Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:50 AM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Forget the US, maybe doing one major city in a decade, might be possible...
I agree.

Even visiting every building and going through every road of metro areas like London, New York City, Tokyo, Shanghai, Mumbai, Los Angeles, etc., would be quite a challenge to do in one person's lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 04:08 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,693,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree.

Even visiting every building and going through every road of metro areas like London, New York City, Tokyo, Shanghai, Mumbai, Los Angeles, etc., would be quite a challenge to do in one person's lifetime.
Anyone known with such a record hold?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,161,891 times
The US Census Bureau employs 635,000 people, and it takes all them a month or two to cover every house. So one person would take over a million months.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,439,285 times
It would be impossible to accomplish it in a lifetime. There are a number of people who have visited every single country in the world including Antarctica, but none of them have been everywhere. Plus as someone else mentioned things would change over time, new roads will be built, some businesses will close while others pop up...

There are also a number of buildings and even entire cities that are closed off to the public.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,587,625 times
Humbling, but yet doable (in a sense!). This FAR from covers everything, but if I were attempting (laughable, I know) to DO, every continent in a two week trip, it would look something like this:

North America:
Day 1-3: New York City (United Nations/Metropolitan Museum/Times Square/etc.)
Day 4: Amtrak ACELA to Washington DC
Day 5-7: Mexico City (Xochimilco/Teotihuacan/Centro Historico/etc.)
Day 8: Las Vegas (arrive night of 7th)/Grand Canyon
Day 9: Driving North (and accompanying scenery. Night in Park City (during Sundance, ideally))
Day 10: Yellowstone (many main wonders can be seen in a day)
Day 11: Glacier/Sunset Kayak at Lake Louise Banff/Calgary Stampede (?)
Day 12: San Francisco
Day 13: Pacific Coast Highway
Day 14: Los Angeles (with Hollywood sign at sunset, and Griffifth Observatory, to conclude the trip)

South America:
Day 1-2: Bogota (with day trip to coffee plantation)
Day 3-5: Galapagos Islands (by land, with day trips)
Day 6-9: Cusco/Inca Sites (possible Inca Trail shortened trek)
Day 10-12: Iquitos/Amazon Trek
Day 13-14: Rio de Janeiro (perhaps during Carnival)

Antarctica:
Fly to Ushuaia
Take one week Antarctica cruise

Africa:
Day 1-3: Marrakesh region (with Sahara trip)
Day 4-7: Cairo region (with possible Luxor trip)
Day 8-11: Arusha (with visit to Serengeti/Massai Mara River during summer)
Day 12: Victoria Falls (Devil's Pool)
Day 13-14: Cape Town

Europe:
Day 1-5: London and Paris regions (time allotted based on taste, but both should at least be seen)
Day 6-7: Bergen (with day hike to Trolltunga)
Day 8-9: Rome
Day 10: Venice
Day 11-12: Prague
Day 13-14: Istanbul

Oceania:
Day 1-3: Bali (I know it's not Oceania, so cheating, but still)
Day 4-6: Alice Springs/Outback area (esp. hitting Uluru and Coober Pedy)
Day 7-8: Melbourne (catching Australian Open or a Cricket Match)
Day 9-11: Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Whitsunday Islands
Day 12-13: Sydney
Day 14: Auckland

Asia:
Day 1-2: Tokyo
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4-6: Beijing
Day 7: Hong Kong
Day 8-9: Kathmandu Valley
Day 10-11: New Delhi and Agra
Day 12-14: Israel (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Dead Sea)

My best attempt at what that would look like, if someone were REALLY in a rush (though of course it still doesn't cover everything (not even close, in fact)...

Old 02-25-2018, 02:08 AM

In the space of two years (July 2015-July 2017), I went to every continent, 30 countries, so that is pretty doable.

North America: USA, Trinidad, Guam
South America: Guyana, Suriname, French Guyana
Europe: Netherlands, France, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldolva, Transdniestria, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia
Asia: Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Brunei, Thailand, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhastan, Turkey
Africa: Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia
Australia

Old 02-25-2018, 05:58 AM

23,863 posts, read 71,206,225 times
Even if it was possible it can never be done as long as there are closed countries like North Korea and other dictatorships.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 AM

400 posts, read 289,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In the space of two years (July 2015-July 2017), I went to every continent, 30 countries, so that is pretty doable.

North America: USA, Trinidad, Guam
South America: Guyana, Suriname, French Guyana
Europe: Netherlands, France, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldolva, Transdniestria, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia
Asia: Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Brunei, Thailand, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhastan, Turkey
Africa: Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia
Australia
So you consider Turkey in Asia but Georgia and Armenia, who are at the eastern border of Turkey, as Europe. I suppose the only reason is because they are Christian? Lol.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
So you consider Turkey in Asia but Georgia and Armenia, who are at the eastern border of Turkey, as Europe. I suppose the only reason is because they are Christian? Lol.
Nearly all of Turkey is clearly in Asia, although it is true, on this particular trip, I was only in European Turkey. Geographers demarcate Europe/Asia at the Caucasus, and traditionally, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are considered Europe. Generally, tghe citizens of those countries like to regard themselves as European. When they were a part of the USSR, Europe became the logical choice, but since then, more people seem inclined to favor Asia. Azerbaijan is 98% Muslim.

Im surprised youre not quibbling about my listings for Guam and Trinidad in North America.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 AM

400 posts, read 289,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Nearly all of Turkey is clearly in Asia, although it is true, on this particular trip, I was only in European Turkey. Geographers demarcate Europe/Asia at the Caucasus, and traditionally, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are considered Europe. Generally, tghe citizens of those countries like to regard themselves as European. When they were a part of the USSR, Europe became the logical choice, but since then, more people seem inclined to favor Asia. Azerbaijan is 98% Muslim.

Im surprised youre not quibbling about my listings for Guam and Trinidad in North America.
You didn’t mention Azerbaijan in your post. Here is the map of Europe.
It’s doesn’t include Georgia and Armenia.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...s_boundary.svg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World