U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What world city is most like Atlanta
Tokyo (or another Japanese city) 4 8.00%
Seoul (or another S Korean city) 0 0%
Sydney (or another Australian city) 4 8.00%
Toronto (or another Canadian city) 11 22.00%
Mexico City (or another city in Mexico) 1 2.00%
Sao Paulo, Brazil 3 6.00%
London (or another UK city) 1 2.00%
Paris (or another city in France) 0 0%
Frankfurt, Germany 7 14.00%
Amsterdam 1 2.00%
Johannesburg, South Africa 9 18.00%
Beijing (or another city in China) 1 2.00%
Rome (or another city in Italy) 1 2.00%
Other (please mention) 12 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 02:13 AM

1,687 posts, read 710,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's why Milan is actually a good match for Atlanta. Both are located on a plateau near foothills, similar climate, sprawl, both are more commercial/business oriented than touristy, both have the modern post-war look with glass towers, and both have a mix of high class areas with wealth and really slummy looking areas. Milan's metro population is actually smaller than Atlanta's, though the city proper population is higher. Milan also has two major international airports.
No. Just no. Milan is nowhere like Atlanta.

"both are more commercial/business oriented than touristy" => Milan is very touristy. Very.

"both have the modern post-war look with glass towers". No. Milan has a CBD not in the core. With glass towers indeed. but the core of Milan is something that simply doesn't exists in Atlanta. Far from it. Milan isn't the Centro Direzionale area...

"Milan's metro population is actually smaller than Atlanta's" . No, it's bigger, 7.2 million inhabitants. Atlanta has around 5.5.

The hills near Milano are the Alps. Italian side has huge lakes with very pretty cities. Surrounded by the Alps.
Also remember: Atlanta was founded around 1800. That's what, 2300 years younger than Milan. With the following result: they are deeply different. Few glass buildings in the external cbd won't change it.

Now, if you want a good start to compare your Atlanta in Europe, you have frankfurt:

As you can see, it's the european city ahead in your ranking.

But damn, not Milan. ????

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 04-02-2018 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 02:46 AM

15,577 posts, read 34,387,874 times
Quote:
So what world city would you say is most similar to Atlanta as far as climate, geography, layout, architecture, culture, status, etc?
LAYOUT...typical of most American cities....SPRAWL...with tiny little downtowns that serve more as corporate offices that people commute to, generally. But, a sprawl of residential houses going on and on and on and for 100 miles....

That already rules out anywhere in Europe or Asia. They might have large populations and sprawl to them, but any type of city in Europe or Asia is going to have a gazillion walkable neighbors everywhere. Atlanta has very little of that.

I think the LAYOUT defines Atlanta more than anything else...as does the CULTURE. The culture is African-American at the core, and kind of a southern money culture as well. Both of those cultures are very unique to Atlanta, that I can't really say would be replicated in any other country.

This is a tough one....I don't see anywhere being similar. If I had to choose something...MAYBE SAO PAULO? Only because both cities have very large international immigrant populations to both Sao Paulo and Atlanta...but when we think of both, we think of a large black underclass, with a whites more on the top, with exceptions of course. Granted Atlanta is known as a great place for AA's to enjoy the professional classes. Brazilian cities lack that, generally. Both would have the large underclasses throughout though.

Sao Paulo has a more New York feel of tons of skyscrapers that Atlanta doesn't have...but both cities would have a ton of sprawl everywhere, although Atlanta would be defined more by it's sprawl, where Sao Paulo would be defined more by its skyscrapers and its fravelas.

Climate...similar.
Geography...kind of similar.

I really can't think of anywhere else really....maybe another city in Brazil might be better...but not sure what it might be. Sao Paulo is more like New York City. Belo Horizonte is more like Chicago. The sprawly city in Brazil is the capital Brasilia, but it has such a different feel, you can't compare it at all.

But, in general, I can't see any comparisons whatsoever to any European country, and definitely not to homogeneous walkable Japan cities.

I could see an argument of Johannesburg, but its one of the few cities on the poll that I haven't been to....so I can't really draw from it personally to comment on it.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:54 PM

3,388 posts, read 8,419,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
No. Just no. Milan is nowhere like Atlanta.

