U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What world city is most like Atlanta
Tokyo (or another Japanese city) 4 8.00%
Seoul (or another S Korean city) 0 0%
Sydney (or another Australian city) 4 8.00%
Toronto (or another Canadian city) 11 22.00%
Mexico City (or another city in Mexico) 1 2.00%
Sao Paulo, Brazil 3 6.00%
London (or another UK city) 1 2.00%
Paris (or another city in France) 0 0%
Frankfurt, Germany 7 14.00%
Amsterdam 1 2.00%
Johannesburg, South Africa 9 18.00%
Beijing (or another city in China) 1 2.00%
Rome (or another city in Italy) 1 2.00%
Other (please mention) 12 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2018, 03:28 PM

1,706 posts, read 747,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its really easy to throw out ignorant statements calling cities bland and boring but honestly all these cities are unique in their own way and every city has its gems. Atlanta is a very charming, booming multicultural city with great weather.
Oh do you dare have a sweet and honest comment that could satisfy everyone?

You must fight, it's CD
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM

12,659 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well Georgia as a whole is said to look like Italy, so Atlanta being the capital and the largest city is why it could be matched with Rome. Rome's public transportation system is considered sub par by European standards. There only 2 subway lines and a streetcar system, but still sadly it is a few steps above Atlanta's. There is intercity travel on high speed rail, but in Italy everything is unreliable. I once took a train from Venice to Milan and it was an hour and a half behind schedule. That is like something that would happen with Atlanta's MARTA trains.

Overall Milan might be a better match for Atlanta, as far as the architecture in it's CDB that has the modern look. It's really the only Italian city that has tall buildings, although Naples has a few high rises.
Lol, wow...where in the world do you even get that from?

Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,441,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I do have the windows open now as I type
Me too! I have some ice cubes to make

Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its really easy to throw out ignorant statements calling cities bland and boring but honestly all these cities are unique in their own way and every city has its gems. Atlanta is a very charming, booming multicultural city with great weather.
Like I said, all these guys on here are old timers with worldviews stuck in the 70s. The OP made a fantastic thread.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:21 AM

12,581 posts, read 10,441,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Like I said, all these guys on here are old timers with worldviews stuck in the 70s. The OP made a fantastic thread.
Part of the problem is the OP didn't really provide anything for anyone to go by. He mentioned culture and architecture for example but provided no insight about ATL in his criteria. Do you think someone from France or Spain or Poland or Singapore in here knows anything about the culture and architecture of ATL? The vast majority I bet is a big no. So yeah, a lot of people outside the U.S probably don't know too much about Atlanta. This means the OP would have better served everyone - esp in the world forum providing more details about ATL in his criteria and even some pics or vids to better frame the comparison. This would have been very useful for a city like ATL. In the absence of all this well - I think this thread has reaped what it sows.

Honestly, I don't know too much about ATL either other than corporate stuff coke, CNN, Hip Hop/Rap culture, The 96 Olympics, Peach street, It's hot, the Georgia Aquarium and sorry to say - sprawl and finally, a city that hasn't exactly embraced dense urbanization (though I hear this is changing). Other than that I haven't been there and don't know more about the city beyond that. If the OP provided pictures and some more detailed guidelines and info about Atlanta to go by - it would have been easier for people to frame their comments. All I found out from OP is that Atlanta and Tokyo are similar because of lots of cherry blossoms. So yeah - excuse all us 'old timers' stuck in the 70's. We should know more about Atlanta through osmosis

Last edited by fusion2; 03-24-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 AM

975 posts, read 807,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Me too! I have some ice cubes to make
LOL. I do love T.O., though, and I'll be envying you in the summer months.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 AM

975 posts, read 807,988 times
Quote:
Part of the problem is the OP didn't really provide anything for anyone to go by. He mentioned culture and architecture for example but provided no insight about ATL in his criteria. Do you think someone from France or Spain or Poland or Singapore in here knows anything about the culture and architecture of ATL? The vast majority I bet is a big no. So yeah, a lot of people outside the U.S probably don't know too much about Atlanta. This means the OP would have better served everyone - esp in the world forum providing more details about ATL in his criteria and even some pics or vids to better frame the comparison. This would have been very useful for a city like ATL. In the absence of all this well - I think this thread has reaped what it sows.

