U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 AM

15,499 posts, read 17,993,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
Anyone who is above the law is very dangerous. You know, power corrupting and absolute power corrupting absolutely and all. My impression is that the police in US is very much above the law.

I wouldn’t consider Turkey to be a democracy currently but even in Turkey I haven’t heard a single time when the police have killed an unarmed person and avoided to go to prison for it in the last 15 years.
There are some abusive cops out there. But by and large, that is not the case.

Like I said, there are 1,300 homicides every month in the U.S. that are committed by civilians. That's 43 homicides every single day that have nothing to do with the police. Most of the time, police shootings occur when police are trying to go after criminals. Homicides committed by the police are less than 4% of the total homicides committed in the U.S.

That tells you there is a significant underclass of criminals in the U.S. It is they who think they are above the law, until they get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:00 PM

8,128 posts, read 2,726,453 times
The big game changer in terms of police has been people filming on their phones and posting videos on youtube.

Whilst the police themselves in many countries such as the UK now have part of their uniforms Body Worn Video (BWV) whilst police stations have CCTV and all interviews are taped and are subject to strict rules.

MPS-BWV-HOME - Met Police

Cameras are also fitted to police vehicles, and all police vehicles now have a black box to show at what speed they were driven and other such details.

Furthermore cities, towns, shops and transport hubs all have CCTV, so evidence is much more easily gathered and it has become more difficult for the police to deny things or for members of the public to make false accusations regarding the police.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-04-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 03:02 PM

6,642 posts, read 7,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I donít know where youíve seen this, but it is certainly not typical. The only times Iíve been stopped by cops was when I did something wrong like going over the speed limit.

Criminals are the only people that need to actually fear the police (as they should). If you donít want the police to bother you, then donít break the law. Itís that simple.
its only " that simple " for simple minded people

claiming that only criminals need fear the police is at best smug and at worst stupid !

Old 02-04-2018, 03:31 PM

5,018 posts, read 5,452,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If you're going to respond to questions about "your country", please identify it.
Norway.

Police brutality was a huge problem in Bergen 30-40 years ago, with around one incident per day in some years.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its only " that simple " for simple minded people

claiming that only criminals need fear the police is at best smug and at worst stupid !
Police officers put their lives on the line to protect the public from criminals. It is a dangerous job and many police die in the line of duty.

A lot of posters come on these forums to tell us how bad the violent crime situation is in the U.S. compared to other 1st world countries. So, what do you think would happen if the police weren't going after these criminals?

You can't have it both ways.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Police officers put their lives on the line to protect the public from criminals. It is a dangerous job and many police die in the line of duty.

A lot of posters come on these forums to tell us how bad the violent crime situation is in the U.S. compared to other 1st world countries. So, what do you think would happen if the police weren't going after these criminals?

The Police are not above the law and are merely civilians given some extra powers which they must use corretly, whilst being polite and civil in theirl dealing with the general public.

The use of physical force should not be disproportionate, should be the minimum level of force required and should be a last resort after all else has failed.

The thread is about police brutality which is never acceptable, and in such circumstances it must be handled properly and taken seriously, with a proper independent agency carrying out any investigation in to police behaviour rather than the police themselves.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Police are not above the law and are merely civilians given some extra powers which they must use corretly, whilst being polite and civil in theirl dealing with the general public.

The use of physical force should not be disproportionate, should be the minimum level of force required and should be a last resort after all else has failed.

The thread is about police brutality which is never acceptable, and in such circumstances it must be handled properly and taken seriously, with a proper independent agency carrying out any investigation in to police behaviour rather than the police themselves.
There is nothing I disagree with what about what you stated. All of what you're saying sounds good "in theory."

But you and I know that the reality would be very different if the U.K. and other European countries had a violent crime rate similar to what exists in the United States. You would want the police to make sure that the criminal element that commits these awful crimes stays out of your neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
There is nothing I disagree with what about what you stated. All of what you're saying sounds good "in theory."

But you and I know that the reality would be very different if the U.K. and other European countries had a violent crime rate similar to what exists in the United States. You would want the police to make sure that the criminal element that commits these awful crimes stays out of your neighborhood.
I would also want to be safe in the knowledge that the police had proper oversight and couldn't abuse their powers, as corrupt or violent police are as bad as violent criminals.

I appreciate the need to stop violent criminals but it should be carried out in a lawful manner, and the police should be able to fully justify their actions in relation to any independent investigation.

Police brutality can never be justified, whilst the taking of a life by the state is so serious and must be subject to proper independent ivestigation.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-05-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM

6,642 posts, read 7,386,492 times
Quote:

my post was in reply to your cliched line about how " only criminals need fear police "

not about the violent crime problems in any specific country !

that to me is a universal lesson

Old 02-07-2018, 02:57 AM

110 posts, read 88,145 times
I think here in the US, police brutality is getting a bright light shown on it. I'm not going to blanket every incident like they all share the same circumstances, most times the criminal is in the wrong, but there are countless times where the cop prematurely misjudges the situation and rarely, unjustifiably kill the "perp". Unfortunately, just like every other occupation, there are bad apples and far too often, they're protected by the shield. That's slowly changing though since this issue is in the spotlight so I have high hopes. Personally, I get looks a lot of the times when I'm wearing a baseball cap or hoodie. I just fully cooperate with the officer and they usually realize I'm a nice guy with no priors. Although I did have an incident where I napped in my car at a park only to wake up to lights flashing in my eyes. Those cops were overly aggressive with their weapons drawn and didn't believe a word I said when I told them I was just taking a nap to wait for traffic to die down. They searched my car for 10 minutes as I sat on the curb shocked by how belittled I felt. It took them another 10 mintues to run my name and they would've taken longer if I didn't hand the younger officer my work ID and computer bag. I was so aggravated I asked for the commanding Officers badge number and reported him. I saw him a few weeks later while walking my dog and he looked at me and then straight ahead, shame on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World