Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What world city is most like Atlanta
Tokyo (or another Japanese city) 5 8.20%
Seoul (or another S Korean city) 0 0%
Sydney (or another Australian city) 4 6.56%
Toronto (or another Canadian city) 14 22.95%
Mexico City (or another city in Mexico) 1 1.64%
Sao Paulo, Brazil 4 6.56%
London (or another UK city) 2 3.28%
Paris (or another city in France) 0 0%
Frankfurt, Germany 11 18.03%
Amsterdam 1 1.64%
Johannesburg, South Africa 11 18.03%
Beijing (or another city in China) 1 1.64%
Rome (or another city in Italy) 1 1.64%
Other (please mention) 14 22.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:39 AM

6,554 posts, read 12,040,501 times

Advertisements

So what world city would you say is most similar to Atlanta as far as climate, geography, layout, architecture, culture, status, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 12:09 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Why in the world would you make a poll with so many off base options?

Paris, really? Rome, even more, really? I think a better title would be "Which of these cities is the least similar to Atlanta"

Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
anchorage alaksa!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Paris, really? Rome, even more, really? I think a better title would be "Which of these cities is the least similar to Atlanta"
It's almost the same ! look:

Atlanta:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@33.76082...7i13312!8i6656

Paris:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.84719...7i13312!8i6656

Rome:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@41.89645...7i13312!8i6656

In France, maybe "here" (La Défense) you would feel a little bit like in Atlanta... But it's just a CBD, not the active core. I will continue to search, for me there's nothing like NA cities in France...
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.89265...7i13312!8i6656

Buildings buildings buildings!
A:
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Atl...!4d-84.3879824
LD:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.89302.../data=!3m1!1e3

Well, technically, from the air, as soon as there are buildings, cities look the same lol.

A tiny little mini bit of Atlanta in Part Dieu, Lyon...
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.76208...7i13312!8i6656

I vote Toronto

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 02-26-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post

I vote Toronto
Perhaps In this poll since Toronto is the only N.A city on the list (other than M.C which is more different from ATL than TOR) obviously. That said, in the N.A landscape they are quite different as Toronto has one of the highest density urban cores on the continent whereas Atlanta has one of the lowest as far as large N.A cities go.

ATL is more comparable to other American sunbelt cities with fast growing but VERY sprawly low density metro areas like Dallas, Phoenix and Houston.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:01 PM

321 posts, read 333,655 times
Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:35 AM

6,554 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Well Georgia as a whole is said to look like Italy, so Atlanta being the capital and the largest city is why it could be matched with Rome. Rome's public transportation system is considered sub par by European standards. There only 2 subway lines and a streetcar system, but still sadly it is a few steps above Atlanta's. There is intercity travel on high speed rail, but in Italy everything is unreliable. I once took a train from Venice to Milan and it was an hour and a half behind schedule. That is like something that would happen with Atlanta's MARTA trains.

Overall Milan might be a better match for Atlanta, as far as the architecture in it's CDB that has the modern look. It's really the only Italian city that has tall buildings, although Naples has a few high rises.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 AM

457 posts, read 904,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well Georgia as a whole is said to look like Italy, so Atlanta being the capital and the largest city is why it could be matched with Rome. Rome's public transportation system is considered sub par by European standards. There only 2 subway lines and a streetcar system, but still sadly it is a few steps above Atlanta's. There is intercity travel on high speed rail, but in Italy everything is unreliable. I once took a train from Venice to Milan and it was an hour and a half behind schedule. That is like something that would happen with Atlanta's MARTA trains.

Overall Milan might be a better match for Atlanta, as far as the architecture in it's CDB that has the modern look. It's really the only Italian city that has tall buildings, although Naples has a few high rises.

I cannot fathom how you can say you have been to Italy, and claim it looks like Georgia. Italy is a country of stunning natural beauty and architecture. Georgia has natural beauty, yes - but it is in no way comparable to Italy.

And comparing Atlanta to Rome, even the modern parts of Rome, is absurd. Atlanta looks like none of the cities on this self-aggrandizing list. Atlanta is Atlanta, and that should be enough.

P.S. If you post was meant as satire, then I apologize to missing the humor.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:33 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I cannot fathom how you can say you have been to Italy, and claim it looks like Georgia. Italy is a country of stunning natural beauty and architecture. Georgia has natural beauty, yes - but it is in no way comparable to Italy.

And comparing Atlanta to Rome, even the modern parts of Rome, is absurd. Atlanta looks like none of the cities on this self-aggrandizing list. Atlanta is Atlanta, and that should be enough.

P.S. If you post was meant as satire, then I apologize to missing the humor.
Agreed. I wonder if the poster has ever been to Italy or any of the cities on that list...

Atlanta pales in beauty to several American cities let alone international ones.

Unless this is a thread to make Atlanta look bad, the poster has a skewed view of the world.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:34 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Italy and Roma aren't like Georgia, at all... I would like to know why this comparison is made
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World