Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Different cultures place different priorities on various societal values, lifestyle outcomes or social dynamics. I suspect the metrics used to assess "happiness" or "welfare" just align more closely to Nordic norms than those of other groups.

Some cultures value personal independence (economic, social etc) pretty highly, for example, which would not fit the social welfare model in place in many of the countries rated highly in this survey.
Sure there are different cultural difference, but in this report people were simply asked "how happy are you now and how happy do you think you would be in the future?" and other questions like:

“If you were in trouble, do you have relatives or friends you can count on to help you whenever you need them, or not?”

“Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with your freedom to choose what you do with your life?”

“Have you donated money to a charity in the past month?”

“Is corruption widespread throughout the government or not?” and “Is corruption widespread within businesses or not?”

It's completely false that the Nordic countries would've traded personal freedom for social welfare. All countries rank in the top in economical, personal, political, religious freedoms, and also at the top in social mobility, press freedom and freedom of assembly. It's not a zero-sum game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Scandinavian countries will always be the top happiest places on earth, it's just a shame the requirement is you being apart of the white majority population to enjoy the best benefits.

I spent several weeks in Norway as an African American. You wouldn't believe the remarks and stares I got since I had the audacity to be with a local white woman. I talked to asians who lived there as well and they shared similar experiences.

Best part is they thought I was a Somalian uber driver because there is a number of Somalian immigrants living there. Nope, I wasn't happy at all in these homogeneous countries. For cultural and racial diversity, they still have a long way to go.

But if you're white, it most certainly is the happiest/best place on earth.
For the first time in this specific survey also immigrants were polled. And both ethnic Finns and immigrants were ranked as number 1.

I don't deny that there wouldn't be some levels of xenophobia or simply people being unaccustomed to visible minorities. After all, it's a rather new trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I wouldn’t live in Helsinki if you paid me. Months and months with cold temperatures and darkness, very dull place, and sort of isolated. Nah
You have said you've lived in Montreal, so I don't see how the climate would be such a shock to you. Except of course if you weren't totally miserable because of the climate.
BTW, Helsinki ranks very high in the best cities to live in rankings as well. And funny to say as an Australian that Helsinki would be "isolated", when Australia is THE definition of isolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
I often wonder what the methodology is for these reports. At the top you have Finland, which has an unusually high suicide rate for a highly developed western nation, and not too far behind is Iceland, a country with the highest rates of anti-depressant usage in the world.

Another thing most of the countries in the top 10 have in common is gloomy climates. Is it suggesting that climate is irrelevant? I find that hard to believe, I also find it hard to believe that people living around the Baltic would be happier than people living around the Mediterranean.
Finland's suicide rate is largely a quite obsolete stereotype. Sure, the suicide rate is high compared to Spain and Italy, but on similar levels to the US, France and Switzerland. If you see a limited-sample study as a poor indicator, I think the 800 people committing suicide in Finland annually is an even poorer indicator.

Climate doesn't seem to be a big factor. And it's quite understandable. I don't want to diss the Mediterranean countries, but they have big problems with unemployment, affordable housing, purchasing power, personal opportunities and have low trust in their political system.

I can't see how anyone could think that life in Greece would be at the moment better than life in Finland. Sunshine and nice beaches doesn't help if you can't afford even basic prescription drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The unhappy ones have committed suicide,lol.
There are actually several studies pointing out that the more overall happiness around you it might make your unhappiness stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
I often wonder what the methodology is for these reports. At the top you have Finland, which has an unusually high suicide rate for a highly developed western nation, and not too far behind is Iceland, a country with the highest rates of anti-depressant usage in the world.

Another thing most of the countries in the top 10 have in common is gloomy climates. Is it suggesting that climate is irrelevant? I find that hard to believe, I also find it hard to believe that people living around the Baltic would be happier than people living around the Mediterranean.
I don't think the climates are THAT bad, personally I hate cold weather but millions of people seem to survive Scandinavian/Nordic climates every year without too much bother and the Summers are probably very pleasant.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Sure there are different cultural difference, but in this report people were simply asked "how happy are you now and how happy do you think you would be in the future?" and other questions like:

“If you were in trouble, do you have relatives or friends you can count on to help you whenever you need them, or not?”

“Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with your freedom to choose what you do with your life?”

“Have you donated money to a charity in the past month?”

“Is corruption widespread throughout the government or not?” and “Is corruption widespread within businesses or not?”

It's completely false that the Nordic countries would've traded personal freedom for social welfare. All countries rank in the top in economical, personal, political, religious freedoms, and also at the top in social mobility, press freedom and freedom of assembly. It's not a zero-sum game.
People from different cultures would respond to those questions differently for a variety of reasons. Even in the English speaking world, you'd get responses driven by different values, perceptions and attitudes. A society that is more questioning of authority will likely rate 'corruption' higher even if the actual level of corruption is no different, for example. Then compound that with anomalies caused by language.

The Nordic countries have traded personal economic freedom for social welfare due to their very high taxation rates needed to fund that model. Pay more in taxes = spend less according to your own values and aspirations.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 03-19-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Scandinavian countries will always be the top happiest places on earth, it's just a shame the requirement is you being apart of the white majority population to enjoy the best benefits.

I spent several weeks in Norway as an African American. You wouldn't believe the remarks and stares I got since I had the audacity to be with a local white woman. I talked to asians who lived there as well and they shared similar experiences.

Best part is they thought I was a Somalian uber driver because there is a number of Somalian immigrants living there. Nope, I wasn't happy at all in these homogeneous countries. For cultural and racial diversity, they still have a long way to go.

But if you're white, it most certainly is the happiest/best place on earth.
A great example of how "different" we are as humans, skin color unfortunately is seen as such an "alien" thing in many places, many of us with the same skin color as them will have such a different experience as someone with darker skin...

An African-American would probably face less troubles in France or England compared to somewhere like Norway or Iceland.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,638 times
I agree Ariete on these suicide case, it seems to be some kind myth.

Let's see some fast statistic example between Finland and Netherlands,from year 2015:
-Suicides in Finland, 716 cases and around 5500000 citizens,means around 13 cases / 100000 peoples
-Suicides in Netherlands, 5516 + cases (Statistic numbers just from euthanasia cases and yes, it is suicide) and around 17000000 citizens,means around 33,5 + cases / 100000 peoples.

If checking statistics from countries of Europe (2015), figures of Finland is on quite average level.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:01 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
I agree Ariete on these suicide case, it seems to be some kind myth.

Let's see some fast statistic example between Finland and Netherlands,from year 2015:
-Suicides in Finland, 716 cases and around 5500000 citizens,means around 13 cases / 100000 peoples
-Suicides in Netherlands, 5516 + cases (Statistic numbers just from euthanasia cases and yes, it is suicide) and around 17000000 citizens,means around 33,5 + cases / 100000 peoples.

If checking statistics from countries of Europe (2015), figures of Finland is on quite average level.

I think you are above France. Which means you are bad. Because France is bad for a lot of things.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
The Nordic countries have traded personal economic freedom for social welfare due to their very high taxation rates needed to fund that model. Pay more in taxes = spend less according to your own values and aspirations.
All countries with a functioning government have taxes, so we're all in the same boat. Those Western countries which have lower income taxes have to pay for healthcare insurance, college tuition, daycare and different kinds of deductibles and co-pays. Those are in effect taxes, they are just not called a tax.

And even after that, the Swede getting average net wage (€2600) still has more economic opportunities than the Mexican getting average wage (€500), because the COL is not 5 times cheaper in Mexico.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 AM

387 posts, read 380,209 times
I have never understood this hate for taxes whether it is the government that levies or a private company the result is the same. And still the state doesn't need to make a profit while for a private company it is a necessity.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:31 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordeaux33 View Post
I have never understood this hate for taxes whether it is the government that levies or a private company the result is the same. And still the state doesn't need to make a profit while for a private company it is a necessity.
Well the state takes enough money to pay everyone and invest too. So at the end it's quite close.

Anyway, I agree.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 AM

23 posts, read 24,035 times
Why should the state take from hard working people and give to the lazy ones? Sure, some ill/old people need it but many people abuse the welfare systems in Europe. What if people just stop working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World