Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Britain's membership of the EU has made this impossible, perhaps after Brexit? Who knows.
I'd be totally game for it including New Zealand. All 4 countries are highly developed so it would work out very well actually. I think it would be an economic boost because people could work to their potential in the country of best fit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 07:19 PM

468 posts, read 612,176 times
It's more like Australia, NZ and Canada have lost interest in the monarchy. There have been proposals for Australia to be become a republic since at least the 1980s, perhaps earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The UK lost it's place as the dominant trading partner due to the logistics of the 21st century. Britain is no longer the dominant power in the world, although it remains a respectable force.
Also, this ^

But OP, what is behind your interest in Australia shedding all "British aspects"? How would this argument, if it became a reality, help Australia? A lot of it would be just symbolic or law-based, because Australia's statutory independence from the UK began in 1931 with the Statue of Westminster and the severing of legal ties to the UK in the Australian justice system was enacted in 1986 with the Australia Act (though it retained the involvement of the Crown in Australia's constitution). The much deeper, more enmeshed ties to the UK are cultural or roots based, thus they are endemic to our society and our people. These are going to be much harder to shake, even if we do become a republic.

Last edited by shirleyeve; 02-09-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 07:29 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,960,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
It's more like Australia, NZ and Canada have lost interest in the monarchy. There have been proposals for Australia to be become a republic since at least the 1980s, perhaps earlier.
Well Australia did have a referendum on this topic over a decade ago, yet it meant that if Australia would be a republic then, then the head of state will be unelected and it was even off putting for many Republicans.

The current head of state of Australia was once leader of the Republican movement, yet he has no plans during his government to change it, yet he has indicated it be up for discussion when the current Queen passes on. The current Opposition leader wants a referendum and plans to do it when he is elected, however there is no indication there is high level support for this to change it and according to polls most Australians don't like to see the Republican agenda pushed in the meantime, despite some politicians calling for it.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:34 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,457,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I would add the US to the list. Then we can have a full party.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,234,317 times
I feel like half the populations of the UK and Canada would head to Australia in the first month.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:59 AM

2,213 posts, read 1,446,104 times
And half of our population would head to the UK, as they have for generations. If we are lucky they come back. My daughter worked in the US, Canada and the UK but came back for the need of family. Loved the UK. We do too, actually.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,960,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I feel like half the populations of the UK and Canada would head to Australia in the first month.
Well I not sure about Canadian immigrants, but a large proportion of people from the UK that move to Australia move back to the UK.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:45 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
As an American, I find monarchies repugnant and I can't understand how so-called progressive peoples would allow themselves to become the subjects of a hereditary sovereign. Monarchy is the antithesis of meritocracy, of equal opportunity before the law, of allegiance to nation and not a person and to the ideal that what matters in the world is what you do and not the family you're born into.

Hopefully once Queen Elizabeth II dies, the Commonwealth Realm can wake up and stop obsessing over a family of inbred royals and the lascivious, obscene and undeserved wealth. Thank goodness for the American Revolution and the French Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The Queen as HOS in Canada has a limited ceremonial role. The only time she would get involved politically is if things really went down the toilet politically and even then it would be the Governor General performing those tasks in practice. The GG in Canada and Australia are Canadian and Australian citizens. These are stable democracies. Canada and Australia are consistently ranked highly on practically every QOL, SOL, Freedoms lists you can muster so I think our democracies are doing just fine. As one who lives in the land of Trump as you do and what is it now, the second government shutdown in less than a month - I'll take the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince George as HOS over that orange buffoon any day.
I was about to say. As Americans, we have absolutely no business criticizing ANY other modern country who's democracy actually works well and takes good care of its people. Monarchies only seem repugnant because we've been fed that crap since the cradle and American sheeple rarely question what their told.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:49 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This applies to the US, as well.

As an American, I am indifferent to the monarchy. Also, you seem to not understand the role of the modern monarchy of the UK. One could argue that they are a money sink (though there is an argument that they bring in money, as well) and they certainly have no bearing on meritocracy or opportunity for the average UK citizen.

Do the members of the royal family enjoy advantages due to their inheritance ? Yes. But unlike America, they cannot parley that into becoming head of state.
Exactly. Excellent reply and yes, the Royal family is and has always been constantly in American media. Americans mourned the death of Princess Diana as much as the commonwealth did.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I was about to say. As Americans, we have absolutely no business criticizing ANY other modern country who's democracy actually works well and takes good care of its people. Monarchies only seem repugnant because we've been fed that crap since the cradle and American sheeple rarely question what their told.
Well a certain poster who's handle starts with a M always has a flair for the dramatic... I don't lump the American people into one bucket and never will so no worries

As for the Monarchy and more specifically the Sovereign in their role as HOS of various Commonwealth realms, I think the Queen has done so much to actually strengthen the role. I am actually quite fond of her. Despite what people say of Prince Charles, I think he'll be a wonderful HOS as well. My partner actually met him and as expected, extremely gracious and very inquisitive. I consider this a part of our heritage and the monarchy especially under QE II has done a remarkable job. Now she is like the wise old Grandmother and in world affairs, she has been a constant, consistent steady hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World