Honestly, I don't know too much about ATL either other than corporate stuff coke, CNN, Hip Hop/Rap culture, The 96 Olympics, Peach street, It's hot, the Georgia Aquarium and sorry to say - sprawl and finally, a city that hasn't exactly embraced dense urbanization (though I hear this is changing). Other than that I haven't been there and don't know more about the city beyond that. If the OP provided pictures and some more detailed guidelines and info about Atlanta to go by - it would have been easier for people to frame their comments. All I found out from OP is that Atlanta and Tokyo are similar because of lots of cherry blossoms. So yeah - excuse all us 'old timers' stuck in the 70's. We should know more about Atlanta through osmosis
Yup. End/Thread.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM

1,268 posts, read 858,822 times
It's pretty sad that the OP wishes his/her city was remotely in the same league as those posted. As someone suggested earlier, Atlanta isn't even on the radar outside of the US. Enjoy your city, I'm sure it has all you could wish for. Just don't try and elevate it beyond its status as an average US car-centric, culture-less (relatively-speaking), sprawl. It's not London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc by any, remote stretch. And to think you even thought it resembled Italy?!! Really? I think you need to go there...

Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 AM

3,409 posts, read 8,482,758 times
Quote:

Ok, I'll list some categories:

- Metro population of 5 million
- Humid subtropical climate with hot, humid summers and mild winters with occasional cold spells
- Large airport hub
- Sprawl
- Close proximity to mountains (Appalachian style)
- Many large corporations
- Modern architecture
- Variety of neighborhoods and districts (Multiple "cities within a city" rather than one centralized CBD)

Of course the largest cities may not be a match for Atlanta, but one of the smaller cities within the country's top 10 largest cities might be a match. The thing is just like most people outside of the US aren't familiar with Atlanta, most people outside the respective countries are not familiar with the cities that are not the #1 or maybe #2 largest cities within that country.

Fukuoka is probably a better match for Atlanta than Tokyo. However, I've never been to Fukuoka so I wouldn't know. I just know from pictures that the Fukuoka Tower looks similar to the Westin Peachtree (glass tower with a blueish color), except the Fukuoka Tower is 3-sided instead of round. I am familiar with Tokyo and I've always thought of it as an "Atlanta on steroids and an Asian version". Cherry blossoms are one part of the larger similarity, the climate. They are almost identical, especially these last few weeks. They also have similar architecture and freeway layout, even though Tokyo has a LOT more rail lines. The geography is similar as there's a lot of foothills as you go out to the suburbs, and within about 100 km there's plenty of green mountains like the Appalachians. Of course as a whole Atlanta cannot be compared to Tokyo, but there's certain neighborhoods, buildings, parks, etc. in ATL that look similar to ones in TYO. For example, Shinjuku Tokyo reminds me a lot of Midtown Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
It's pretty sad that the OP wishes his/her city was remotely in the same league as those posted. As someone suggested earlier, Atlanta isn't even on the radar outside of the US. Enjoy your city, I'm sure it has all you could wish for. Just don't try and elevate it beyond its status as an average US car-centric, culture-less (relatively-speaking), sprawl. It's not London, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, etc by any, remote stretch. And to think you even thought it resembled Italy?!! Really? I think you need to go there...
Well it's a good thing it doesn't resemble Italy because Italy is a third world s-hole, at least from my experience living there. I like to think Atlanta resembles Japan more since Japan is efficient and advanced, but realistically most people think Atlanta is the opposite of that, so that's why I thought more people would compare it to Italy. Yes, my city has everything I could want. I may enjoy visiting other cities but I'm always happy to return to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:13 PM

1,876 posts, read 1,914,871 times
Atlanta and Tokyo are nothing alike. Besides the few topographical notes you mentioned nothing else is alike, not even on steroids. LA is more like Atlanta on steroids not Tokyo. DC also has cherry blossoms and are more famous for it then Atlanta and DC and Tokyo are both capitals of their respective nations, the two actually share more in common then Atlanta and Tokyo i.e multiple airports, semi coastal location, closer in density, both cities are more mass transit oriented. Even still most people would not say DC and Tokyo are similar.

Shinjuku is nothing like Midtown btw! Shinjuku is famous for all of its neon lights and densily packed sidewalks and stores.. where does Midtown have this? Atlanta is car oriented , doesn't have bullet trains, isn't a major fashion and tech destination, doesn't have ski resorts or volcanoes nearby and doesn't sit on any major faultlines... the two are nothing alike.

I almost don't believe that you've been to Tokyo. One is a uber dense megacity where everyone is waking around with street vendors and store galore and is a very dinctintive Asian city and one is a city with a suburban layout with strip malls where everyone drives which is very typical of an American city minus a few.

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-25-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or