U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 3 cities has the highest quality of living?
Miami 5 17.86%
Singapore 12 42.86%
Honolulu 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:22 PM

9,671 posts, read 10,988,989 times

Advertisements

Out of these cities, which of these 3 do you think have the highest quality of life?

Let's compare things like:
Climate
Cost of Living
Crime
Economy
Cultural Activities
Public Transit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 04:39 PM

597 posts, read 303,020 times
The only downside to Singapore is the hot climate, which would not suit me.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:09 PM

5,795 posts, read 6,348,562 times
This is tough. For the average person, these cities don't offer a great QOL due to the high cost. Singapore does provide decent assistance to its working citizens but then again my understanding is the social services are kinda lacking for the elderly and less fortunate.

It appears a majority of people in Miami are struggling to get by and not really getting ahead. A lot of people live with multiple families in one home.

I don't really know much about HNL but it certainly has a reputation for being expensive.

IMO HNL has the best climate. COL goes to Miami, particularly if we can stretch into the cheaper suburbs. Crime is lowest in Singapore. Economy goes to SNG slightly. Cultural activities is pretty even I guess. Public transit by far the best in SNG.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:59 AM

137 posts, read 49,906 times
I have met many people who moved to Sydney from Singapore and they all complain about:
the long work hours
the lack of holidays
low minimum wage (Singapore is very expensive)
People were always stressed and materialistic
The stress of so many strict laws and customs

so I vote For Honolulu.
Miami is crap

Climate = Honolulu
Cost of living = Honolulu
Crime = Singapore
Economy= well it depends, but Singapore wins
Cultural activities= Miami
Public Transit= Singapore wins, but I was surprised how good was in Honolulu

Old 03-18-2018, 05:35 AM

8,639 posts, read 2,917,925 times
Singapore has very good healthcare and it's public transport is also very good.

Healthcare in Singapore - Wikipedia

Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 AM

596 posts, read 479,264 times
Both cities probably have a nice quality of life. I prefer Honolulu because it has that vibe of a small metropolis (less than 1 million inhabitants) but still full of options, a lot of beaches, people seem to be happier and less stressed thant in the other cities.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:58 AM

3,466 posts, read 2,581,100 times
Climate: Honolulu
Cost of Living: Miami (but, of course, this is largely influenced by earnings and opportunities, too)
Crime: Singapore
Economy: Singapore
Cultural Activities: Singapore (depends on how culture is being defined, but generally Singapore would seem to have the most significant institutions and amount of offerings)
Public Transit: Singapore

Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM

4,605 posts, read 1,153,147 times
Easily Singapore. The schools, traffic, politicians, etc. aren't very good here in Hawaii

Sure the weather, beaches, vibe, culture in Hawaii is great for a vacation. But I would consider the best quality of living a place where the locals aren't known to be massively overweight (no offense).

Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 PM

129 posts, read 87,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
The only downside to Singapore is the hot climate, which would not suit me.
Isn't Sydney pretty hot, too?

Would you move to a colder city/country?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:22 AM

186 posts, read 183,635 times
The problem with Singapore for me isn't the heat, high 20 - low 30C is fine, but it's the insane humidity. I remember the first time I set foot outdoors in Singapore straight from the airport - I almost literally choked on my first breath - the air was that thick. The first day I found myself wanting to go indoors after every 20 minutes simply because I wanted to breathe better - and I'm not asthmatic. Obviously I haven't acclimatised.

Singapore's a really well run and managed city, but the fact that the weather is like that... wet, muggy conditions all year round with absolutely no change in seasons doesn't sound very appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or