U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 PM

760 posts, read 307,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am not American but doesn't LA have a metro.

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority - Wikipedia

Los Angeles Metro Rail - Wikipedia

And isn't California planning a high speed rail network costing $77 Billion.

California High-Speed Rail - Wikipedia

Cost for California bullet train system rises to $77.3 Billion - Los Angeles Times

Whilst Florida has just completed the Brightline which is abig improvement for the area.

Brightline, Florida's new high-speed rail system, set to open this month

The Airport redevelopments at LaGuardia and JFK, are also a step in the right direction, as is investment in the LIRR and hopefully the new NYC Tunnels will get the go ahead soon. So it's not all bad news.
Don't know whether CAHSR would ever be built and running in reality, even if it does get built I would bet HSR would be very outdated by then. The system was planned around the same time most of China got their's planned, but they haven't built or opened any. Though the price tag is higher than the entire system in China and is projected to rise even more.

Bullet train style HSR makes much more sense in the Northeast corridor but now there is just the way overpriced Acela Express which is only marginally faster than the standard northeast regional but twice as overpriced. Northeast corridor is already overpriced enough.

Cities in the US just don't seem to be building state of the art new infrastructure. Most "New" transit projects in US cities are essentially just reinventing the "streetcar." and they don't seem much if any nicer or innovative compared to the systems that were built decades ago. I done another post on this regarding LA planning on spending billions on rather disappointing transportation projects in the decades to come. Nothing in that vision plan can hold a candle to what cities in China or Asia and some of Europe had been building for the last few decades.

Comparing Apples to apples roads and rails are built by state and local governments based on their needs. So comparably US cities of similar density i.e SF, LA, Seattle, D.C, Philadephia, NYC, Boston, Providence tends to severely lag behind other countries in infrastructure. Isn't just transit either which one can blame not enough density and lower ridership. As so many people pay road taxes and tolls in the US yet the roads have not improved much over the years.

And its about time they start renovating the airports. Airports in the US despite having so much passenger revenue remain a disgrace compared to their counterparts around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 2,159,042 times
we need a better passenger rail system

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 PM

486 posts, read 427,962 times
I was just in Vietnam last week and they have Uber motorbikes, where you hop on the back of the driver's scooter. Pretty cool. I think Uber Vietnam just got bought out by some local SE Asian company that offers the same services like Uber. Forgot the name.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:45 AM

1,303 posts, read 361,224 times
Uber is not "infrastructure" It is just people tapping into the infrastructure to provide a commercial service alernative. If there are no derivable roads, there is nothing Uber can do to cover that shortfall.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:21 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,977,862 times
In terms of freeways, the US has one of the best if not best system in the world.

Public transit & rail systems, the US overall does a poor job, not only compared to the systems in Europe & Asia but also compared to the other Anglophone countries such as Aus & Can.

Plus the public mentality. I drive a Lexus SUV in my usual life in Northern California- However, on a recent trip to Texas I relied on public transport (which I often do when traveling) and even waited for a public bus. I swear people looked at me like I was an alien, standing at the bus stop by the Dallas Galleria.

Recently I was also taking the bullet train in Japan. Yes the relatively small size of the country, the population density, the acceptance of rail systems in the daily existence, are factors. No way anything of that scale can be ever achieved in the aspirations of California or Texas with their bullet-train dreams.

US airports generally have a terrible atmosphere compared to counterparts in other areas of the world. Many of the larger Asian airports consider "passenger experience"- something American airports leave at the door. Compared to Anglosphere counterparts, American airports also fall short based on my travels.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 628,863 times
I can compare North East USA and California with Western Europe, Korea and Japan.

Transit, roads, bridges, rail and aviation are generally much worse in the USA. No surprise here. I think Western Europe has more consistent quality in energy, water supply and sanitation over both East Asia and USA, which are variable and difficult to sample.

