U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2018, 03:54 PM
 
6,158 posts, read 5,998,405 times
Reputation: 2195

Advertisements

In America and many western countries, you need letters of recommendation to apply for colleges/graduate schools, new jobs and so on. Such a custom does not exist in China (although the teacher may need to write something in your documents).

Is it very common in all western countries? Is it fair for non-social people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2018, 05:23 AM
 
30,094 posts, read 30,855,752 times
Reputation: 13843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In America and many western countries, you need letters of recommendation to apply for colleges/graduate schools, new jobs and so on. Such a custom does not exist in China (although the teacher may need to write something in your documents).

Is it very common in all western countries? Is it fair for non-social people?
Non-social people should be able to get letters of recommendations from their former supervisors at work and college professors whom they would not be expected to have socialized with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 04:05 PM
 
6,158 posts, read 5,998,405 times
Reputation: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Non-social people should be able to get letters of recommendations from their former supervisors at work and college professors whom they would not be expected to have socialized with.
Yes, but I suspect they tend to be not "impressive", or not very likable, which will affect the recommendations,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 AM
 
30,094 posts, read 30,855,752 times
Reputation: 13843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yes, but I suspect they tend to be not "impressive", or not very likable, which will affect the recommendations,
That is not correct. A former supervisor or professor can still give a glowing recommendation based on the person's work skills and ethics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,100 posts, read 2,715,126 times
Reputation: 4733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In America and many western countries, you need letters of recommendation to apply for colleges/graduate schools, new jobs and so on. Such a custom does not exist in China (although the teacher may need to write something in your documents).

Is it very common in all western countries? Is it fair for non-social people?
The School or Sixth Form College you attend in the UK usually writes you a letter of reccomendation in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,485 posts, read 17,981,115 times
Reputation: 10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In America and many western countries, you need letters of recommendation to apply for colleges/graduate schools, new jobs and so on. Such a custom does not exist in China (although the teacher may need to write something in your documents).

Is it very common in all western countries? Is it fair for non-social people?
Letters of recommendation are essentially a formality (otherwise known as BS) in American schools.

All they really care about are your grades and standardized test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 PM
 
6,158 posts, read 5,998,405 times
Reputation: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Letters of recommendation are essentially a formality (otherwise known as BS) in American schools.

All they really care about are your grades and standardized test scores.
I think a positive letter will not matter much (unless a famous person wrote it), but a negative one certainly does.

I know a Japanese student asked a professor to write a letter for him for graduate school application, and he chose the option to see the letter afterwards. Surprisingly, that professor wrote a lot of negative things, which he realized after he got rejected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2018, 05:57 AM
 
30,094 posts, read 30,855,752 times
Reputation: 13843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think a positive letter will not matter much (unless a famous person wrote it), but a negative one certainly does.

I know a Japanese student asked a professor to write a letter for him for graduate school application, and he chose the option to see the letter afterwards. Surprisingly, that professor wrote a lot of negative things, which he realized after he got rejected.
I never heard of any negative recommendation letter. Usually a person would just refuse to write a letter of recommendation if they had nothing positive to say and they would bow out gracefully while refusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
6,772 posts, read 3,036,593 times
Reputation: 2194
Never had to do any of this lol, for one uni application I had to do a 400 word statement but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,250,472 times
Reputation: 11103
Universities don't require or even react to recommendation letters here, but when applying for a job they can ask if it's ok to contact your previous employer. Rarely happens though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top