U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,014,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
You can walk without any problem in this neighborhood (infact the tents were just located on one block).
I can take pictures of the area tomorrow if you want.
Here is it.
The WARZONE.
The area around Stalingrad metro station.

DSC048636 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

DSC048642 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

DSC048649 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

DSC048661 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

DSC048669 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

DSC048675 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

DSC048704 by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've only been to Paris once, back in 1982...
In more recent years, I've been hearing some distressing things about Paris, such as what that link described. I hate to imagine that beautiful, romantic city becoming a "hellhole" or anything like that, so I hope that these reports are overblown or not representative of the norm.
This area is in better state than it was in 1982.

Last edited by Minato ku; 02-06-2018 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 02:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 679,172 times
Quote:
Here is it.
The WARZONE.

This area is in better state than it was in 19823
J'approuve, bien que certaines personnes ne peuvent pas concevoir Paris comme une zone où la vie est possible, intéressante, vivante et non une zone de guerre on l'on se fait voler à chaque mouvement avec un couteau et un coran sous la gorge

If you don't understand what I said... Well, dommage

I wish the world would be in the horrible state of Paris. That would end many wars.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:47 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,436,773 times
Quote:
Paris has the relatively unspoiled part and totally messed up part. It's still a leading city in advanced technology, math, arts, to name a few. But visiting/living in Paris is becoming very dangerous. The bad neighborhoods in Paris can be worse than Detroit. At least, the general consensus is that Paris is among the most dangerous cities in Europe, along with ghettos like Nice.

Seriously, even though I'm a big advocate of train system, I am very reluctant to ride metro in South Chicago/inner city Houston/Paris for safety concern. America is awful in many ways, but most of the time i feel pretty safe.
Um, this is all nonsense. Paris is much safer than any U.S. city. And riding the train in Paris (or anywhere, really) is much safer than driving.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:53 PM

1,876 posts, read 1,863,348 times
Quote:
This happens to be what I like about America.

Seoul has half of the population and more than half of the resource of Korea, that's why it's a massive city. But what about the rest of the country? What if you are ambitious but you hate living in such a overpopulated city? You have no choice in Korea but you still have opportunities in the US.

There are a ton of great cities in America that offer plenty of career opportunities, access to healthcare, recreational opportunities, etc. For instance, Dallas is home to quite a number of HQs(TI, Toyota, Southwest), good health care resource. Austin is home to a few high tech corporations and a world renowned public university. The same goes for Houston, Seattle, Boston, Miami, etc.

Small towns are already dying out in America. When medium sized cities and even larger cities have died out, the resources and population will consolidate into a few "global cities". Average people have to move to the global cities to find a job, but they can't afford housing.
The country is only the size of Indiana. I couldn't imagine a country so small having more then one major city like Seoul. Plus they have other larger cities that are larger and also prosperous that standout against Seoul. Busan I believe is 4+ mill and is a top 5 port and ships producing area in the world. I also believe Ulsan has a larger average income then Seoul. Incheon, Daegu, Kwangju are all 2+ Mill metros and they are relocating alot of government agencies to Sejong.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:19 PM

19,443 posts, read 21,145,394 times
Quote:
Here is it.
The WARZONE.

This area is in better state than it was in 1982.
Horrifying.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 AM

1,173 posts, read 680,770 times
Quote:
Better than what classification? The Big Four or the Big Seven?
That post isn't explained very clearly.

The Big Seven has a very specific definition. Cities must meet specific inclusion criteria, both positive (blue) and negative (purple):

• Cross-border investments that meet certain targets in market depth and liquidity.
• Soft power: Global attractiveness in international trade, conventions, academia and tourism.
• Intellectual capital: High desirability among working professionals.

• Growth management challenges and affordability issues.
• High sensitivity to geopolitical events and geopolitical uncertainties.

The criteria reduce to semantics in that the limits are ultimately arbitrary, but they set a certain archetype (hence typology) of international cities upon which you can establish clear boundaries and draw quantitative comparisons.

New York-London-Paris-Tokyo isn't a taxonomic classification like the Big Seven, as someone pointed out earlier. It's just a ranking of popular cities ranked according to brand image (London, New York, Paris), with Tokyo also present by dint of its economic might.

The problem is that it's based on an anachronism: The way we thought of global cities circa late 20th century when you could trace a gradualism of global importance from New York to London to Paris and Tokyo, with all other cities trailing far behind them.

Things are a bit different today: London has now risen to the top alongside New York, Paris and Tokyo have stagnated to some degree, cross-border investments and the financial system have become a lot more substantive and liquid, Asia is rising.

Because it's basically a toplist, there are no typological criteria to set clear boundaries, so nothing is preventing people from arguing that Hong Kong, Singapore (and now Seoul) should be included among them.

Based on industry sentiment (how cities are compared or mentioned together by certain professional groups and specialties), it's better to look at global cities as several separate functional groups instead of a single dominant group:

Global supercities: London, New York - All round performers in most categories.
Cultural powerhouses: Paris, London, Rome, New York - Based on brand image, tourism etc.
Financial hubs: London, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore - Based on liquidity, FDIs/DDIs, transparency, legal frameworks etc.
Centers of academic excellence: London, Boston-Cambridge, Los Angeles, New York, Paris. ... And so on.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:56 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,014,010 times
Your classement completely hid the economic power of Paris. Paris is not just a cultural city, it's a major economic hub above all.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 680,770 times
Quote:
Your classement completely hid the economic power of Paris. Paris is not just a cultural city, it's a major economic hub above all.
Are you missing AmaroW as well?

What you say is true, but the list above is not meant to be comprehensive (it ends in an ellipsis).

You can add another category for economic power if you want. A problem about economic power, though, is that that often gets into arguments about how municipal boundaries are defined.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:16 AM

3,792 posts, read 3,113,645 times
These rankings are like comparing a mans personal part. Some care and some do not. The hustle and bustle of these cities generally breeds great arrogance, superficially, and tremendous unnecessary pressure. Give me a smaller cities with a great quality of life any day.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 02-10-2018 at 12:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or