Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Australia really has among the best of all worlds and it's why it is always ranked so high on these happiness rankings. How can you be miserable when you live in a functioning country with little corruption in a place like this?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=whits...MCB_UQ_AUIESgB
Because Atrax Robustus like to tickle your toes in the bed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 05:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Because Atrax Robustus like to tickle your toes in the bed
I didn't see any during my stay there and even in the remote chance you get bitten, there is an antivenom you can take.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:54 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
So all bar one Nordic/Scandinavian countries are in the top 5, with Sweden still in the top 10. Seems a pretty obvious case of unconscious or unacknowledged cultural bias. A survey conducted by Singaporeans, Japanese or whoever would yield very different outcomes.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:23 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
There are some solid rumours that they made the survey in a pub in the finnish city of Turku after a round of a pint of Vodka with the locals. Also that one of the respondents presented himself as a guy who like to write funny posts on an internet forum

Last edited by marlaver; 03-17-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 08:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
So all bar one Nordic/Scandinavian countries are in the top 5, with Sweden still in the top 10. Seems a pretty obvious case of unconscious or unacknowledged cultural bias. A survey conducted by Singaporeans, Japanese or whoever would yield very different outcomes.
Or maybe their culture is one that produces such results? I do not know, would have to see the methodology, but I am assuming they applied the same methodology to all countries? How many measures were subjective vs objective?

Having been to those countries many times, I do think though that those countries are very nice to live in, I sure would not complain about it (except the weather, lol).

Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Australia really has among the best of all worlds and it's why it is always ranked so high on these happiness rankings. How can you be miserable when you live in a functioning country with little corruption in a place like this?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=whits...MCB_UQ_AUIESgB
Ahh, my favourite place in the country. You know they are still recovering from Cyclone Debbie though, which hit last year?

Like people all over the world, we get a bit miserable when we are stuck in traffic jams. Sydney is particularly difficult to fix in that regard as we have all the waterways crossing it, the real estate prices are so high that all the new infrastructure is mega expensive as they need to resume property. Also all the building is making the roads be filled with trucks.

Then, in common with many countries, some of our politicians seem more focused on the extra marital relationships of other politicians rather than the welfare of the country. By and large, we do not care what they do in their private lives but we do care what they do for the country.

Still, it gives us perspective. When my friends and I whinge about our partners...playing too much golf...watching too much television....forgetting to bring in the garbage bins.....we think at least they are not behaving like Barnaby Joyce and the others. ( to our knowledge!!)

Old 03-17-2018, 09:40 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Or maybe their culture is one that produces such results? I do not know, would have to see the methodology, but I am assuming they applied the same methodology to all countries? How many measures were subjective vs objective?

Having been to those countries many times, I do think though that those countries are very nice to live in, I sure would not complain about it (except the weather, lol).
Different cultures place different priorities on various societal values, lifestyle outcomes or social dynamics. I suspect the metrics used to assess "happiness" or "welfare" just align more closely to Nordic norms than those of other groups.

Some cultures value personal independence (economic, social etc) pretty highly, for example, which would not fit the social welfare model in place in many of the countries rated highly in this survey.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 AM

387 posts, read 380,209 times
I think it's more cultural than anything else, it seems to me that other less developed countries like Thailand have a good level of happiness. Although of course having a home, what to eat and be safe remains primary needs.

But I know many people who have everything a man could dream and yet are sad.

There was a recent study that claimed that happiness was 50% genetic and that some of the genes that came to us from Neanderthal concerned depression. So maybe happiness is beyond of our own control.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:51 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
I didn't see any during my stay there and even in the remote chance you get bitten, there is an antivenom you can take.
'it was a joke'

Old 03-18-2018, 02:52 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
How many millions were wasted on this "report?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World