U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 AM

1,153 posts, read 657,864 times

Advertisements

Should we still think as much in terms of a Big Four of Global Cities: London, New York, Paris, Tokyo?
Or Is the concept not as relevant today as it used to be? Could it even be seen as outmoded?

Are London and New York diverging from the rest of group in terms of global power and influence? As the global economy develops, should we consider ascendant Asian cities, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, Shanghai et al., among them?

For metrics, we can refer to some of the usual set of widely-cited global city indexes:

1. Intellectual capital.
2. Financial power.
3. Cultural capital and influence.
4. Brand image.
5. Global connectivity.
6. Quality of living and infrastructure.
7. Cross-border investment and DDIs.

This is an offshoot from another thread in which people were disputing the relevance of a "Big Seven" of Global Cities.

I don't think that was really appropriate for the subject, given that the latter is a ranking skewed heavily towards commercial real estate. However, I thought the general topic could make for an interesting discussion in its own thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 09:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 428,165 times
Not really relevant.

Tokyo is a great mega city, but really, its influence outside Japan isn't larger than Los Angeles.

Hong Kong is an important financial hub, whereas Paris isn't even close.

London and New York are the only two global cities without any dispute.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 AM

528 posts, read 202,595 times
I don't even think in terms of 'Big X'. Am I missing something?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I don't even think in terms of 'Big X'. Am I missing something?
A lot of it is related to brand image, so it really depends on the person.

Some find this useful to make lifestyle or financial decisions. Others see them as pointless or arbitrary semantical distinctions. It probably has some merit as an idea, the same way brand marketing works in general commerce.

Quote:
How the global public views a country strongly influences the success of its business, investment, and tourism efforts – as well as its diplomatic and cultural relations with other nations – and inattention to public perception risks diminished international “market share” for countries. - Anholt-GFK Nations Brand Index

Last edited by Hightower72; 02-05-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM

522 posts, read 439,387 times
^ silly perhaps. But it can be extremely effective in some cases. For example, whoever it is who coined the term “big four” for the top accounting firms definitely helped to moonshot the image of these firms... Probably more so than is warranted given the amount of hushed reverence that is ascribed to them

What kind of business wouldn’t want to have that kind of platinum standard to their name?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 785,835 times
I do Big 5, and add Hong Kong.

Then there's the Big Four Politicals too: Beijing (China), Brussels (EU), Moscow (Russia), and Washington (USA)

Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Not really relevant.

Tokyo is a great mega city, but really, its influence outside Japan isn't larger than Los Angeles.

Hong Kong is an important financial hub, whereas Paris isn't even close.

London and New York are the only two global cities without any dispute.
I think it's clear some are disappointed that Paris hasn't seen the growth we hoped for a decade or two ago.

At least it's moving in the right direction now with the MGP. Well, kind of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
whoever it is who coined the term “big four” for the top accounting firms
I think the Big Four in the accountancy market is an organic toplist that stems from industry consensus or sentiment.

For comparison, the global city taxonomy in the Jones Lang Lasalle study is ad hoc marketing by a single thinktank. The "top 4" group of New York-Tokyo-Paris-London in this thread is probably just indigenous to these forums.

The question, though, is whether such a brand identity is warranted at all. Or whether it's too stringent or permissive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or