Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better city: Sydney. Australia or San Jose, California?
San Jose 3 8.33%
Sydney 33 91.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times

Advertisements

What I see online is that greater San Francisco has a population of 7 million, of which San Jose is part of.
One difference to remember is that Sydney has a population of more than 20 % of that of the whole of Australia, it is the state capital as well as the oldest city. That in itself does not make it good or bad, but it is very prominent.

I must have a look at San Jose when we are in San Francisco soon. I have been wondering what to see that is new to us. Are there any particular tourist attractions that you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:11 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose, California vs Sydney, Australia: which is a better city?

Criteria:

1. Economy
2. Diversity
3. Weather
4. Transportation
5. Most Modern Airport
6. Downtown Core
7. Education
8. Entertainment
9. Natural Scenery
Sydney in a blowout and it's not close.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Sydney in a blowout and it's not close.
Have you been to both cities? NO!!!!!

Old 04-09-2018, 07:44 PM

Honest and well knowledgeable traveled people please.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
What I see online is that greater San Francisco has a population of 7 million, of which San Jose is part of.
One difference to remember is that Sydney has a population of more than 20 % of that of the whole of Australia, it is the state capital as well as the oldest city. That in itself does not make it good or bad, but it is very prominent.

I must have a look at San Jose when we are in San Francisco soon. I have been wondering what to see that is new to us. Are there any particular tourist attractions that you recommend?
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

Check out Downtown SJ: San Pedro and SoFA markets-really good hangouts and lots of foods of all ethnic background, Tech and San Jose Museum of art, Martin Luther King public library/SJ city hall and California and Hammer Theater

Visit Santana Row: European enclave with expensive apartments over upscale shops/restaurants and cafes'. Winchester Mystery House next door to this urban hub.

Visit Little Saigon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLL5NwNrrs

Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM

Also visit Japantown and Little Portugal- home of the only Michelin guided Portuguese restaurants, Adega, and really cool church. https://www.bayarea.com/things-to-do...ugal-san-jose/

Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
San Jose sucks. It's just a suburban-looking city, with a ton of residential housing everywhere. The little bit of walkable area they call a downtown is something you can walk through in 20 minutes.

Sydney by a long shot. Sydney is beautiful, has beaches, has tons of walkable neighbors, and just plus plus plus. There is a reason that Sydney has tons of travel books dedicated themselves just to it. They have some of the best city beaches in the world.

San Jose is more like a travel blurb consisting of not more than 2 pages summed up in the 'excursions from San Francisco' section.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.864.../data=!5m1!1e2 Sydney Metro Rail
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3551.../data=!5m1!1e2 San Jose Metro (4 Light Stations)

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your point, that Sydney's regional rail network could certainly improve, but, I'll give you an example. When we visited, we were staying at Brother in Law's place in Koreatown, no more than 5 or so miles from Downtown SJ. We walked up to 82 (El Camino Real, I believe?) and took a 35 minute bus ride to get into downtown. I think it's generally clear that Sydneysiders esp. in the core would have an easier time getting around sans car. WalkScore isn't an exact representative, but San Jose, for example, has 117 K people (out of 1.025M) living in neighborhoods with a walkscore exceeding 70 (including 1K exceeding 90). Sydney, has a population of 4.4M, within city limits, with approximately 1.4 MILLION living in neighborhoods with a walkscore exceeding 70, including nearly 200K living in neighborhoods exceeding 90.

So, while I like San Jose quite a bit, and I'm glad you're proud/repping it, as cities go, these two are like apples to oranges. Again though, I think a Bay Metro vs. Sydney Metro area comparison might be much more interesting/lively. I might just go for the Bay Area (including SJ, on that one), though I'm not sure, as a number of quality of life metrics would seem to point in Sydney's direction, too... (it does REALLY well there).

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
5 million is the whole metro of Sydney. Sydney itself is 40,000. Yeah, I guess this country qualifies the whole metro as the single city. San Jose metro is 7 million. 2 million in Santa Clara county alone.
I think your numbers are bit off and inflating San Jose's size and importance.

San Francisco Metro Area (MSA): 4,727,357
San Jose Metro Area (MSA): 1,998,463
Bay Area (CSA): 8,837,789
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World