U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2018, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,589 posts, read 2,900,085 times
Reputation: 5120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
California and Florida are said to be just like Japan. Texas is getting there too.
LAX is also going to see some improvements, which is also some good news, as it's another airport that is often the subject of much criticism.


LAX breaks ground on a $1.6-billion midfield terminal that will add 12 gates for aircraft - Los Angeles Times (2017)

In terms of tran stations the most complained about is NYC's Penn Station, which needs to be redeveloped once the new Moynihan Station is fully operational.

Penn Station's $1.6B revamp is officially moving forward - Curbed NY

There are some good and much needed infrastructure improvements going on in the US, even if they are not on the same scale as some countries in the Far East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2018, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,549 posts, read 4,678,598 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
California and Florida are said to be just like Japan. Texas is getting there too.
In terms of what? Public transportation? Who said that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 11:37 AM
 
12,628 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Reputation: 17277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
I hear the US lags behind a lot of developed countries in infrastructure For those of you who have been to other countries, how was the infrastructure there?
The US infrastructure is excellent. It has issues in my opinion with a decent rail system in many areas, but the road system has given way to towns and cities being design around a car, so a train pulling into the city center would need significant support via other public trans means to make it worth while over simply driving a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
California and Florida are said to be just like Japan. Texas is getting there too.
Who in the hell ever said that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 12:02 PM
 
3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times
Reputation: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LAX is also going to see some improvements, which is also some good news, as it's another airport that is often the subject of much criticism.


LAX breaks ground on a $1.6-billion midfield terminal that will add 12 gates for aircraft - Los Angeles Times (2017)

In terms of tran stations the most complained about is NYC's Penn Station, which needs to be redeveloped once the new Moynihan Station is fully operational.

Penn Station's $1.6B revamp is officially moving forward - Curbed NY

There are some good and much needed infrastructure improvements going on in the US, even if they are not on the same scale as some countries in the Far East.
I read that LAX is getting a people mover system. Hopefully it will be within the secure area so you don't have to go through security every time you have to change terminals. I almost missed my connecting flight because of that set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Um no. Only 13 countries have high-speed rails (max. speed >=300 kph).
For the last 22 years, I've been living in 3 of them. South Korea, Japan, and China.

So, when I think of the U.S., in 2018, just proposing its first bullet train...it seems really far behind to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Reputation: 9219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And then there are the auto and gas lobbies.
Yeah, U.S. will continue to get further behind...those lobbyists are too strong, and they have all of the U.S. politicians heavily in their back pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Reputation: 11163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
I hear the US lags behind a lot of developed countries in infrastructure For those of you who have been to other countries, how was the infrastructure there?
The U.S. highway and road system is one of the best. There 4.12 million miles of road, which is the largest road network of any country in the world.

However, the rail system in the U.S. is considered lacking compared to those in many other developed countries. I live near Washington DC, and the DC metro system is 119 miles in length. That is pretty large compared to most U.S. cities. A lot of them don't have any metro at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM
 
Location: DC area
82 posts, read 38,564 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S. highway and road system is one of the best. There 4.12 million miles of road, which is the largest road network of any country in the world.

However, the rail system in the U.S. is considered lacking compared to those in many other developed countries. I live near Washington DC, and the DC metro system is 119 miles in length. That is pretty large compared to most U.S. cities. A lot of them don't have any metro at all.
I agree that the U.S. highway system is good... much better than what Canada has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,549 posts, read 4,678,598 times
Reputation: 4293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
For the last 22 years, I've been living in 3 of them. South Korea, Japan, and China.

So, when I think of the U.S., in 2018, just proposing its first bullet train...it seems really far behind to me.
The US is vast and sparse, Korea and Japan are both incredibly dense countries. The comparison is pretty silly. The same goes for all other countries that have it.

China is vast, but its population size is far larger and the inhabitants are highly concentrated in the eastern part of the country. It's simply unreasonable to expect the US to build these railways. The probability of these projects being a waste of money is much much higher.

Australia and Canada are much more comparable. When a country is huge and sparse, high-speed rail is simply redundant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 02:55 PM
 
3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times
Reputation: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, the u.s. has metros, of course. But 50 states, at least 50+ cities that could have subways (I think every european capital city has a subway)....but U.S. only has them in the largest of cities - yeah, L.A. is a major world city, of course they'd have one. As an aside, L.A. is generally world-wide known as one of the largest western cities in the world with one of the worst public transportation or metro systems. Yeah, it is there, but it would be ranked real low on any scale, despite being one of the otherwise most important cities in the world.

But plenty of cities don't have subways...i.e. Cincinnati, Tampa, and all kinds of other large enough size cities that if were not in the U.S., and in another developed country, would definitely have metro lines.

High Speed Rail. It's great that California might build the first one in such a massive country. But, it's far from building an entire network of bullet trains connecting all the different cities - like you'd see in most other developed countries or even China.
Actually Texas might be the first. It's planning to use the same shinkansen technology as Japan, and they plan to have it up and running in a few years.

https://www.texascentral.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top