Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,758,789 times

Advertisements

As an American, I find monarchies repugnant and I can't understand how so-called progressive peoples would allow themselves to become the subjects of a hereditary sovereign. Monarchy is the antithesis of meritocracy, of equal opportunity before the law, of allegiance to nation and not a person and to the ideal that what matters in the world is what you do and not the family you're born into.

Hopefully once Queen Elizabeth II dies, the Commonwealth Realm can wake up and stop obsessing over a family of inbred royals and the lascivious, obscene and undeserved wealth. Thank goodness for the American Revolution and the French Revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,727,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
As an American, I find monarchies repugnant and I can't understand how so-called progressive peoples would allow themselves to become the subjects of a hereditary sovereign. Monarchy is the antithesis of meritocracy, of equal opportunity before the law, of allegiance to nation and not a person and to the ideal that what matters in the world is what you do and not the family you're born into.

Hopefully once Queen Elizabeth II dies, the Commonwealth Realm can wake up and stop obsessing over a family of inbred royals and the lascivious, obscene and undeserved wealth.
The Queen as HOS in Canada has a limited ceremonial role. The only time she would get involved politically is if things really went down the toilet politically and even then it would be the Governor General performing those tasks in practice. The GG in Canada and Australia are Canadian and Australian citizens. These are stable democracies. Canada and Australia are consistently ranked highly on practically every QOL, SOL, Freedoms lists you can muster so I think our democracies are doing just fine. As one who lives in the land of Trump as you do and what is it now, the second government shutdown in less than a month - I'll take the Queen, Prince Charles, Prince William, Prince George as HOS over that orange buffoon any day.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 AM

14,810 posts, read 11,895,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You left the Kiwis out.
Not because I don't 'count' them as being part of the Commonwealth family because I do, and before anybody says it yes others too!

Old 02-09-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:

Hopefully once Queen Elizabeth II dies, the Commonwealth Realm can wake up and stop obsessing over a family of inbred royals and the lascivious, obscene and undeserved wealth. Thank goodness for the American Revolution and the French Revolution.
Sounds like you are a little 'jealous' to me! We love our queen, she is like a grandmother to us all and its really not up to you whether we want her or not, its not your business.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree with this as I agree with other Canadian posters in here that our democracy with the Queen as HOS works very well for us as I am sure it largely does in Britain and Australia. I do wish we would cement those common values down a bit more by making it easier for citizens of each country to work and live in the other countries.
Britain's membership of the EU has made this impossible, perhaps after Brexit? Who knows.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:41 PM

18,489 posts, read 15,363,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Lol, what? People won't shut up about the Commonwealth. If anything it's the likes of Australia and Canada that lost interest in us.
Not sure about that. Can't speak for all of Canada, but the people I know still have ties with the UK. Many travel there yearly. Your news makes our news etc. I buy UK products all the time.

Personally I am planning another long overdue visit within the next year or two, since I have such fond memories of previous visits.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Obsessing? No. I think there are just as many people in the US that follow royal happenings etc. Just look at the covers of your magazines. For us, they are just there.

Certainly there are people in the Commonwealth who no longer want a monarchy, but the seem to be in the minority. As Fusion2 points out, the system seems to work very, very well. We don't feel we are subjected to anything by a hereditary sovereign, even though the term " subjects " may still be used, because we aren't.
We rate high on freedom and equality. Peace, Order and Good Government is our motto in Canada.

That said, the monarchy could use a good cleaning up and streamlining and bring it more in line with monarchies like in The Netherlands.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Britain's membership of the EU has made this impossible, perhaps after Brexit? Who knows.
There seems to be an appetite for this. I for one, think it would be great. Then deneb78 could retire to Australia!!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,191,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Not true, as every day the media has something to say about the Royal family. even silly stuff on what a certain member of a royal family is wearing and it can become major news and British sitcoms are very popular such as Father Ted, Blackadder, Absolutely Fabulous, Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar Of Dibley, Red Dwarf, Dr Who, Mr Bean. Also old school reruns are on here all the time such as Are You Being Served? and Fawlty Towers.
This applies to the US, as well.

Quote:
As an American, I am indifferent to the monarchy. Also, you seem to not understand the role of the modern monarchy of the UK. One could argue that they are a money sink (though there is an argument that they bring in money, as well) and they certainly have no bearing on meritocracy or opportunity for the average UK citizen.

Do the members of the royal family enjoy advantages due to their inheritance ? Yes. But unlike America, they cannot parley that into becoming head of state.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,601,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There seems to be an appetite for this. I for one, think it would be great. Then deneb78 could retire to Australia!!
Absolutely! I am following this with baited breath and see where it goes

CANZUK International – Promoting Closer Ties Between Canada, Australia, New Zealand & The United Kingdom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World