Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 PM

24,144 posts, read 24,695,670 times

Advertisements

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Trudeau is definitely not that known in Finland and Scandinavia. Not that Canadians would need to know our prime minister either. Rather good if you don't.

I'd say household names are Trump, Putin, Merkel, Carl XVI Gustaf (King of Sweden), Elizabeth II, Kim Jong-un, Erdogan, Juncker and Löfven (PM of Sweden). About Macron and May I'm unsure of, as they haven't been too much in the news lately. Especially the former dropped out quite quickly after the French election, though he was on everybody's lips then.
Former leaders "everyone" knows are Obama, G W Bush, Saddam, Ghaddafi, Chirac, Blair, Cameron, Berlusconi, Sarkozy, Reinfeldt, Ilves, Yeltsin.

Those who follow politics more closely probably know Trudeau and some others, like Rutte and Sohlberg (PM's of NL and Norway), Kaljuraid (President of Estonia), Poroshenko (President of Ukraine, and probably only as our presidents are some kind of BFF's these days), Stoltenberg (Chairman of NATO), and Tusk (Chairman of the European Commission).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM

10,729 posts, read 23,680,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Same goes for German Chancellors. Merkel is very well-known these days.
She's been chancellor since God was young. Somewhat of a household name because she's been chancellor for so long.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,454,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Trudeau is definitely not that known in Finland and Scandinavia. Not that Canadians would need to know our prime minister either. Rather good if you don't.

I'd say household names are Trump, Putin, Merkel, Carl XVI Gustaf (King of Sweden), Elizabeth II, Kim Jong-un, Erdogan, Juncker and Löfven (PM of Sweden). About Macron and May I'm unsure of, as they haven't been too much in the news lately. Especially the former dropped out quite quickly after the French election, though he was on everybody's lips then.
Former leaders "everyone" knows are Obama, G W Bush, Saddam, Ghaddafi, Chirac, Blair, Cameron, Berlusconi, Sarkozy, Reinfeldt, Ilves, Yeltsin.

Those who follow politics more closely probably know Trudeau and some others, like Rutte and Sohlberg (PM's of NL and Norway), Kaljuraid (President of Estonia), Poroshenko (President of Ukraine, and probably only as our presidents are some kind of BFF's these days), Stoltenberg (Chairman of NATO), and Tusk (Chairman of the European Commission).
Trudeau hasn't done much to be recognized. He's mostly known for his PC stance on a number of issues, not that it's always a bad thing.

May's nowhere near the household name that former PM's like Blair and Thatcher were.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:01 PM

26,781 posts, read 37,757,067 times
Quote:
).
I don't have any bubble to burst regarding Justin Trudeau.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:08 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,754,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Trudeau is quite popular as many view him as Trump's polar opposite.
His youth and looks has a big part of it. I remember when he first became Prime Minister and he was killing social media with comments - particularly from women about how he is the first leader they would actually jump his bones. I remember when he went to the Philippines and he made national headlines there with the Mexican President where they were asking the ever important question - who is hotter.

Certainly vs our previous PM Harper (who really was truly a global unknown) - like or love Trudeau - he has done more to get his name as leader of Canada out there than probably any Canadian leader since perhaps his own father.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I don't have any bubble to burst regarding Justin Trudeau.
I didn't mean you specifically, but Canadians in general, in regard to your sentence in the OP: "Canadians like to think our current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau enjoys name recognition worldwide. I am sure that may be partly true, but I have no idea to what degree."

Wayne Gretzky again, HE enjoys wide name recognition here.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,227,363 times
Quote:

Agree, Trudeau not as well know as some Canadians think. Some might know because of his looks.

He is better known than some on your list...PM of Sweden....most people in the world would
have no clue...King of Spain...probably not either.

Macron and May should be better known due to the countries they head but
both a very low key, not memorable, opposite of Trump and Putin

Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
He is better known than some on your list...PM of Sweden....most people in the world would have no clue...King of Spain...probably not either.
I was referring to my country only.

Juan Carlos was somewhat known in Finland, his son Felipe VI not so much, though he used to have a Finnish GF.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 PM

26,781 posts, read 37,757,067 times
Quote:
I didn't mean you specifically, but Canadians in general, in regard to your sentence in the OP: [i]"Canadians like to think our current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau enjoys name recognition worldwide. I am sure that may be partly true, but I have no idea to what degree."
Some Canadians have an eagerness to see the country obtain more international recognition, based on the sentiment that it doesn't have the cred that it deserves. Justin Trudeau nicely fits into what these people desire as a global image for their country. Or at least he did.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Some Canadians have an eagerness to see the country obtain more international recognition, based on the sentiment that it doesn't have the cred that it deserves. Justin Trudeau nicely fits into what these people desire as a global image for their country. Or at least he did.
Trudeau fits this stereotype:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World