U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:42 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,018,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I agree more or less, though it tends to depend on the city. Calgary sprawls quite a bit, yet it's metro only has marginally more people than the city proper. Outside of Toronto and Montreal, I haven't been too impressed with Canada's PT. I do like Vancouver's offering, but it's not expansive enough. Calgary's and Edmonton's remain lackluster, even after some of the more recent expansions.
Its not just a matter of liking the offerings. It is a matter of how much people embrace transit and actually use PT and in Canada - the percentage is higher. There aren't a lot of big cities in Canada so the big 3 whose metro area populations which have a whopping 30-35 percent of Canada's entire population are decent users of PT. If you look at Montreal and Toronto's subway systems they are ranked 2nd and 3rd in ridership in Canada/U.S with NYC number 1 (no surprise). Vancouver is ranked 9th and has higher ridership than much larger cities in the U.S like S.F, Philly, Atlanta, L.A, Dallas, Houston etc. I think that speaks to something. It is a combination of higher density in the urban cores than the more sprawl like U.S cities and a greater propensity to embrace PT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 AM

14,805 posts, read 17,538,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
It's not just about access for broadband. The quality can be pretty inconsistent, even in major cities. I don't hear people from developed Asia and Europe joke about how bad their local providers are.
I did a speed test and my connection is 159 Mbps download 143 Mbps upload. Internet speed depends on your provider. I use Verizon FIOS broadband (fiber optic).

You can also get pretty good complimentary broadband access at Starbucks and McDonalds.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:29 AM

18,873 posts, read 20,758,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
There actually has been lots of talk about building a Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne high speed rail link. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime however.

There is loads of domestic air traffic running between the 3 cities thats for sure.

World's busiest airline flight routes: Melbourne-Sydney now world's second busiest
Busy short run air routes are generally the best candidates for replacement by high speed rail especially since it lets you go from city center to city center. It makes a lot of sense for these cities especially since an electrified high speed rail line would use electricity (which Australia can have a ton of due to its solar potential) versus the jet fuel that Australia must import. It would be really sensible and it's odd that it hasn't happened already nor even under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
They aren't bad, but your average European city will have a much more robust system. Both cities are served by LRT and have undergone several expansions since their original inception, but don't have commuter rail services.

I haven't been to Adelaide so I'm not too sure what the scene is like over there, though I do know that they have their own LRT running.
Mostly, yes--your mileage varies a bit as Europe is large and diverse. For metros of that size range, Calgary and Edmonton's mass transit infrastructure is nowhere towards the top since you have similarly sized metros with very large rail networks like Oslo, so these two would rank towards the bottom in comparison if you're also looking at the trams and the usually very extensive commuter rail network.

Compared to US cities of similar metro size, these two compare very favorably and seems to compare favorably to Adelaide. Certainly they can do better though and there are plans to expand including at least one additional line currently under construction.

Also in this population size range in Canada is Ottawa. It currently has a single short line and its ridership is quite low in comparison, but that's about to change drastically around the end of this year as a second longer line is opened that will be completely grade-separated.

Regardless, what's evident is that in terms of mass transit infrastructure, the US is behind Canada and Australia, neither of which are really world leaders on this.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-12-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 AM

6,441 posts, read 4,433,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The problem is that the core urban nodes of US cities got heavily wrecked and depopulated in the course of the 20th century and are just now recovering and there is pretty crap infrastructure for travel within a city such that even if you did have high speed rail linking these nodes, you're going to be hard up getting around once you reach that city center. High speed rail isn't "redundant"--it's just not there and the US cities that could have used it have a lot of fixes they need to make in terms of local infrastructure.
The problem is that Americans just aren't interested so there's not really any point to discuss this matter. The bottom line is Americans love their cars. End of story.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:09 PM

18,873 posts, read 20,758,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The problem is that Americans just aren't interested so there's not really any point to discuss this matter. The bottom line is Americans love their cars. End of story.
Sort of. They love them partially because the government highly subsidizes automobile travel in myriad ways their usage and as part of urban planning policies of the mid 20th century.

Unfortunately, there were some serious issues with that and they can be redressed. You probably don't know this, but a lot of US cities that basically saw their urban cores continually tank through the second half of the 20th century are now their regional foci for development and where a large number of jobs are being created or relocated. This has been going on in the couple decades prior to the recession, stalled a bit, and has been in pretty full force since the nadir of the recession. At this point, it probably is making more and more sense to people in the US that mass transit investments are a good idea though the inertia is hard to overcome. However, it has been happening in many cities.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-12-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 AM

106 posts, read 103,048 times
London's public transport infrastructure projects

Introduction video

Northern Line extension

Bakerloo Line extension

Overground Line extension

Bank station capacity upgrade

Victoria station capacity upgrade

Camden Town station capacity upgrade

Holborn station capacity upgrade

Four Lines Modernisation Programme

New Tube for London

Crossrail 1 (Elizabeth Line)

Crossrail 2

London Bridge Station redevelopment

King's Cross Station redevelopment

Waterloo Station redevelopment

Euston Station redevelopment

Thameslink Programme

High-Speed line between London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, etc

Last edited by ilovelondon; 05-11-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 10:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,249,970 times
African nations are more advanced than U.S. with shiny bus stop shelters with beautiful yellow frame and green lit signs. Roads are well paved and they have futuristic architectures.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:33 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,538,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
African nations are more advanced than U.S. with shiny bus stop shelters with beautiful yellow frame and green lit signs. Roads are well paved and they have futuristic architectures.
Really? Well, show some examples. Africa is a huge place.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:33 PM

1,602 posts, read 796,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
I hear the US lags behind a lot of developed countries in infrastructure For those of you who have been to other countries, how was the infrastructure there?
If you're exclusively talking about public transit (the way this thread seems so assume you are), kind of yeah. Otherwise not really.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:22 PM

106 posts, read 103,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
If you're exclusively talking about public transit (the way this thread seems so assume you are), kind of yeah. Otherwise not really.
London's (non-public transport) infrastructure projects

Thames Tideway Tunnel (Super Sewer)

London Gateway Project

CityTree benches (equivalent to 275 trees in terms of air-purifying results) (link)

London aims to deliver super-fast broadband through tube tunnels (link)

Heathrow Airport runway exapnsion

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or