U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US city is the most like Tokyo?
New York City 39 68.42%
Los Angeles 9 15.79%
San Francisco 9 15.79%
Seattle 9 15.79%
Chicago 1 1.75%
Detroit 1 1.75%
Dallas 0 0%
Houston 0 0%
San Diego 0 0%
Atlanta 3 5.26%
Miami 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
DC 0 0%
Other (please mention) 4 7.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:26 AM

10,053 posts, read 6,962,308 times

Advertisements

Seattle for some reason. Perhaps it's skyline and mountainous background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 06:44 AM

15,671 posts, read 34,615,248 times
New York to me. Subways, high density, urban, millions of people, etc.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 705 times
I don't think NYC has any similarity to Tokyo, other than dense population, and buildings with bright signage. Tokyo is far cleaner, more organized, and polite. I live in NYC, and just came back from a Tokyo trip, and I am looking forward to going back, and living there if possible (my gf is a Japanese citizen, so there is a good chance). Anyway, I was expecting Tokyo to look/feel like NYC, but I just didn't get that. The metro, for example, reminds me more of Washington DC's metro stations, and similar in the way you feed the turnstile with your metro pass, and then feed it again when you exit the station. The difference is, you can tap the turnstile on your way in and the slats slide right open, which is more efficient than DC, and way more efficient that NYC metro. The trains are spotless - and the passengers, cordial. You'll be hard pressed to find someone walking around smoking - because it's not allowed. They have designated areas for smokers. The thing is though - even though there are rules set in place - the people ACTUALLY follow them. That's what I found amazing. I spent several years in the National Guard, so I've been to a fair number of US bases, and overseas - and the lifestyle felt similar to this. NOT TO COMPARE the culture in Tokyo to the military - I am just stating that the way people follow the governed rules reminds me of that kind of discipline. NYC is the complete opposite - trash everywhere - everyone feels entitled to something - disgusting subways with a metro system that can't keep schedules due to failing infrastructure. As far as weather, it felt similar - perhaps a but more humid - than here in NYC. I could go on - but to answer the OP's question, I don't think any city is quite like Tokyo (in the US), and my own curiosity is what led me to this forum.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,316,751 times
oh I loved Japan but Tokyo was just a metropolitan city similar to many others. Only impressive thing about Tokyo was how people follow the law. It is a blend of NYC, Paris and London. NYC for the crowd, Paris for the elegant style, London for the history. Still Kyoto was my favorite.

I have to go with a west coast city like Settle and San Francisco blend

Old 05-04-2018, 06:39 PM

10,296 posts, read 7,190,241 times
The city that never sleeps NYC

Old 05-04-2018, 07:29 PM

2,542 posts, read 1,189,465 times
No US city remotely reminds me of Tokyo.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 AM

3,403 posts, read 8,465,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp82 View Post
I don't think NYC has any similarity to Tokyo, other than dense population, and buildings with bright signage. Tokyo is far cleaner, more organized, and polite. I live in NYC, and just came back from a Tokyo trip, and I am looking forward to going back, and living there if possible (my gf is a Japanese citizen, so there is a good chance). Anyway, I was expecting Tokyo to look/feel like NYC, but I just didn't get that. The metro, for example, reminds me more of Washington DC's metro stations, and similar in the way you feed the turnstile with your metro pass, and then feed it again when you exit the station. The difference is, you can tap the turnstile on your way in and the slats slide right open, which is more efficient than DC, and way more efficient that NYC metro. The trains are spotless - and the passengers, cordial. You'll be hard pressed to find someone walking around smoking - because it's not allowed. They have designated areas for smokers. The thing is though - even though there are rules set in place - the people ACTUALLY follow them. That's what I found amazing. I spent several years in the National Guard, so I've been to a fair number of US bases, and overseas - and the lifestyle felt similar to this. NOT TO COMPARE the culture in Tokyo to the military - I am just stating that the way people follow the governed rules reminds me of that kind of discipline. NYC is the complete opposite - trash everywhere - everyone feels entitled to something - disgusting subways with a metro system that can't keep schedules due to failing infrastructure. As far as weather, it felt similar - perhaps a but more humid - than here in NYC. I could go on - but to answer the OP's question, I don't think any city is quite like Tokyo (in the US), and my own curiosity is what led me to this forum.
Atlanta's MARTA has that feature as well. Unfortunately that train system is far from perfect so it can't be compared with Tokyo. It has frequent delays and recently a ticket machine ate my cash without adding money to my train card. That's something that would never happen in Japan since everything is perfect and efficient over there. Does the MTA have that many issues and delays? The other reason why Atlanta can't be compared to Tokyo is because it is a lot more ghetto, has a lot of crime and guns, and a bunch of uneducated low-lifes who have a sense of entitlement. Also Atlanta has a lack of trains so many people are forced to drive in traffic. Tokyo has a lot of traffic as well, but at least you have the option to avoid it. I guess it's a fair trade off since Atlanta has a low cost of living, but then again the quality of life in TYO makes it worth every single yen.

Overall, there's only one Tokyo in the world. Other cities may have some similarities, but it will never be the same. Tokyo also seems to take the best of every city and mash it up. It has the climate of Atlanta, the density and infrastructure of New York, the layout and entertainment options of Los Angeles, the technology of San Francisco, the low crime rate of San Diego, and the scenery of Seattle. London is kind of a white and English speaking version of Tokyo, but it's still very different.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 PM

20,056 posts, read 21,663,568 times
Boston area has some Tokyo like functional qualities though obviously not Tokyo and much smaller. They have many tight small streets with a few broader streets. The city is fairly clean and quiet despite still being a city. There are multiple different business districts distributed through the area connected by transit. There’s the waterfront location.

However, the nodes in the Boston area aren’t always connected by dense neighborhoods, the transit can use a lot more work especially how none of the commuter trains are able to directly go through the center, and it’s all just smaller. And Boston, while pretty quiet and clean, isn’t really known for the politeness and friendliness of its people.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 AM

6,247 posts, read 6,080,167 times
Every major American city has some poor neighborhood that looks like a third world country.
For Boston this neighborhood is relatively invisible to tourists, and the subways do not even go there. But for other cities, it is often right next to the CBD.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Does the MTA have that many issues and delays?
The MTA is frequently delayed. Often due to ‘track investigations’ Becuase people can’t seem to throw their garbage away in a can and feel it’s easier to heave it into the tracks. Which causes small track fires. Which causes delays for any and every train that is passing through that line. Or it could be Becuase people are holding the doors, not allowing the trains to depart on time.

While the MTA provides a crucial service for all New Yorkers, it’s filthy, and unreliable. I’m getting carried away here but this is to answer your question.

And just to drive the point home that NYC is no Tokyo. Tokyo has twice as many people as NYC - fact, but can somehow manage to keep their city much cleaner and running smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or