U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 12:56 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,825,365 times

Advertisements

Many Americans live in suburban SFHs.
They shop in malls and supermarkets in the suburbs too, and do not travel to "big cities" for fun.
They won't be interested in using public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM

10,602 posts, read 7,332,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
US rail is bad at least for passengers. But the US has a world class interstate system that other countries have modeled after, including China. US airports are mostly good, but a few are needing upgrades.

US infrastructure is also old and comparing it to developing countries with brand new infrastructure isnít entirely fair and again rail, and perhaps some inter city public infrastructure isnít good. But itís pretty easy for foreigners to rent cars and drive themselves around.

We are a car dependent culture and I donít think there is anything wrong with that.

A lot of smaller cities in China or Europe do have pretty bad airports and train stations. Besides the high speed rail, most Chinese trains are pretty crappy.
Depends. The Amtrak Cascasdes between Vancouver, BC to Seattle, and Portland, Oregon, is fine.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:02 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,998,851 times
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many Americans live in suburban SFHs.
They shop in malls and supermarkets in the suburbs too, and do not travel to "big cities" for fun.
They won't be interested in using public transportation.
This is true. For instance, I'm in the suburbs only 50 miles from Los Angeles, but I very rarely go there except to the airport. Everything I need is a few miles from my house. I like the flexibility of driving a car (and walking), and have no need for bus or train transportation.

It seems that tourists are annoyed by our lack of public transit. People in the densest urban areas do use public transit, but in general our infrastructure is not based around what would be convenient for international tourists. Tourists don't spend a lot of time in the 'burbs or the rural areas anyway, so why would they care if we don't have high-speed rail connecting everything.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:52 PM

3,754 posts, read 3,147,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I really hope someone talks some sense into a politician's head concerning the Cali high speed rail.

Anyway OP, when it comes to US infrastructure there are many logistical and political obstacles in the way and some even cultural.

For starters is the sheer land mass of the US. A transportation network could work well for the east coast because it's compact but for the west and south it is hard to fathom. Most of the countries with better infrastructures are small so it's easier to manage. China is making an effort but there is a reason why they can make such an honest effort and we cannot.

Which brings me to the political obstacles, mainly the fear of an overarching central government. China has a very centralized government which has its hands in everything so it can make something like this happen with little complication. In the US, our infrastructure is usually delegated to the states and even without delegating there are still legal and zoning issues to consider.

And then there are the auto and gas lobbies. Here in California we once had a great public transportation system, the Pac Electric in the early 20th century. Then big auto killed it and freeways were built. The addition of suburbs buried it. The metro lines are making a comeback because it has gotten so crowded on the roads.

Of course here in the US because of our car culture I don't see an upgrade on our transcontinental rail system for a long time.
This, completely.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:38 PM

1,480 posts, read 905,099 times
We really don't need bullet trains. It'll still be cheaper to fly even though flying in the US sucks. Really, a lot of things just suck to do in the US. Whenever I'm in Japan, everything is just so nice. Tokyo is a really good model city though I'm sure China's cities will become even better. Tokyo will probably still have better nightlife, but I digress.

We sold our souls to the car and suburbia in the 1950s. We don't plan for sustainability. LA's mass transit? It might have been useful 20 years ago. They need something with more umph. I hate LA because of the necessity of a car. Driving might have been nice in the 1930s when our population was less, but there's too many cars now, too many people, too many traffic accidents. It also feels like we don't care about getting people from point A to point B. Politicians just want to give little toys to sate probably the developers in their back pockets. De Blasio wanted to do a street car from Sunset Park in Brooklyn to Astoria in Queens. Wtf??

I'll be back in Tokyo at the end of the month. I've been considering moving to Japan for a bit just to get away from America for a bit. I need some fresh air. There are pretty great benefits of America, but I find being away helps cement that. I can't get my income at my career level for instance and I realize that after every job I see advertised across the Pacific. With higher take home pay comes higher quality of life. Just a shame our service quality is basically in shambles compared what I've seen in Asia. I'd love it if we had at least 1 high quality national airline, so tired of US airlines lowering the quality of their service...

Old 04-04-2018, 05:32 PM

3,324 posts, read 8,299,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
We really don't need bullet trains. It'll still be cheaper to fly even though flying in the US sucks. Really, a lot of things just suck to do in the US. Whenever I'm in Japan, everything is just so nice. Tokyo is a really good model city though I'm sure China's cities will become even better. Tokyo will probably still have better nightlife, but I digress.

We sold our souls to the car and suburbia in the 1950s. We don't plan for sustainability. LA's mass transit? It might have been useful 20 years ago. They need something with more umph. I hate LA because of the necessity of a car. Driving might have been nice in the 1930s when our population was less, but there's too many cars now, too many people, too many traffic accidents. It also feels like we don't care about getting people from point A to point B. Politicians just want to give little toys to sate probably the developers in their back pockets. De Blasio wanted to do a street car from Sunset Park in Brooklyn to Astoria in Queens. Wtf??

I'll be back in Tokyo at the end of the month. I've been considering moving to Japan for a bit just to get away from America for a bit. I need some fresh air. There are pretty great benefits of America, but I find being away helps cement that. I can't get my income at my career level for instance and I realize that after every job I see advertised across the Pacific. With higher take home pay comes higher quality of life. Just a shame our service quality is basically in shambles compared what I've seen in Asia. I'd love it if we had at least 1 high quality national airline, so tired of US airlines lowering the quality of their service...
I wish I could live in Tokyo again. The 3 years I lived there were the best years of my life. Leaving your car at home and taking the train anywhere really helped the quality of life. Before there I lived in San Diego for 10 years, and driving there was the main source of my frustration and unhappiness. I also hated other places where I needed a car to get around, including Catania, Italy; Norfolk, VA, and Jacksonville, FL. I live in Atlanta now and I purposely chose a house that's close to a train station, and I can get around most parts of the city by train. But Tokyo is the one city in the world where I'd be even more happy to live than here.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:43 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,282,565 times
we need to populate the heartland so we can have more rail service.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,558,852 times
Here are some passenger rail maps

Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 PM

11,930 posts, read 11,506,666 times
Can someone overlay those maps with a population density map?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:23 AM

401 posts, read 143,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Here are some passenger rail maps

The map is not correct for Turkey. Turkey has much longer rail lines.

https://www.seat61.com/Turkey2.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or