Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,629,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I feel like half the populations of the UK and Canada would head to Australia in the first month.
I would actually be interested in seeing if there was a survey done in each of the 4 countries to find out what percentage of the population would actually move if the borders were opened with some restrictions in each of these countries. I suspect that the percentage who actually follow through with moves will be quite a bit lower than people expect due to family ties. For me personally, I don't have very strong family ties so would not really apply to me. I suspect I am in the minority though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:27 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,763,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I would actually be interested in seeing if there was a survey done in each of the 4 countries to find out what percentage of the population would actually move if the borders were opened with some restrictions in each of these countries. I suspect that the percentage who actually follow through with moves will be quite a bit lower than people expect due to family ties. For me personally, I don't have very strong family ties so would not really apply to me. I suspect I am in the minority though.
Sure but it is still good for the minority of people who would follow through and would benefit all the countries. I was looking at tourist visitation numbers in Toronto for last year and UK is the 3rd largest market after the U.S and China and Australia is like 9th or 10th. I'm pretty sure Canadian visitation to UK and Australia is high as well so you'd definitely get a strong interest.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
A lot of people would definitely move to Australia if we had open borders with them, but it's true that lot (around a third) of British expats in Australia eventually return home. I think it just depends on your priorities - earnings are higher in Aus, but people miss home comforts and family. A surprising number of people even miss the weather! Plus you're close to the continent which makes travelling easier - I feel fortunate to be so close to so many interesting countries.

I've never been to Australia, and to be honest I have no great desire to do so. It's a bit too far away, and I hate flying at the best of times (I prefer the Eurostar when going to the continent).

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 02-10-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 02:06 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I would add the US to the list. Then we can have a full party.
...that would be a no from me.

The big issue would be a coordinated foreign policy, which is part of the mission statement of CANZUK.

Also the US is just to big compared to the other countries. We would be in constant conflict with what is in the US's interests, and what is in ours.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:18 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,417,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
A lot of people would definitely move to Australia if we had open borders with them, but it's true that lot (around a third) of British expats in Australia eventually return home. I think it just depends on your priorities - earnings are higher in Aus, but people miss home comforts and family. A surprising number of people even miss the weather! Plus you're close to the continent which makes travelling easier - I feel fortunate to be so close to so many interesting countries.

I've never been to Australia, and to be honest I have no great desire to do so. It's a bit too far away, and I hate flying at the best of times (I prefer the Eurostar when going to the continent).
I haven't visited Australia yet either, and I'd love to. That said, I'm not sure I would want to live their full time.
If had to choose one place out of the four to move to it would be the UK. The history, the culture and as you said, the closeness to the continent, makes it very attractive to me.

Weather...I live in British weather now, and love it.

It's a bit of a dilemma though. I think after a few years, I'd move back to Vancouver. Just love the place too much to leave forever.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,629,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sure but it is still good for the minority of people who would follow through and would benefit all the countries. I was looking at tourist visitation numbers in Toronto for last year and UK is the 3rd largest market after the U.S and China and Australia is like 9th or 10th. I'm pretty sure Canadian visitation to UK and Australia is high as well so you'd definitely get a strong interest.
For sure there will be some interest. I am also wondering if having Australia and NZ with more or less open borders would siphon off some of the snowbirds that go to the sun belt states in the US every winter or if it would not have much of an effect due to the much further distance required to travel. Another survey topic perhaps....

Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,457,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...that would be a no from me.

The big issue would be a coordinated foreign policy, which is part of the mission statement of CANZUK.

Also the US is just to big compared to the other countries. We would be in constant conflict with what is in the US's interests, and what is in ours.
That kind of applies to the UK as well then. The UK is just as big as the other three economically and militarily (a nuclear power).

Canada and Australia may be much larger by surface area, but we both know that the UK is going to be the powerhouse in CANZUK.

What I want to see is a union between all Anglo countries, regardless of whether they're in the Commonwealth or not.

We could rename it CAUSNZUK.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For sure there will be some interest. I am also wondering if having Australia and NZ with more or less open borders would siphon off some of the snowbirds that go to the sun belt states in the US every winter or if it would not have much of an effect due to the much further distance required to travel. Another survey topic perhaps....
I don't think it would really attract snowbirds as much as younger people seeking work or a different way of life, change of scenery. You may get a small number who would want to set up shop permanently though to get away from Canadian winters.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
That kind of applies to the UK as well then. The UK is just as big as the other three economically and militarily (a nuclear power).

Canada and Australia may be much larger by surface area, but we both know that the UK is going to be the powerhouse in CANZUK.

What I want to see is a union between all Anglo countries, regardless of whether they're in the Commonwealth or not.

Sure the UK is the larger economy and military power but I don't really see how that would extraordinarily impact the overall relationship and the imbalance isn't nearly as great as with the U.S. The U.S economy is 90X the size of NZ, 15X the size of Australia, 12X the size of Canada and 7.5 times the size of the UK. That to me is a real imbalance. These 4 countries have similar values and I see the UK as a pretty stable and consistent military power. GDP per capita among the 4 is strong and fairly even handed so I'm not really seeing how the UK being the 'powerhouse' would impact anything tbh. Per cap GDP of the UK is actually less than Australia and Canada. Australia and Canada have combined GDP greater than the UK at 2.7 Trillion USD to 2.5 Trillion with less people so i'm not seeing the imbalance the way you are.

It isn't just size of the economy either, Australia and Canada are incredibly resource rich so I think that would be a good counterbalance to the UK being really not that significantly a larger economy.

New Zealand may feel a totally outgunned simply because it is quite a bit smaller in GDP and population than the 'big' 3 but again, 4 countries with pretty similar values and systems. It would be great.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-10-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 05:06 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,494,577 times
Quote:

Personally, I think the UK would be better off primarily focusing on its near neighbours, since we have the closest economic ties to them, and it makes sense from a geographic point of view.. but I suppose that's not going to happen, however ridiculous I think it is.

I wouldn't want to be in a union with the United States - and to be honest I don't think most people here would. We view Canada, New Zealand and Australia much more favourably than the US. I don't trust that country either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World