"both are more commercial/business oriented than touristy" => Milan is very touristy. Very.

"both have the modern post-war look with glass towers". No. Milan has a CBD not in the core. With glass towers indeed. but the core of Milan is something that simply doesn't exists in Atlanta. Far from it. Milan isn't the Centro Direzionale area...

"Milan's metro population is actually smaller than Atlanta's" . No, it's bigger, 7.2 million inhabitants. Atlanta has around 5.5.

The hills near Milano are the Alps. Italian side has huge lakes with very pretty cities. Surrounded by the Alps.
Also remember: Atlanta was founded around 1800. That's what, 2300 years younger than Milan. With the following result: they are deeply different. Few glass buildings in the external cbd won't change it.

Now, if you want a good start to compare your Atlanta in Europe, you have frankfurt:

As you can see, it's the european city ahead in your ranking.

But damn, not Milan. ????
I thought Milan more so than Rome, since you really can't compare a city with 2000+ years of history with any American city. Frankfurt does look more similar, although I always thought Frankfurt physically looks like Cincinnati with the river and bridges. But Cincy is more of a match with Munich due to the German culture, beer gardens, and Oktoberfest.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

3,388 posts, read 8,419,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Well I'm glad we can at least agree this is only your opinion and not stated as any sort of fact.

I'm going to start saying DC is like Tokyo and SF is like Seoul.
I would say DC is like Singapore, because it's an independent city state, but with the layout of Paris and the architecture inspired by Rome and Athens

I think Miami looks like Seoul. The downtown MIA area around Bayfront Park reminds me of the Gangnam area. I've also heard Miami being compared to Tokyo due to it's skyline, hot and humid climate, and the Brightline train.

SF physically looks like Hong Kong, but overall I'd match it with Melbourne, Australia.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:21 PM

5 posts, read 1,310 times
Default Atlanta Compared to Other Large Cities

I'm not sure what the post about Atlanta being 50 years behind the times is supposed to mean however, here's some CURRENT information about The City of Atlanta.

According to city-data.com and en.wikipedia.org:
1) Atlanta has attained international prominence as a major air transportation hub, with Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport being by far the world's busiest airport since 1998.
2) Atlanta is rated a "beta(+)" world city that exerts a moderate impact on global commerce, finance, research, technology, education, media, art, and entertainment.
3) Atlanta is ranked 18th among WORLD cities and 7th in the nation with a gross domestic product of $320 billion. Atlanta's economy is considered diverse, with dominant sectors that include logistics, professional and business services, media operations, and information technology.
Now being referred to as the LA of the South as so many movie studio's have opened and filmed movies and Television Programming.
4) Atlanta has topographic features that include rolling hills and dense tree coverage, earning it the nickname of "THE CITY IN A FOREST." Revitalization of Atlanta's neighborhoods, initially spurred by the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, has intensified in the 21st century, altering the city's demographics, politics, and culture.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Atlanta Technically and Culturally not so far behind

The comparison has been made because both Georgia and Italy are said to be technologically and culturally 50 years behind the times. They are not all high tech, advanced, and futuristic like "Japanifornia".

Atlanta, technologically and culturally 50 years behind the times?

Here's some information about Atlanta, 7th in the nation, to take into consideration.
*Atlanta has attained international prominence as a major air transportation hub, with Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport being by far the world's busiest airport since 1998.
*Atlanta is rated a "beta(+)" world city that exerts a moderate impact on global commerce, finance, research, technology, education, media, art, and entertainment.
*It ranks 18th among world cities and 7th in the nation with a gross domestic product of $320 billion. Atlanta's economy is considered diverse, with dominant sectors that include logistics, professional and business services, media operations, and information technology.
*Atlanta has topographic features that include rolling hills and dense tree coverage, earning it the nickname of "the city in a forest." Revitalization of Atlanta's neighborhoods, initially spurred by the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, has intensified in the 21st century, altering the city's demographics, politics, and culture.
This information provided by City-Data and Atlanta.Wikapedia.com
In addition, Atlanta is considered the Los Angeles of the south. 37 Movie and TV shows filming in May alone.
Atlanta is home to Stranger Things, Ozark, The Walking Dead series, Marvels "Avengers: Infinity Wars, the Hunger Games just to name a few.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Atlanta Technically and Culturally not so far behind

