ???
-Food/Drink Options - Cairo in terms of food
-Other Events/Traditions/Attractions - don't know
-Getting Around (Walkability and Transit) - don't know
-Day and Weekend Trips - Cairo, unless you enjoy a proper ocean beach
-Miscellaneous Factors - Mexico City
Good luck to the OP in his decision.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:51 PM

I’m going to Mexico City in March and eagerly anticipating it, but the reason I asked is I do find both cities fascinating.

Mexico City seems to be to Latin America to a degree what Cairo is to the Middle East (a hub city of history and culture and tourism, for those reasons.)

I think Cairo has been more influential/grander overall, but Mexico City’s area contends quite well. You actually have the largest pyramid in the world at day trip distance and even closer is Teotihuacan with 3rd largest that you can actually climb up and a big complex around it. Plus a number of other sites around it. Cairo has more and they hold more significance, but I’m not sure if Cairo has a historic walkable area as well preserved or charming as Centro either.

Mexico City’s climate would seem to be more agreeable, at least for some one that doesn’t like excessive heat.

Cairo has the Nile River and isn’t far from Sahara which are both stunning and important features, but the diverse vegetation (and urban green spaces) and mountains of Mexico City are easier on the eyes in my book.

-I know Mexico City has a diverse cultural offering (more museums than any other city, World Design Capital 2018), but I don’t know how Cairo compares.

I’m not sure about other things, and Cairo, if nothing else for the Pyramids is high on my list of places to see. But my thinking is that for those on this side of the pond, Mexico City offers some charms that Cairo might (world class archaeological sites), with beautiful European-sequels center and other neighborhoods, and a number of uniquely Mexican cultural sites, attractions, traditions, with a much shorter flight and cost than Cairo has.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 PM

377 posts, read 167,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

-Historical Sites
-Climate
-Natural Setting
-Safety
-Cultural Institutions
-Food/Drink Options
-Other Events/Traditions/Attractions
-Getting Around (Walkability and Transit)
-Day and Weekend Trips
-Miscellaneous Factors
I have been to both.

Historical Sites - This one is easy, Cairo/Giza.
Climate - Most people would prefer Mexico City. None of the heat Cairo gets in the summer, and more consistent.
Safety - Mexico City, these days Egypt is a mess.
Cultural Institutions - Cairo. I feel the museums and other cultural institutions are more important.
-Food/Drink - Mexico City. Some of the best food in the world.
-Other events/Traditions/Attractions - This is a tough one, but I think Cairo is more enticing for a Western traveler. Mexican culture is largely Spanish culture with some Native influences.
-Getting Around - Mexico City. As much as traffic is bad in Mexico City, Cairo is worse. Mexico City also has a fairly decent subway system.
Day and Weekend Trips - Cairo. You have the red sea, Luxor, Alexandria. Israel as well.
-Miscellaneous Factors - These days, due to the crisis, Cairo is more affordable.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM

377 posts, read 167,308 times
Mexico City is the safer option, and for the American traveler - the closer option as well.

But I think Cairo/Egypt will be a more memorable experience. The culture there is just so completely different, the archaeological sites are probably some of the finest in the world, and the red sea is one of the most beautiful seas I ever swam/scuba dived in.

Egypt is troubled these days. To be fair, Egypt has always had a problem with terrorism, including terrorism that has targeted tourists. The government is a military dictatorship with no respect for human rights. My only consolation for the tourist would be that the government and vast majority people want you to come because that is their livelihood. Egypt without tourism is another Sudan.

Egypt is officially located on two continents (Asia and Africa separated by the Suez). It has access to two beautiful seas (Mediterranean and the Red sea). It has all sorts of archaeological ruins. Most people come to Egypt to see Pyramids and ruins associated with ancient Egypt. But there are also Roman and Biblical (in the Sinai) ruins to feast on as well.

The culture of the bedouins that you can find throughout Egypt is something overlooked as well. The Bedouins have many different origins and you have Bedouins throughout Egypt's west (Libyan border) and the Sinai, all with their own customs, clothing, etc.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:32 PM

Thanks to all who have shared insightful dialogue thus far.

A question for those posters mentioning the safety/stability situation in Egypt/Cairo right now. Obviously, I think Mexico City is quite safe right now (otherwise, I wouldn’t be going), and I do understand that Egypt, including Metropolitan Cairo has had several not small terrorist stacks in the past couple years. However, with that being said, is it really as bad day to day As is described? I would imagine for a tourist only going to main areas and being reasonable, it might not be Helsinki safe, but certainly as such a massive hub, it would have central areas where one (apartment from the fear of a random, highly unlikely, but of course sensational bombing) would feel quite okay and not be hassled. But the posts I’m
Reading now make it seem like even day to day, the place is on the level of a Caracas or Damascus. I’m just curious how palpable the unease would be, at street level.

(Terrorist attacks seem to be generally way less common but much more feared than street crime/violence, at least statistically, hence why I wondered)

Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM

That was a good post stating the merits of Cairo/Egypt in general. It sounds like the archaeological sites (though those in Mexico City are outstanding in the world as well, perhaps 2nd only to Cairo among Pyramids), and history in Cairo edges out and is more outstanding than Mexico City. But Mexico City has diverse elements/appeal that help it close the gap as well. I would be curious on if Cairo has walkable, inviting safe places in its center comparable to Coyoacan, Centro, Condesa, Polanco as well.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:24 PM

2,258 posts, read 830,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You are not going to get blown up. Ever. Anywhere. Every year, there are over a half a billion iwith a B) international travel arrivals. How many of those get blown up? One? Two? Over 20 million of those are to Arab countries, three million to Egypt. Every day, almost 10,000 travelers arrive in Egypt.

It is very, very easy to avoid ever being robbed when traveling abroad. Leave your valuable bling at home, keep your money and cards in a secure money belt, don't go out "for night life options" with strangers in parts of town you don't know. If you travel without taking common sense precautions, you're going to get robbed in Pierre, South Dakota.

As for the specific question, I consider Cairo to be the worst city I have ever been in, and I've been in a lot of them.

Last edited by cebuan; 01-16-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 06:35 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,471,383 times
In terms of urbanity and just a more interesting actual city to visit, i'd go with Mexico City really quite handily. Just far more interesting streetscapes, options, variety and urban things to do. Both cities have great museums and historical heft to them. Certainly Ancient Egypt has more of an allure to it than the ancient cultures of Mexico city including the Aztecs but both have a lot of historical places to experience. Ironically, Mexico City is close to the pyramids of Teotihuacan. About an hour drive from M.C and an easy day trip I totally recommend. Not quite as impressive as the Great Pyramids but not far off.

Cairo itself to me was not all that interesting. The Cairo Museum and obviously Great Pyramids of Giza are worthy of a visit but Cairo is largely just a platform to visit other places more interesting historical places in Egypt like Luxor (Valley of the Kings) and Aswan - Abu Simbel. Of course if you want, there are truly limitless ancient Egyptian points of interest in Egypt. Its an amazing country to visit and shouldn't be overlooked.

All said, simply city v city without taking the rest of the country into account - I'd say M.C is just more interesting and fun - better food.

As for safety - I didn't feel unsafe in either place. Terrorism obviously is a threat in Cairo but the chances are still pretty remote that you'd be a victim. Mexico City is fine if you use normal street smart precautions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or