U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 AM

11,111 posts, read 7,666,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I hate to admit it, but as an American, I'm much more fearful of police in my home country, than of police in any of the other countries that I have visited. I suppose that the fact that courts here rarely prosecute police, even when caught on camera committing murder, plays a large role in this.
I'm a little on edge when in the US myself. It's the only place where I got pulled over and the cop had his hand over his gun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 PM

4,447 posts, read 3,099,052 times
I've never had any problems with the Police in the USA. When they have had occasion to speak to me(speeding, stop sign) I answered every question with Yes Sir, No Sir, or how high do you want me to jump. I don't talk back, resist or do anything stupid. If you do talk back, resist or do something stupid, you are going to lose. But my Daddy gave me the "talk" when I was a kid.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:04 PM

4,447 posts, read 3,099,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm a little on edge when in the US myself. It's the only place where I got pulled over and the cop had his hand over his gun!
And if you were a member of law enforcement in the USA, you would do the same.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:36 PM

16,438 posts, read 9,298,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not to mention getting drawn down upon and shouted at because you went looking in the glove box for your registration and insurance while the cop was still approaching your car. All that "hands on the wheel where I can see them" stuff makes me cringe. All these years and I still cannot get used to that feature of American routine traffic stops.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:37 PM

16,438 posts, read 9,298,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
And if you were a member of law enforcement in the USA, you would do the same.
Oh, it's perfectly understandable and a pity it's necessary due to stupidity.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 AM

6,772 posts, read 3,042,638 times
they only hit people who don't pay the train fare

Old 02-04-2018, 07:34 AM

6,646 posts, read 7,391,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Police Brutality in England & Wales is dealt with by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) formerly known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). The police do not investigate themselves in relation to serious allegations of any kind.

Independent Office for Police Conduct

In Scotland it's the Police Investigations & Review Commissioner (PIRC).

Police Investigations & Review Commissioner (PIRC)

Whilst in Northern Ireland it is the Police Ombudsman and in Southern Ireland the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission.

Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland

Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission

the police here loathe the ombudsman and have an unofficial policy of never co operating with them about anything

Old 02-04-2018, 07:40 AM

6,646 posts, read 7,391,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the United States, the police are held in high regard by conservatives (Republicans) and regarded suspiciously by liberals (Democrats).

It is highly partisan.
these things are only black and white to simple minded people , its the same with banal idiots who think if you are polite to cops on every occasion, you have nothing to fear , its a very foolish philosophy , if a police officer wants to nail you on something , they will find a way , they may be doing so due to you having upset someone who has connections to the force

they attempted to stitch up a serving far left politician on a drink n drive rap four years ago , the elected politician used parlimentary priveledge to speak about corruption , they tailed her home that evening and she spent the night in the cells on a trumped up over the limit charge , she turned out to be under the limit and had a small whisky for a cold but the story is on the record and as they say " mud sticks "

Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 AM

15,512 posts, read 18,006,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not to mention getting drawn down upon and shouted at because you went looking in the glove box for your registration and insurance while the cop was still approaching your car. All that "hands on the wheel where I can see them" stuff makes me cringe. All these years and I still cannot get used to that feature of American routine traffic stops.
I don’t know where you’ve seen this, but it is certainly not typical. The only times I’ve been stopped by cops was when I did something wrong like going over the speed limit.

Criminals are the only people that need to actually fear the police (as they should). If you don’t want the police to bother you, then don’t break the law. It’s that simple.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:19 AM

401 posts, read 155,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t know where you’ve seen this, but it is certainly not typical. The only times I’ve been stopped by cops was when I did something wrong like going over the speed limit.

Criminals are the only people that need to actually fear the police (as they should). If you don’t want the police to bother you, then don’t break the law. It’s that simple.
Anyone who is above the law is very dangerous. You know, power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely and all. My impression is that the police in US is very much above the law.

I wouldn’t consider Turkey to be a democracy currently but even in Turkey I haven’t heard a single time when the police have killed an unarmed person and avoided to go to prison for it in the last 15 years.

Last edited by Selen; 02-04-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World