Quote:
The comparison has been made because both Georgia and Italy are said to be technologically and culturally 50 years behind the times. They are not all high tech, advanced, and futuristic like "Japanifornia".
Atlanta has attained international prominence as a major air transportation hub, with Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport being by far the world's busiest airport since 1998.
Atlanta is rated a "beta(+)" world city that exerts a moderate impact on global commerce, finance, research, technology, education, media, art, and entertainment.
It ranks 18th among world cities and 7th in the nation with a gross domestic product of $320 billion. Atlanta's economy is considered diverse, with dominant sectors that include logistics, professional and business services, media operations, and information technology.
Atlanta has topographic features that include rolling hills and dense tree coverage, earning it the nickname of "the city in a forest." Revitalization of Atlanta's neighborhoods, initially spurred by the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, has intensified in the 21st century, altering the city's demographics, politics, and culture.
Atlanta is also considered the Los Angeles in the south, filming TV series and Movies including The Hunger Games, Stranger Things, Marvel's 'Avengers: Infinity War', Dead Pool, Ant Man, the Walking Dead series, Stranger Things, Ozark, MacGyver just to name a few

Last edited by manny38; 05-15-2018 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Added verified information

Old 05-15-2018, 02:44 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Atlanta is the kind of exciting, 21st century city with that "city that never sleeps" quality that simply can't be found in other similar, but less exciting destinations like Montgomery Alabama or Jackson Mississippi. Why, when you're looking for fun time, you can simply jump in your car, get on any of the 30 lane wide expressways and drive to any of at least 100 malls. Once you're done shopping and eating at the Cheesecake Factory, you can drive home again. And the best part is that you can do it all over again tomorrow!!! What thrills! Now, that's the kind of international destination city that I know we're all looking for. And, I'm afraid few of the cities on the OP's list can match that!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 PM

531 posts, read 119,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Perhaps In this poll since Toronto is the only N.A city on the list (other than M.C which is more different from ATL than TOR) obviously. That said, in the N.A landscape they are quite different as Toronto has one of the highest density urban cores on the continent whereas Atlanta has one of the lowest as far as large N.A cities go.

ATL is more comparable to other American sunbelt cities with fast growing but VERY sprawly low density metro areas like Dallas, Phoenix and Houston.
??Phoenix and Houston are more alike than Atlanta.They all sprawl but we aren't talking about its metro.I would assume we are discussing the core of these cities.
Phoenix built environment downtown is nothing like Atlanta.Atlanta does have a grid in its core very similar to North American cities including Toronto.Complte with turn of the century architecture.Atlanta core was vmuch more vibrant up until the 70's. If you google old pictures from 40-70 years ago you would not recognize it as Atlanta.Those old bone are still there although much has also been lost.

Even so,when I have driven from around Toronto suburbs,its very similar to Atlanta although much smaller. Take Dunwoody and compare it to Mississauga. Dunwoody actually is more densely populated.It to is a separate city just a few minutes from the core.I say this to illustrate that while Atlanta does sprawl if you look at the metro,its not as sprawl when you are in places like the core where its just not notieable,
Again Im not saying this to validate that Atlanta is just like Toronto,but there are aspect of even Houston that are similar to Toronto. Houston is just big like Toronto but far less vibrant.
The downtown portion of Atlanta physically urban.I dont mean vibrancy. Definitely more foot traffic on the street than Phoenix and Houston. Houston has tunnels that takes away from the vibrancy but thats changing as the city reorients for pedestrian activity.

People discuss "sprawl" but its only a factor if you are going where the sprawl is.Being in the core of city has no bearing on sprawl,
Nathan Phillips Square> Centennial Olympic Park

Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 AM

168 posts, read 356,274 times
There is no city outside the US that is comparable to Atlanta...………….you see, there is a God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or