U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 04:00 AM

8,257 posts, read 2,774,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
if thats the case why don't all three become republics?

The UK lost the place as the largest trading partner with all these countries years ago and with that in mind, its a wonder all 3 are so tolerant of the UK and still are under the British monarchy (albeit constitutional) and don't formally sever ties completely,

I am an Aussie who would love to get rid of all British aspects of this country, what about you???
It's up to Australia and Australians, nobody in Britain is stopping you from becoming a republic.

We don't run Australia and are main links are cultural, sporting and trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 12:52 PM

5,862 posts, read 5,695,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
queen elizabeth II is a very impressive head of state but canada becoming a republic = " repulsive "

Precisely. Without your cryptic sarcasm.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:05 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,352,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
if thats the case why don't all three become republics?

The UK lost the place as the largest trading partner with all these countries years ago and with that in mind, its a wonder all 3 are so tolerant of the UK and still are under the British monarchy (albeit constitutional) and don't formally sever ties completely,

I am an Aussie who would love to get rid of all British aspects of this country, what about you???
Has it? This is one of those threads with a subjective supposed (by the OP) notion in the title.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 1,213,918 times
I don't think the UK has lost interest, it's just not our place to state how each country should move forward. In my experience these countries are split on valuing their heritage and completely rejecting it. In most polls/votes the former are the majority, just.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 AM

7,133 posts, read 5,934,647 times
In the 21st Century Canada, Australia and Britain are most definitely their 'own' countries, the Royal family has no say on how ANY of the 3 are run, whatever 'ties' remain are simply cultural and friendly, I for one am glad that the Anglo nations still have a kind of extended family feel, the mutual language and popular culture means that the countries have 'ties' that are not political but more akin to 'friendship' and I for one fail to see any 'problems' with that. Personally I love Australian and Canadian TV, Music, Comedians, Films and everything else that we get by being part of the family, I love the fact that we hold 'Commonwealth games' and share common values.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 AM

8,257 posts, read 2,774,048 times
If anything the UK is going to establish new trading pacts and closer links with these countries following Brexit.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:36 PM

22,197 posts, read 22,189,994 times
Lol, what? People won't shut up about the Commonwealth. If anything it's the likes of Australia and Canada that lost interest in us.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Lol, what? People won't shut up about the Commonwealth. If anything it's the likes of Australia and Canada that lost interest in us.
Not true, as every day the media has something to say about the Royal family. even silly stuff on what a certain member of a royal family is wearing and it can become major news and British sitcoms are very popular such as Father Ted, Blackadder, Absolutely Fabulous, Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar Of Dibley, Red Dwarf, Dr Who, Mr Bean. Also old school reruns are on here all the time such as Are You Being Served? and Fawlty Towers.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM

1,984 posts, read 692,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In the 21st Century Canada, Australia and Britain are most definitely their 'own' countries, the Royal family has no say on how ANY of the 3 are run, whatever 'ties' remain are simply cultural and friendly, I for one am glad that the Anglo nations still have a kind of extended family feel, the mutual language and popular culture means that the countries have 'ties' that are not political but more akin to 'friendship' and I for one fail to see any 'problems' with that. Personally I love Australian and Canadian TV, Music, Comedians, Films and everything else that we get by being part of the family, I love the fact that we hold 'Commonwealth games' and share common values.
You left the Kiwis out.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,342,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I agree with this as I agree with other Canadian posters in here that our democracy with the Queen as HOS works very well for us as I am sure it largely does in Britain and Australia. I do wish we would cement those common values down a bit more by making it easier for citizens of each country to work and live in the other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or