The US does much better in IT infrastructure, being slightly better than Western Europe and much of Asia outside of South Korea.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 AM

71 posts, read 12,383 times
The US has much better roads than Australia but in Sydney we have a good public transport network. Also a massive amount is being spent on upgrading our infrastructure. Here there is a growing opposition to spending on roads and a push to improve the rail and light rail even more. The state government was pretty much forced to bring in a new train timetable last year and it has had some challenges implementing it. The number of users of public transport keeps growing and growing. Uber is not a solution to anything here as we need less cars on the road, not more.

Our airports are fairly good and I have to confess being shocked at the airport when we arrived in NYC a few years ago as I am used to Asian airports.
We first travelled to Singapore forty years ago and it has been fascinating watching the development of that city. We are now starting to see the same happening in China and we're truly amazed by the roads and high speed rail networks.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 AM

6,449 posts, read 2,132,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Don't know whether CAHSR would ever be built and running in reality, even if it does get built I would bet HSR would be very outdated by then. The system was planned around the same time most of China got their's planned, but they haven't built or opened any. Though the price tag is higher than the entire system in China and is projected to rise even more.

Bullet train style HSR makes much more sense in the Northeast corridor but now there is just the way overpriced Acela Express which is only marginally faster than the standard northeast regional but twice as overpriced. Northeast corridor is already overpriced enough.

Cities in the US just don't seem to be building state of the art new infrastructure. Most "New" transit projects in US cities are essentially just reinventing the "streetcar." and they don't seem much if any nicer or innovative compared to the systems that were built decades ago. I done another post on this regarding LA planning on spending billions on rather disappointing transportation projects in the decades to come. Nothing in that vision plan can hold a candle to what cities in China or Asia and some of Europe had been building for the last few decades.

Comparing Apples to apples roads and rails are built by state and local governments based on their needs. So comparably US cities of similar density i.e SF, LA, Seattle, D.C, Philadephia, NYC, Boston, Providence tends to severely lag behind other countries in infrastructure. Isn't just transit either which one can blame not enough density and lower ridership. As so many people pay road taxes and tolls in the US yet the roads have not improved much over the years.

And its about time they start renovating the airports. Airports in the US despite having so much passenger revenue remain a disgrace compared to their counterparts around the world.

I agree, however any improvements to busy airports and train stations has to be good news.

LaGuardia, JFK and LAX Airports were the subject of much criticusm as is Penn Station, so investment and redevelopment has to be welcome news. The NYC Subway also desperately needs a new signal system and some much needed refurbuishment, as it was a much more reliable system in the 1990's until money was diverted elsewhere by numerous Mayors and the city and state continued to argue of funds.

In terms of LaGuardia they are virtually rebuilding the entire airport from what I am led to believe, and JFK is also seeing a massive redevelopment.

The Long Island Rail Road is also seeing bottle necks dealt with via new track and if course will terminate at the new Moyniham Station taking some pressure off Penn Station and allowing for a redevelopment of Penn, a station that really needs pulling down and starting again from fresh, which is what they are going to do with London's 1960's Euston Station.

In terms of high speed rail, it's just not cost effective in many parts of the US with lower population density, as you rightly point out.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-04-2018 at 05:19 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 17,177,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think it's actually the second one in the US. The first one was the Acela Express.
The Acela Express goes from Washington DC to Boston. It is closest thing to high-speed rail currently in the U.S., but it still takes 2 hours 45 minutes to go from DC to NYC (about 220 miles).

It is faster and cheaper to fly.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 AM

6,449 posts, read 2,132,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The Acela Express goes from Washington DC to Boston. It is closest thing to high-speed rail currently in the U.S., but it still takes 2 hours 45 minutes to go from DC to NYC (about 220 miles).

It is faster and cheaper to fly.

The Acela Express is a good train service and in a high density population route such as the US East Coast faster and more frequent train services do work.

Subway Signal Upgrade needs to be NYC's priority, as the system is in need of investment and much needed refurbishment.

In terms of longer distance travel, the plane is going to be the main mode of public transport in a country as large as the US, as the population density is just not there to justify high speed rail in many parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or