Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:24 PM

134 posts, read 191,804 times

Advertisements

if thats the case why don't all three become republics?

The UK lost the place as the largest trading partner with all these countries years ago and with that in mind, its a wonder all 3 are so tolerant of the UK and still are under the British monarchy (albeit constitutional) and don't formally sever ties completely,

I am an Aussie who would love to get rid of all British aspects of this country, what about you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post

The UK lost the place as the largest trading partner with all these countries years ago and with that in mind, its a wonder all 3 are so tolerant of the UK and still are under the British monarchy (albeit constitutional) and don't formally sever ties completely,

I am an Aussie who would love to get rid of all British aspects of this country, what about you???
I don't feel that the UK has lost interest in Canada. And I don't know about all the other 15 countries that QE is monarch of but Canada is not a British monarchy nor under a British monarchy. Canada is a Canadian monarchy with a Canadian monarch (presently Queen Elizabeth II) who resides in England and who by Canadian law is a Canadian. The monarch's legal identity as Sovereign is "Canada" as she is the personification of the state Canada. Her role as monarch of Canada is entirely separate from her 15 roles as monarch of all other 15 countries that she's monarch of.

I like our Canadian monarchy and our Canadian Queen and her Royal Family and I like the way our Canadian government works so well without any interference from our monarch.

The idea of Canada becoming a republic is repulsive to me.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:53 PM

481 posts, read 422,227 times
Aw come on, no need to be so harsh on dad. Maybe they just want to cheer the UK up and say they're under the crown.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:

The UK lost it's place as the dominant trading partner due to the logistics of the 21st century. Britain is no longer the dominant power in the world, although it remains a respectable force.

Just to be on the same page, when you say you want to "sever ties completely" and "get rid of all British aspects" what exactly do you mean?

1. Are you content with replacing the parliamentary monarchy with a federal republic? or

2. Do you want to completely cut ties off with Britain? As in no diplomatic relation (something like the US and Iran or Israel and a number of Muslim countries)

Old 02-01-2018, 02:03 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:

If it was true, how come the vote to change the New Zealand flag resulted in a majority to retain the flag?

For most Australians and Canadians, becoming a republic is not on the list of major priorities now. Actually the people are far more angry at fellow politicians than the Queen.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
If it was true, how come the vote to change the New Zealand flag resulted in a majority to retain the flag?

For most Australians and Canadians, becoming a republic is not on the list of major priorities now. Actually the people are far more angry at fellow politicians than the Queen.
Makes sense, given that the Queen holds no real power in this day and age.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:36 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
I think one issue is that people distrust politicians and do not want a politician as head of state nor anyone appointed by a politician.
I was a staunch republican when I was young. Now I could not really care one way or another. London is my favourite city in the world outside Australia and I do not have negative feelings towards the UK. I am descended from three convicts and like me, many Aussies still have British heritage.
Some people believe that changing either the flag or becoming a republic would simply be a waste of a lot of money.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
I don't believe the UK lost interest in Canada at all. What happened was over time Canada asserted a methodical separation until it was independent. Keeping the monarchy was not just about keeping a monarch, but about keeping the system of government.

No government is perfect, as is no system, but our parliamentary system seems to work well for Canada, overall. I haven't heard much talk here about us becoming a republic.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't feel that the UK has lost interest in Canada. And I don't know about all the other 15 countries that QE is monarch of but Canada is not a British monarchy nor under a British monarchy. Canada is a Canadian monarchy with a Canadian monarch (presently Queen Elizabeth II) who resides in England and who by Canadian law is a Canadian. The monarch's legal identity as Sovereign is "Canada" as she is the personification of the state Canada. Her role as monarch of Canada is entirely separate from her 15 roles as monarch of all other 15 countries that she's monarch of.

I like our Canadian monarchy and our Canadian Queen and her Royal Family and I like the way our Canadian government works so well without any interference from our monarch.

The idea of Canada becoming a republic is repulsive to me.

queen elizabeth II is a very impressive head of state but canada becoming a republic = " repulsive "

Old 02-03-2018, 03:52 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

well new zealand has always been culturally more british than either australia or canada , in the case of canada , its biggest influence by far culturally is the neighbouring usa , with regards australia , apart from having had immigration from places other than the uk or ireland for far longer than new zealand , australia has always had a very large irish mix in its population , until relatively recently , not that many irish went to new zealand by comparison bar protestant irish who were of course pro monarchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World