Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What world city is most like Atlanta
Tokyo (or another Japanese city) 5 8.20%
Seoul (or another S Korean city) 0 0%
Sydney (or another Australian city) 4 6.56%
Toronto (or another Canadian city) 14 22.95%
Mexico City (or another city in Mexico) 1 1.64%
Sao Paulo, Brazil 4 6.56%
London (or another UK city) 2 3.28%
Paris (or another city in France) 0 0%
Frankfurt, Germany 11 18.03%
Amsterdam 1 1.64%
Johannesburg, South Africa 11 18.03%
Beijing (or another city in China) 1 1.64%
Rome (or another city in Italy) 1 1.64%
Other (please mention) 14 22.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Outside of the US there is no comparable city to Atlanta, thank God.
LOL, pretentious much?

Atlanta's a decent city, but it doesn't compare to the great cities in this ridiculous poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:20 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
LOL, pretentious much?

Atlanta's a decent city, but it doesn't compare to the great cities in this ridiculous poll.
That was the poster's point.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times
Quote:
LOL, pretentious much?

Everyone seems to hate on Atlanta, but thank God they don't live here. I don't think there's any other city in the world that gets hated on as much. Atlanta is actually better than most of the cities on this poll, except Tokyo. Tokyo is about the only thing that comes close as far as being a great place to live, high QOL, and always having something to do, somewhere to go. This time of year the blossoms (particularly cherry) are peaking in both cities.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Everyone seems to hate on Atlanta, but thank God they don't live here. I don't think there's any other city in the world that gets hated on as much. Atlanta is actually better than most of the cities on this poll, except Tokyo. Tokyo is about the only thing that comes close as far as being a great place to live, high QOL, and always having something to do, somewhere to go. This time of year the blossoms (particularly cherry) are peaking in both cities.
Underlined is highly debateable lol - cherry blossoms aside.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:34 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,206 times
Quote:
Lol

Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Underlined is highly debateable lol - cherry blossoms aside.
True, yet Atlanta is a better city with a higher quality of life than some who have commented in this thread are willing to admit, particularly the poster I responded to who claimed there are no cities outside of the U.S. comparable to Atlanta. Does that poster not realize sprawl is a thing outside of the U.S.?

Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
True, yet Atlanta is a better city with a higher quality of life than some who have commented in this thread are willing to admit, particularly the poster I responded to who claimed there are no cities outside of the U.S. comparable to Atlanta. Does that poster not realize sprawl is a thing outside of the U.S.?
I think if the OP just kept it as what world city(ies) are are most similar or shares similarities with Atlanta and actually listed stuff about Atlanta that are its defining characteristic, would have changed the nature of the discussion and it would have been less contentious and more fruitful.

Sprawl is obviously not just a U.S thing though realistically its cities probably have among the strongest examples (esp sunbelt) and it is hard for me to think of another large U.S city that is as sprawled out as ATL - PHX maybe? This isn't necessarily 'bad' either. I think it creates some urban development challenges the bigger ATL gets. Let's face it - Atlanta is growing very strongly so I think they will need to start looking at the way the city is growing if they aren't already. Especially if ATL want to develop a stronger PT ecosystem. Seattle is growing strongly as well and they are actively densifying the core. I bet you will start to see healthy PT development in Seattle as a result.

As far as a place to live - if you have a good job I hardly think Atlanta is a bad place to live though I do prefer cities even in N.A that are more solidly urban in their core. That doesn't mean everyone is like that though and no fault to them if they prefer ATL. Heck i'll take ATL's weather over T.O's pretty much any day.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-17-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think if the OP just kept it as what world city(ies) are are most similar or shares similarities with Atlanta and actually listed stuff about Atlanta that are its defining characteristic, would have changed the nature of the discussion and it would have been less contentious and more fruitful.

Sprawl is obviously not just a U.S thing though realistically its cities probably have among the strongest examples (esp sunbelt) and it is hard for me to think of another large U.S city that is as sprawled out as ATL - PHX maybe? This isn't necessarily 'bad' either. I think it creates some urban development challenges the bigger ATL gets. Let's face it - Atlanta is growing very strongly so I think they will need to start looking at the way the city is growing if they aren't already. Especially if ATL want to develop a stronger PT ecosystem. Seattle is growing strongly as well and they are actively densifying the core. I bet you will start to see healthy PT development in Seattle as a result.

As far as a place to live - if you have a good job I hardly think Atlanta is a bad place to live though I do prefer cities even in N.A that are more solidly urban in their core. That doesn't mean everyone is like that though and no fault to them if they prefer ATL. Heck i'll take ATL's weather over T.O's pretty much any day.
Great points, Fusion ATL is becoming increasingly urban, though - all sorts infill development going on. Regarding weather, I do have the windows open now as I type

Old 03-19-2018, 02:33 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,365 times
Quote:
I live pretty close to Atlanta and have been through it innumerable times and stayed there quite a bit ( have relatives and friends there) but come on, you know it is an urban sprawl. I actually **** the layout of ATL airport but I would not call it a destination city ( even with Coke, MLK, aquarium). I have lived in or visited other cities like London, Toronto, Rome, Amsterdam, Sydney etc and there is no comparison to Atlanta. Those are truly destination cities. The closest comparison I would think of in USA is Houston, another equally bland city. Even Dallas is better, let alone cities like Miami, SF, Chicago, NYC and so on.

Let Atlanta be boring Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Its really easy to throw out ignorant statements calling cities bland and boring but honestly all these cities are unique in their own way and every city has its gems. Atlanta is a very charming, booming multicultural city with great weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World