U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM

1,657 posts, read 679,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Welcome in a large city where protests exist and can happen but it doesn't mean that Paris is turning into a warzone.
It's far to be something common. This article is over one year old.

You can walk without any problem in this neighborhood (infact the tents were just located on one block).
I can take pictures of the area tomorrow if you want.
I respect you for having the patience to answer to this kind of post. I m afraid that it is useless: since you are living in the area you ll be immediately considered as wrong, blind and biased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:07 AM

2,001 posts, read 701,097 times
Is the "Big 7" still the Big 7, now that Seoul has been added? If so, what city did it replace?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 680,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Is the "Big 7" still the Big 7, now that Seoul has been added? If so, what city did it replace?
The ‘Big Six’ become the ‘Big Seven’ - Decoding City Performance, JLL

Quote:
Now, according to analysis of more than 300 indices, Seoul has stepped up to join the ranks of the ‘Established World Cities’. Its rise from low-income city to global megacity over the past 40 years has been remarkable. The South Korean capital has recently made significant strides in raising its business and visitor profile, developing world-class universities and building its innovation capacity. However, its position within the premier group will continue to be threatened by geopolitical headwinds, lack of openness and comparatively low transparency (see page 27).
It looks like Seoul stepped up to the mark last year (the 2018 chart is based on data sets from 2017).

Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 AM

4,707 posts, read 2,964,850 times
I find it interesting that Seoul didn't even crack the top 20 on their list of "Building Brand." Which does beg the question, just what is Seoul's brand? If New York is known for finance and the "legitimate" theater, and Los Angeles is known for entertainment (among other things, of course), what is it about Seoul that makes it stand out from the pack?

Mind you, I think Seoul is an amazing place. Not that I'm all that widely traveled, but it's easily my favorite city of any that I've visited in the past decade or more. (And I've been to New York during that time period.) But I really don't know what it's famous for. K-pop, maybe?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 AM

4,707 posts, read 2,964,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
You can walk without any problem in this neighborhood (infact the tents were just located on one block).
I can take pictures of the area tomorrow if you want.
I'll leave that to you, thanks.

I've only been to Paris once, back in 1982, but I absolutely fell in love with it. Ever since then, it had been my favorite city . . . up until last summer, when Seoul supplanted it!

In more recent years, I've been hearing some distressing things about Paris, such as what that link described. I hate to imagine that beautiful, romantic city becoming a "hellhole" or anything like that, so I hope that these reports are overblown or not representative of the norm.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:04 AM

1,657 posts, read 679,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'll leave that to you, thanks.

I've only been to Paris once, back in 1982, but I absolutely fell in love with it. Ever since then, it had been my favorite city . . . up until last summer, when Seoul supplanted it!

In more recent years, I've been hearing some distressing things about Paris, such as what that link described. I hate to imagine that beautiful, romantic city becoming a "hellhole" or anything like that, so I hope that these reports are overblown or not representative of the norm.
They are.
Like when you here on UK forum that London has never been that dangerous (lol, BS, it's safe, very safe), or American cities are controlled by gangs shooting everywhere...
It's false and ultra exaggerated. New York is safe, London is safe, Paris is safe too. Internet can destroy your mind in 2sc by the overwhelming quantity of infos. Newspapers 38years ago couldn't give this effect of 'non stop news'.

And I lived in Busan. I know what real safety in a developed country is... You forgot your phone in the library? Come back one week later and it didn't move by 1cm

Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 AM

1,246 posts, read 481,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
They are.
Like when you here on UK forum that London has never been that dangerous (lol, BS, it's safe, very safe), or American cities are controlled by gangs shooting everywhere...
It's false and ultra exaggerated. New York is safe, London is safe, Paris is safe too. Internet can destroy your mind in 2sc by the overwhelming quantity of infos. Newspapers 38years ago couldn't give this effect of 'non stop news'.

And I lived in Busan. I know what real safety in a developed country is... You forgot your phone in the library? Come back one week later and it didn't move by 1cm
Even Shanghai is far safer than any major city in west hemisphere. Not on par with Japan and Korea, occasional petty crimes happen, but incredibly safe for a developing country. The poorest area of the city is safer than midtown NYC.

Gang activities only affect the bad neighborhoods in US cities. Plano, an affluent middle class city in Texas is ridiculously safe. Inner city Dallas is scary, but who in the right mind will go there?

Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 PM

1,173 posts, read 680,388 times
Quote:
I'm not happy about the current state of Paris, but a lot of the negative news about it is blown out of proportion.

You'll still find that romantic charm and beauty in many places. It's definitely worth visiting as long as you take the usual precautions.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:57 PM

6,496 posts, read 4,524,152 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that Seoul didn't even crack the top 20 on their list of "Building Brand." Which does beg the question, just what is Seoul's brand? If New York is known for finance and the "legitimate" theater, and Los Angeles is known for entertainment (among other things, of course), what is it about Seoul that makes it stand out from the pack?

Mind you, I think Seoul is an amazing place. Not that I'm all that widely traveled, but it's easily my favorite city of any that I've visited in the past decade or more. (And I've been to New York during that time period.) But I really don't know what it's famous for. K-pop, maybe?
Plastic surgery.

Itís amazing how these bull**** studies always generate so many discussions.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,013,826 times
Unfortunately people love the rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or