U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 321,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, that's you.
People who I WANT to see have my phone number. My house isn't an "open house".
Make Houses Open Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:48 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,483,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In your part of the world, how do visitors arriving at your house announce themselves? America has door-bells, and absent a bell, by knocking on the door with knuckles.

Here is central Philippines (Visayas), they stand outside the gate and call out "I-O". Small children, more respectful, call "Mom", which is the Philippine pronunciation of "Ma'am".

As I recall, in Africa, they clap their hands once or twice, but I'm not sure how widespread that is.
In Brazil, like in USA, most houses have door-bells. As an alternative, visitors anounce themselves by clapping the hands.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

5,700 posts, read 1,861,391 times
There'a good history of the door knocker in the article below, apparently it goes all the way back to Greece when the Spartans didn't like unannouced guets or to be interrupted.

Knock Knock: A Brief History of Door Knockers – 5-Minute History

As for the doorbell it was invented by Scotsman William Murdoch, who installed a number of his own innovations in his house, built in Birmingham, England in 1817.

Doorbell - Wikipedia

Most western countries use door knockers or door bells, although there are now also intercoms and camera systems that can link to your phone.

Old Today, 01:41 PM

534 posts, read 311,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In your part of the world, how do visitors arriving at your house announce themselves? America has door-bells, and absent a bell, by knocking on the door with knuckles.
same in Colombia. maybe if it's a rural house, you shout "buenaas" or something similar to see if there is someone home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World