U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 AM

2,001 posts, read 702,565 times

Advertisements

But, are you sure the Finns are onnellisimmat? Are you sure that word means exactly the same to a Finn, that "happiest" means to us? How was the question asked to Finns, and are your sure that they were thinking of the same set of emotions and feelings when they answered it?

This is why these happiness surveys are so stupid, and have so many widely different results. Who is asking the questions, and what to they even mean when they are translated into other languages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 04:52 AM

6,496 posts, read 4,527,215 times
Meh. This list again. Iím le bored.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 AM

2,001 posts, read 702,565 times
Here's another happiness survey, from 2016:

Paraguay, 84
Costa Rica, 83
Panama, 82
Philippines, 82
Uzbekistan, 82
Ecuador, 81
Guatemala, 81
Mexico, 81
Norway, 81
Chile, 80
Colombia, 80

Which survey was doing it right, and which one was doing it wrong?

https://www.livescience.com/59633-20...happiness.html

Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 AM

21 posts, read 8,204 times
I would figure a forum like this would push back against these official lists of which countries in the world are the best and happiest. After living in many places myself - including two in Scandinavia - it seems laughable that they're the happiest on earth!

Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 AM

9,537 posts, read 10,689,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Ahh, my favourite place in the country. You know they are still recovering from Cyclone Debbie though, which hit last year?

Like people all over the world, we get a bit miserable when we are stuck in traffic jams. Sydney is particularly difficult to fix in that regard as we have all the waterways crossing it, the real estate prices are so high that all the new infrastructure is mega expensive as they need to resume property. Also all the building is making the roads be filled with trucks.

Then, in common with many countries, some of our politicians seem more focused on the extra marital relationships of other politicians rather than the welfare of the country. By and large, we do not care what they do in their private lives but we do care what they do for the country.

Still, it gives us perspective. When my friends and I whinge about our partners...playing too much golf...watching too much television....forgetting to bring in the garbage bins.....we think at least they are not behaving like Barnaby Joyce and the others. ( to our knowledge!!)
Yes real estate in large cities around the world is quite expensive and traffic is pretty bad and so that is fairly par for the course. Politicians generally aren't great no matter where you go but I guess Australia has among the least corrupt. How often do they get busted stealing public money?

Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM

9,537 posts, read 10,689,880 times
Out of all the Nordic countries, I have only been to Iceland and while I enjoyed my time there, I didn't notice the people were super happy. They seemed pretty average to me in that regard. I will say though that it felt very safe and peaceful there so that definitely gives it bonus points in my book. I am not sure if those two factors form part of the formula used in this ranking for "happiness" or not.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:43 AM

1,798 posts, read 911,333 times
And Russia was tied with Somalia as most corrupt what else is news. Finland is super nice and so is Norway and Sweden.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM

14,799 posts, read 16,718,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here's another happiness survey, from 2016:

Paraguay, 84
Costa Rica, 83
Panama, 82
Philippines, 82
Uzbekistan, 82
Ecuador, 81
Guatemala, 81
Mexico, 81
Norway, 81
Chile, 80
Colombia, 80

Which survey was doing it right, and which one was doing it wrong?

https://www.livescience.com/59633-20...happiness.html
Yea i personally don't usually take these surveys seriously considering you get so many different rankings...

In my own personal experience ... i have only been to 5 countries. U.S, Mexico, Canada, U.K, France, &
Switzerland.... of all those nations the only nation that stood out on having amazingly good vibes and just an all out beautiful atmosphere was Mexico.... i remember driving across the border life just suddenly slowed down and there was just a great time.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:57 PM

12,297 posts, read 11,734,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea i personally don't usually take these surveys seriously considering you get so many different rankings...

In my own personal experience ... i have only been to 5 countries. U.S, Mexico, Canada, U.K, France, &
Switzerland.... of all those nations the only nation that stood out on having amazingly good vibes and just an all out beautiful atmosphere was Mexico.... i remember driving across the border life just suddenly slowed down and there was just a great time.
But even common sense would say Mexico is not even close to being the "happiest", given the millions of Mexicans who have fled the country, even risking their lives to do so. People generally do not flee a country by the millions, and risk their lives, if the country is a nice place to live. And they definitely do not create fuss and opposition when the country they fled to puts up barriers to prevent them from fleeing and deport them back when caught.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 PM

1,255 posts, read 483,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You French are so melodramatic, and always love to complain. As I've said before, probably one reason why Finland does so well on these rankings is that we have an endless optimism that things will get better in the future. But in France you say "no, things will be crap, just look at our president/senate/school lunches/traffic/whatever". We complain a lot too, so we have a lot of common ground there, but we try to make creative solutions out from it.

We are in the process of privatising our railways too, but I think we have the mentality that "if it goes wrong, let's fix it afterwards".
I would be equally pessimistic if I were a Frenchman.

France has been going downhill in the last two decades. It is in the process of transforming from a prosperous beautiful developed country to a third world country rampant with crimes and radical Islam.

I'd choose South Korea on any given day. It doesn't have a glamorous past but at least it's changing for the better. Hope is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or